Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JSK1121
Paper Tape
Views: 13,205
Message 1 of 15

Lenovo Yoga 720 (13") - Slow Wifi!

I am the owner of a brand new Lenovo Yoga 720, 13" screen, and the internet is pretty slow over wifi. I am getting download speeds 2x or 3x higher on my iPhone and on my wife's Macbook Air, and not sure why that would be the case as all devices are connected to the same wifi network.

Anyway, any help would be much appreciated from the community. Thank you!

Guru
Views: 13,074
Message 2 of 15

Re: Lenovo Yoga 720 (13") - Slow Wifi!

Can you try updating the wifi driver?

It should be one of these:
http://pcsupport.lenovo.com/ca/en/products/LAPTOPS-AND-NETBOOKS/YOGA-SERIES/YOGA-720-15IKB/downloads...
http://pcsupport.lenovo.com/ca/en/products/LAPTOPS-AND-NETBOOKS/YOGA-SERIES/YOGA-720-15IKB/downloads...

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U
JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 13,060
Message 3 of 15

Make sure to go to the website and update the drivers, even though your system is new, it may have been in the channel for a while, and the latest driver was just released on 5/17/2017.

http://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/yoga-series/yoga-720-13ikb/downloads

If you are running Windows 10 (Creators Edition) there are also some known issues that Microsoft is working on.    I used the work around below found on Microsoft TechNet site and it improved my WiFi speed back to close to what it was before the Creators Edition update.    Microsoft considers this an "emerging issue" I suspect that Microsoft may be releasing an update to address this soon, to if you are not comfortable typing in the commands below, you might wait unilt the next update.

Windows 10 Creators Edtion WiFi speed workaround    (None of the commands below are case sensitive)

• Right Click on Start, and select Command Prompt (Admin) or Windows Powershell (Admin)  (the latter being the default in the Creators Update version)
  • Next you need to run the following command to obtain the name of your WiFi interface:  netsh interface ipv4 show subinterface     
  •  Next type: netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface "Wireless Network Connection" mtu=1400 store=persistent   replacing the part between the quotes in blue with the name of your WiFi adapter obtained earlier  and then press Enter 
  • Next type:  Disable-NetAdapterRsc -Name Wireless Network Connection  and then press Enter  (Again replacing the part in blue with the name of your wireless adapter.

Note:  My WiFi interface was just called Wi-Fi, but yours may be different 

Command Examples assuming your adapter is also listed as Wi-Fi

• netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface "Wi-Fi" mtu=1400 store=persistent
  • Disable-NetAdapterRsc -Name Wi-Fi

Note:   You can restore the defaults by typing the following. 

• netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface "Wireless Network Connection" mtu=1500 store=persistent
  • Enable-NetAdapterRsc -Name Wireless Network Connection

Good Luck,

JSK1121
Paper Tape
Views: 13,026
Message 4 of 15

What do those command prompts above do? Thanks.

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 13,008
Message 5 of 15

They change the value of the Maximum Transmission Unit (MSU) from the default of 1500 to 1400 and the second command disables Receive Segement Coalescing (RSC) on the WiFi Adapter.    RSC is really not needed on a workstation

Microsoft released some updates for Windows 10 today, one of them being KB4022405 which addressed an issue with the Windows firewall, and applying that update seemed to fix the slow WiFi on my system without those changes to the MTU and RSC applied, so you might want to run Windows Update and see if that fixes your issue too.   My speed is still about 5Mbps slower than on my phone and tablet on average, but still acceptable.

• Press Windows Key + i to open Windows Settings
  • Select Update & Security
  • Select Check for Updates
  • Reboot once prompted to apply updates.

Good Luck,

Cheers,

yding
What's DOS?
Views: 9,311
Message 6 of 15

I just bought one yoga 13 from best buy,  i have same problem.  I cannot remote access my compamy computer while my old Dell computer can do it under same wifi and same location.  

I found the website opening is pretty slow with yoga. The response is much delayed.

WayneAZ
What's DOS?
Views: 10,463
Message 7 of 15

How do I know which of these drivers to apply?  When I look at my WiFi adapter it says "Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4A Wireless Network Adapter".  Not LiteOn nor Intel.

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 10,444
Message 8 of 15

What exact model of Lenovo laptop do you have...is it also a Yoga 720?

mswck
Fanfold Paper
Views: 9,846
Message 9 of 15

I have a Yoga 720 15" with an Intel dual band wireless AC 8265 card for Windows 10 64-bit.  Nothing worked (none of the above steps or calling support as Lenovo doesn't have this as the latest driver on their website) until I downloaded the latest wireless card package file from Intel (don't install at this point), uninstalled my wireless card from device manager, removed all temp files, ran the latest driver package.  Voila, it is back to working just fine.  Latest package as of today is:  19.70.0.5

lxchin
Paper Tape
Views: 9,775
Message 10 of 15

You are lucky, I did the same steps as you but the speed test shows it is slower then my iphone SE and Lenovo X1 by half the speed... Seriously Lenovo, can't you get something as simple as wifi to work???

Top Kudoed Authors