Paper Tape
Views: 97
Message 1 of 1

Lenovo Yoga 700-14ISK Seemingly Permanent Black Screen

Model: Lenovo Yoga 700-14ISK

Processor: Core i5-6200U

RAM: 8 GB Ram

Hard Drive: 256 GB SSD

Graphics Card: NVIDIA Geforce 940M + whatever integrated graphics card comes with this model, unsure.

Hi, I've been experiencing a problem with my Lenovo Yoga 700 laptop where the screen remains permanently black. My computer will turn on, or so it seems, but nothing appears on the screen. I've tested many potential solutions to try to fix this issue, which I'll list shortly, but unfortunately nothing I've done so far has worked.

This issue first appeared this past Monday on June 18th, 2018. I happened to be using my laptop at the time, when the screen suddenly went black. As far as I can remember there was no noise when the screen went black. I tried to get the screen to come back on by increasing the brightness and pushing the screen backlight button, but neither worked. So I forced shut down my laptop by holding the power button in, and then shortly restarted it to find the screen was still black. However, when powering on the laptop the fans work, the keyboard lights come on (and I can toggle them on and off using "FN + Spacebar", tho I've discovered that after the laptop has been "on" a little while, say 5 minutes or so, the keyboard light gets stuck on and "FN + Spacebar" will no longer toggle it off), and the Power Button Light on the side of my laptop turns on.

Since then I've researched the issue for Lenovo laptops, and luckily most forum topics I've found people were able to find solutions to their issues. Nothing I've read has worked for me tho.

Here's what I've tried, that I can remember:

• I've held the power button in on my laptop for 30-60 seconds to try to "discharge static" in the machine. I've done this while the battery was partially full, completely drained, and even removed from my laptop.
  • I've taken off the back cover of my laptop to clean the inside and remove the battery. Screen still doesn't work with battery removed.
  • Obviously I've adjusted screen brightness to make sure laptop isn't just on low/off brightness, I've pressed the button that completely turns on/off the screen backlight to make sure it's on, and I've pressed "Fn + F2" which I read should do the same thing.
  • In addition to letting the battery drain, I also left my laptop untouched with drained battery for over 24 hours before trying to get it to work again. I wasn't hopeful with this, just desperate.
  • I purchased a micro-hdmi to hdmi adapter so I could connect my laptop to a different monitor via hdmi. Screen images still don't appear on that other monitor.

Off the top of my head this is mostly what I've done to troubleshoot. I've also tried increasing the volume using the keyboard keys when I turn on the laptop, just to see if I can hear any log-in sounds. While the screen is black I've tried to log-in to my computer too (just waited a while to ensure bootup would've normally completed, then entered my password and hit enter), hoping the computer was functioning correctly besides the screen. As far as I can tell nothing happens.

At this point I'm guessing this is some hardware issue, but I'm hoping someone else might have some other ideas I should try--especially because there is stuff on my laptop I would really like to not lose that I stupidly didn't have backed up elsewhere, and I'd like to avoid sending in the laptop for service to avoid losing that stuff.

Thanks for any help.

Top Kudoed Authors