Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WiredDan
Punch Card
Views: 2,609
Message 1 of 13

Lenovo Yoga 700 710 720 900 broken hinge cracked screen glass

The symptoms:

One day when you've opened or closed the lid as you would with normal use, you here a pop and notice that the screen has separated from the lid body in one of the corners near the hinge (the screen glass may or may develop a crack a that point). If you chose to do nothing though, this problem will only get worse and, eventually, the screen glass will crack

The problem:

The root cause of the problem is the use of glue/adhesive applied by the manufacturer to keep hinge assembly attached to lid body. After a while the glue fails to hold the hinge in place and it separates from the lid. When that happens (with a pop), the hinge mounting plate (made of steel) is now moving freely between the screen and the lid so when you try to move the lid, it's pushing against the back of the screen causing screen glass to bend outward.

This applies to ALL Lenovo Yoga series notebooks as their hinge design is the same and Lenovo is aware of it... but choses to do nothing.

Support:

Given that Lenovo designed this hinge and chose the materials and methods to assemble it, you would think that it would take the responsibility for it failing to last passed warranty. Unfortunately, no such luck. When you call support, you get nothing but denial and blame for mishandling their state-of-the-art product and causing it to fail. So you end up with a total disappointment on your hands and a bitter taste of unfairness.

Repair:

The hinge can be repaired in a number of ways with common tools and materials. Here is how I did it:

- Remove the screen (find instructions online)

- Clean hinge plate and lid body (remove all traces of manufacturer applied adhesive; remove all traces of oil/grease)

- Roughen both surfaces with emery cloth

- Apply a liberal amount of metal-to-metal type adhesive - I used JB Weld epoxy 

- Wait 24 hours and reassemble the screen

I know I am using the same methods used by the manufacturing but hopefully the result will be a better bond and a longer life of the hinges.  

Hinge1.jpgHinge2.jpgHinge3.jpgHinge4.jpg

insy747
Paper Tape
Views: 2,247
Message 2 of 13

Re: Lenovo Yoga 700 710 720 900 broken hinge cracked screen glass

I have the same problem for my yoga 720. The hinge just broke through the screen one day when I opened the lid. I've only used for about 1.5 years. Did your solution work? Or was it just a temporary fix?

WiredDan
Punch Card
Views: 2,227
Message 3 of 13

Yes, it still holds. Make sure to clean (degrease) the area and roughen both surfaces (hinge and lid) for a stronger bond.
Here are some tips:
- Align everything before applying the glue 

- Mark the outline of the hinges and screw holes on the lid (you can remove the orange dots)
- Use strong clamps to hold the pieces together.
- Protect the screw holes (the threads) from squeeze out.
- Wait at least 24 hours before reassembly.

insy747
Paper Tape
Views: 1,854
Message 4 of 13

Lenovo yoga 720 broken hinge

Bought my lenovo yoga 720 13inch from my dads friend about 6 months ago. He used the laptop for a few months and left it with my dad when he left the country. I used the laptop for a while just to check it out and fell in love with it. So i asked my dad if he could buy it from him, he agreed but his friend sold it barely below the original price as it was'nt used much.

6 months in, i'm enjoying everything about this laptop and suddenly the right hinge breaks and cracks half of the screen. I was absolutely devastated as i had no warranty and repairing it would be expensive. With much effort i convinced my dad to send it for repairs and was able to use for another month before it broke again. Money gone down the drain.

After a bit of research i found out that many people had the same problem, i just feel so cheated. I'm about to go into university with no laptop and i'm doing an IT degree. My dad won't fund me as he's already paid so much for the laptop, I might have to start part time work now just to get money for a new laptop. No words can explain how dissapointed i am at lenovo as this isn't a problem caused by the customer, rather a fault with the companies engineering (you can't tell me thousands of people who've experienced the same problem are the cause of it). It's a shame because I loved everything about this laptop and believed it was worth every penny. I feel worse for my dad who has to see his hard earned money go down the drain.

heres a pic of the broken hinge20190710_180114[1].jpg

insy747
Paper Tape
Views: 1,845
Message 5 of 13

Solution only lasted a month for me Smiley Sad. This laptop was a waste of money. Never buying lenovo again.

NevilLe_LeNovo
What's DOS?
Views: 1,547
Message 6 of 13

Thanks @WiredDan for your excellent critique of Lenovo's manufacturing methods and their refusal to take responsibility for their manufacturing defect.  I'm another with the same problem - never dropped it, just one day opening the lid the screen separated from the backing.  In my case, the wifi stopped working too.  Do you happen to know why?  Do you happen to know if I might be able to fix that if I attempt your method for fixing the lid, and while the lid and screen are separated, glue the wifi [adapter/thing] into place?

I have 3 kids age 8 thru 11.  Between them, my wife and myself, presuming each laptop lasts 3 years, I expect I'll be buying ~17 laptops in the next 10 years.  If Lenovo doesn't take responsibility for their manufacturing defect, thus essentially making me throw out a high-end laptop after only 13 months, then 0 of those 17 will be Lenovo.

WiredDan
Punch Card
Views: 1,379
Message 7 of 13

@NevilLe_LeNovo wrote:

Thanks @WiredDan for your excellent critique of Lenovo's manufacturing methods and their refusal to take responsibility for their manufacturing defect.  I'm another with the same problem - never dropped it, just one day opening the lid the screen separated from the backing.  In my case, the wifi stopped working too.  Do you happen to know why?  Do you happen to know if I might be able to fix that if I attempt your method for fixing the lid, and while the lid and screen are separated, glue the wifi [adapter/thing] into place?

I have 3 kids age 8 thru 11.  Between them, my wife and myself, presuming each laptop lasts 3 years, I expect I'll be buying ~17 laptops in the next 10 years.  If Lenovo doesn't take responsibility for their manufacturing defect, thus essentially making me throw out a high-end laptop after only 13 months, then 0 of those 17 will be Lenovo.

I feel your pain, and fully understand the frustration of not being able to figure out what is causing this thing to fail in so many ways. Unfortunately, I have no clue how to help you with the wifi adapter - mine hasn't failed yet (just a matter of time, I am sure). Since the time I put a fix for the hinges, I started to experience a host of other issues: overheating, random shutdowns, dead USB ports, 30-minute battery life.

To be honest I see no future in this brand and have no hopes of them improving build quality of their consumer-grade products. In fact, I am convinced that planned-obsolescence is part of their culture and/or their business model.

PS: I have since purchased an Asus UX461 ultrabook that I am extremely happy with... so far...

Desmarais
Paper Tape
Views: 818
Message 8 of 13

I am so disappointed to find these experiences since I just realized my beloved right hinge has separated after only a short time using the 720. I thought I was buying a solid machine and am very upset to hear Lenovo will not assist or take responsibility for an obvious design flaw. It now looks like our school board will likely steer clear of Lenovo products (Chromebooks) do to this experience. 

It's obvious 3 minutes into researching that this is a design flaw and one Lenovo should be taking responsibility for. 

jvarothy
Paper Tape
Views: 572
Message 9 of 13

The Yoga is not the only lenovo laptop with the problem of broken hinge.  

Our first Lenovo laptop was purchased in Nov-Dec 2012.  It served us well until about Dec 2017-March 2018 during that period the edges on both corners popped up.  This made the laptop unusable.  Caused the screen to continuely scroll.  Other than that the computer had been working ok.  It was just an old computer.

On April 2018 we purchased another Lenovo laptop Ideapad thinking that the problem with the old computer was a fluke.  Sept 2019 I can now say that the problem was not a fluke.  The current computer is 1 year 5 months old and the back right corner has popped open.  It appears that this is a construction defect.   

Both Laptops were about $500 on sale so they were not low end laptops.  

Trying to find a fix for the ideapad but having are hard time finding anything for the ideapad.

Ramsol
Paper Tape
Views: 419
Message 10 of 13

Lenovo should take responsibility and replace these laptops. Mine lasted a year and 10 months and that was because of minimal usage, what a waste of money.BD8BD0E1-2D65-4B6C-BBCF-3BF74FA7F1A4.jpeg

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors