Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
inlophe
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,900
Message 1 of 6

Lenovo Yoga 530-14ARR AMD graphics driver problem with x265 video playback

Hi,

I recently purchased my new yoga laptop (Yoga 530-14ARR)  with AMD ryzen 5 2500U processor in it. I used it regularly for about 2 weeks, but notice some problem with it several days ago. Whenever I watch x265/HEVC videos with hardware encoding (I use MPC-HC), the video always freeze exactly at 45mins mark. Everything works fine for x264 or other type of encoding and I don't want to use software encoding because it won't cut it because of the quality of the video and it ends up choppy.

After trying to search it online, I found some discussion on reddit about some people have the exact same problems with ryzen and several of them conclude that the problem lies within the driver, because when they update the driver to version 18 (they are on driver version 17 when they have the problem) the problem's gone.

Unfortunately, AMD does not provide driver for ryzen 5 2500U directly. I can only get the driver through lenovo's site and it looks like how they label the version is different too.

I did update all my driver yesterday with the new driver that came out at Sept. 26, but the video problem still exist.

Is there anything more that I can do?

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 1,863
Message 2 of 6

Re: Lenovo Yoga 530-14ARR AMD graphics driver problem with x265 video playback

Hi inlophe,

Welcome to the community forums.

Try uninstalling the Intel and AMD driver in device manager. Make sure to delete software drivers if prompted before uninstalling it. Once done, go to our support website https://lnv.gy/2OYDPse to download and install the updated Intel and AMD drivers then observe the performance of the laptop. Let us know how it goes.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

inlophe
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,844
Message 3 of 6

Thank you for your response.

It's still not working, the video still freeze at 45mins (I forgot to mention this on the initial post, only the video froze, audio still works fine after 45mins).

I did uninstall and delete the driver from device manager then install fresh driver, after that I tried to play the video but still froze. Later in the day, I tried delete the driver using AMDCleanupUtility that comes with the AMD driver folder and then install fresh driver, but no luck too.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 1,838
Message 4 of 6

Could you tell us what is the software that you're using to play the videos? If you are using a software, have you tried reinstalling it? Are you experiencing the same problem streaming videos online? We would like to look into this further. 

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

inlophe
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,830
Message 5 of 6

I did reinstall all the video player components after the problem first occur, but no luck. Just now, after I read your reply, I tried to reinstall it again (with newly installed driver in mind), and the video still froze.

I haven't try watch long videos online, so I don't really know what will happen.

I use combination of MPC-HC(using DXVA2 native as Hardware Decoder) + madVR DirectShow video renderer + ReClock DirectShow Filter.

From what I read in the reddit thread, Kodi and VLC have the same problem too (the common thing is, using hardware decoding).

I'll post the reddit thread here, maybe it can help.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/8k5w30/hevc_x265_playback_on_2400g_in_kodi/

inlophe
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,053
Message 6 of 6

Just recently, AMD started supporting Ryzen APU driver download on their site, including this Yoga (AMD Ryzen 5 2500U).

After updating the driver with the new driver directly from AMD's site (win10-64bit-radeon-software-adrenalin-2019-edition-19.2.3-feb25), this problem is gone.

I haven't test the new graphic driver on lenovo support page (February 2019 releases), but from the version number, the one from AMD's site is the most recent (version 18 on lenovo's vs version 19 on AMD's)

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors