cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rens2999
Paper Tape
Views: 894
Message 11 of 16

Yoga 720 15IKB - Cursor / Pointer Pixelated and Jumping When Working in Background

Hello everyone,

I'm having a problem that occurs on different Lenovo models as well. The mouse cursor for 'working in background' will become weird / pixelated at random. It'll also shrink and "jump" when it changes from the normal cursor to the pixelated 'working in background' cursor. See image below.

wrecked cursor.png

The problem has also been described in the following forums regarding different models.

Ideapad 720s 14IKB Cursor/Pointer Pixelated and Jumping When Working in Background

Mouse cursor jumps when working in background - Yoga 500-15ISK

Strange mouse pointer behaviour when working in background - Lenovo Ideapad 510S 14ISK

However the solutions posted there don't seem to work for this particular model, as those solutions seem more like a clunky workaround instead of a professional solution.

The solutions offered in the linked posts are as follows:

- Disable the Lenovo Utility (but the Caps Lock on-screen indicator will not show and Flight mode hotkey will no longer work)

- Install the Wacom Touch Firmware Package V.02.16. (The installer doesn't seem to launch on the Yoga 720 15IKB)

- Change the text and icon size scaling in windows to 149% (Which makes things too small on the Yoga 720 15IKB with a 4k screen)

Anybody out there who knows what's the real cause of this problem and how to properly fix this instead of one of these workarounds?

Kind regards,

Rens van der Meer

EDIT: I found a new possibly solution here: Lenovo Yoga 710 (14") Pixelated Mouse Cursor Issue/Problem which I'm curently testing. This solution involves "opening compatiblity options for utility.exe and setting there DPI scaling to "Application". That solves the problem when 150% scaling is used.". If you want to try this out for yourselves, the utility.exe file can be found at "C:\Program Files\Lenovo\LenovoUtility\".

przemek1234pl
802.11n
Views: 874
Message 12 of 16

Re: Yoga 720 15IKB - Cursor / Pointer Pixelated and Jumping When Working in Background

The root of the problem is in my opinion a bug in Windows 10 which Lenovo Utlility accidentally triggers. I've reported the problem on the forum to Lenovo and also to Microsoft via Feedback Hub. I can also say that in Spring Creators Update beta builds the problem is partly fixed. The cursor still becomes sometimes quite blurry but it's not as glitched and pixelated as in stable builds and it doesn't jump anymore.

Lenovo, seriously, please fix it. I have Lenovo Yoga 500 and I had to uninstall Lenovo Utliity cause the bug was driving me insane.

Fortunately for people who don't want to make any workarrounds when cursor becomes glitched you just need to touch the screen anywhere and it returns to normal state.
przemek1234pl
802.11n
Views: 666
Message 13 of 16

Re: Lenovo Yoga 710 (14") Pixelated Mouse Cursor Issue/Problem

Seems like the glitch does not happen any more in the latest Insider Preview builds of Windows 10 (specifically in 17661 and later). I've tested it and it doesn't happen any more. These builds are preview versions of Windows 10 feature update that will appear about October 2018. In meantime there is a simple solution - disable or uninstall Lenovo Utility application which seems to be invoking this effect on Windows 10 Creators Update and later. But keep in mind that without Lenovo Utility some hotkeys won't work (specifically Flight Mode Switch, Microphone On/Off Switch, Camera Privacy Mode Switch). But I think it's a small fee for solving that issue. 

balboa41
What's DOS?
Views: 509
Message 14 of 16

Re: Lenovo Yoga 710 (14") Pixelated Mouse Cursor Issue/Problem

Thank you very much! This worked for me, finally! It is so annoying the jumping cursor issue. I solved it by disabling the Lenovo Utility on Task Manager, on the "Startup" tab.
Dammmienz
Paper Tape
Views: 94
Message 15 of 16

Re: Yoga 720 15IKB - Cursor / Pointer Pixelated and Jumping When Working in Background

This solution works and you won't have to disable Lenovo Utility and lose your hotkeys.

Simply go to Task Manager > go to "Details" tab > Look for "utility.exe" > Right-click and select properties > go to "Compatibility" tab > 1. select "Change high DPI settings" > 2. Tick Override high DPI scaling behaviour. Scaling performed by APPLICATION

Annotation 2019-07-16 123847.png

The loading cursor will not be animated, but at least it isn't distorted and you don't have to lose the functionalities your hotkeys.

Hope this helps! Smiley Happy

Tlgozarslan
Fanfold Paper
Views: 65
Message 16 of 16

Just uninstall Lenovo utility and download it from the windows store. And install it again.

UWP Lenovo Utility does not cause cursor jump problem.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors