Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brett_li
What's DOS?
Views: 299
Message 1 of 3

Lenovo Yoga 720 15-IKB Shuts Down on Battery

Recently my Lenovo Yoga 720 15-IKB has started shutting down after a few minutes when on battery. It's fine when I use it plugged in. But once I unplug it and it's using battery (even when fully charged), it will consistently turn off after a few minutes. Nothing has changed that I know of since this started happening. It just seemed to start doing it one day. It hasn't been dropped or anything, it hasn't even left the house.

I read around a bit and saw the recommendation to update the BIOS. So I've attempted to update the BIOS via the official Lenovo support page but run into an issue and it can't complete. It has me download 4mcn33ww.exe and kicks off Insyde H20FFT (Flash Firmware Tool). The process appears to run as expected until it turns off the laptop to restart and once it boots back up with the screen black, a red message states "Warning: No Battery Connected, This process requires AC power and a charged battery to avoid accidental power-off during an update". I attached a photo of what I see. I, of course, have the laptop plugged in during this process so I'm not sure why it says that. And prior to starting the BIOS update, Windows states the laptop is, in fact, charging/plugged in.

At this point I'm stuck. The only potential fix I've found online is to update the BIOS, but I can't update the BIOS due to the AC power error it seems.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 219
Message 2 of 3

Re: Lenovo Yoga 720 15-IKB Shuts Down on Battery

Hi brett_li!

Welcome to the community forums.

The reason why the BIOS update is failing on your laptop because it's a part of a security procedure that before flashing the BIOS, you need to have enough power in the battery to avoid power interruption while the update. Could you try to reseat the battery on your laptop, charge the battery to 100% and try to update the BIOS again? You can check this video http://download.lenovo.com/lts/RCNW1620/FOF/RCNW1620-Yoga720-12_REM_FRU_02_Battery.mp4 as a guide on how to reset the battery. Be reminded that this video is for another model, but it has the same procedure with the Yoga 720-15IKB.

Let us know how it goes.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Highlighted
jan1355
Paper Tape
Views: 165
Message 3 of 3

Re: Lenovo Yoga 720 15-IKB Shuts Down on Battery

I have this same issue on a new yoga 720. The link is a guide to removing the battery not resetting it.  Please help. Thank you

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors