cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shepshep42
Paper Tape
Views: 244
Message 1 of 3

Lenovo Yoga 720 15'' USB C issues (port can't keep up with multiple/high resolution devices)

I've got a relatively new Yoga 720 15". Ideally I'd like to be able to "dock" it on my desk by plugging in only the power cable and a USB C hub with my mouse, keyboard, monitor, and audio interface (behringer umc404hd) but I'm having trouble issues when connecting these to USB C hubs (I've tried a few).

The mouse, keyboard, and audio interface have worked for me just fine for over a year on another PC, and they work with the Yoga as long as I only use the regular USB 3 ports. I can even use them all connected to a single USB 3 hub which is plugged into one of the regular USB 3 ports.

The monitor works fine connected to USB C hubs or a simple USB C-to-HDMI adatper, and doesn't seem to impact the issues I'm having.

----------

Basically, it seems like the USB C port can't handle a very high data throughput: If I plug in the audio interface to the USB C hub, my headphone output crackles every once in a while and sounds slightly staticy. When the mouse is also plugged in, the interface seems to crackle more frequently and reliable whenever I move the mouse around. The faster I'm moving the mouse, the more crackles. The keyboard also seems to cause increased crackles when I'm typing, but to a lesser extense.

The interface streams high resolution audio data with 4 channels out and 4 channels in and the mouse is a high dpi "laser" mouse, but neither one should even be a struggle over USB 2.

If I plug in just the keyboard it seems to be fine, however with the keyboard and mouse plugged in I frequently get either missed keys or missed key-up events so a key will repeat for a second or so like thiiiiiiiiiis. Just like with the crackly audio, the keyboard errors happen more frequently the more I move the mouse.

I've also tried replacing the mouse with two different portable wireless USB mice which are known to work fine and the same problem persists, although the keyboard/audio glitches occur less frequently than with the laser mouse.

Is there anything software-side that might be causing this? I have all drivers up to date according to Lenovo's system scan and Windows Update.

I'm convinced that if this is a hardware issue it's on the laptop side. I've tried multiple USB C hubs, including a replacement from one company after I emailed them about the issues I've been having , and all have the same issues.

Highlighted
shepshep42
Paper Tape
Views: 190
Message 2 of 3

Re: Lenovo Yoga 720 15'' USB C issues (port can't keep up with multiple/high resolution devices)

Tried this on a Ubuntu Live USB environment and although the keyboard and mouse issues aren't apparent there, the crackling from the audio interface is still present on Linux.

And once again everything works fine plugged into the normal USB ports.
shepshep42
Paper Tape
Views: 171
Message 3 of 3

Re: Lenovo Yoga 720 15'' USB C issues (port can't keep up with multiple/high resolution devices)

Bumping my thread to see if anyone has any suggestions. Is that allowed?

I've now tried another brand of USB-C hub with no luck. I've also tried another USB mouse and another audio interface which exhibit the same issues on the USB-C port but not the USB-A ports.

Does anyone have an idea of how I can further diagnose the issue here and determine/prove whether the problem lies with the laptop? Some quick googling found that wireshark is supposed to be able to record and analyze USB traffic, but it doesn't seem to detect anything plugged into the USB-C port (it sees devices connected through the USB-A ports, tho).

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors