Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lappen
Paper Tape
Views: 511
Message 1 of 4

Lenovo Yoga 720-15 usb-c hub not working

Hello,

i have a usb c hub with hdmi and usb and sd card ports. just a regular usbc hub, no thunderbolt hub.

I have it connected to the thunderbolt port on my Lenovo Yoga 720-15, but it wont detect the usb or sd cards i put in. the hdmi works without issue. i also tested the hub on another device and it works fine there and detects my usb stick and what not. i updated every driver and bios allready. i just cant figure out whats wrong.

it also wont let me boot if my hub is connected. even when theres nothing in it. i have to disconnect it before a restart or it will be stuck on boot.

thanks in advance

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 500
Message 2 of 4

Re: Lenovo Yoga 720-15 usb-c hub not working

Might help to know the precise make and model of the hub. Also the "other device" you tested it with.

I will say that USB-C is an evolving standard and compatibility seems to vary widely across devices. Adapter manufacturers don't seem to think universal compatibility is worth the effort. If it works with a Mac, they ship it out leaving the rest of us to beta-test the thing. I see this same complaint turning up on Dell and HP boards, too. I've also dealt with this. The USB-C on my 910 is different from my 920. Some adapters and chargers work with both of them and some only work with the 920. Makes sense as the USB-C "standard" was different during the 910s design cycle. (Funnier, still, are the HDMI adapters that work with the computer, but won't handshake with certain display brands).

One reasonably sure way to guarantee compatibility is to get Lenovo-branded stuff from Lenovo, where you can check the compatibility list. 

Anyway, there are things we can try, but it'd help to have the additional information.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
Lappen
Paper Tape
Views: 487
Message 3 of 4

thank you for your help.

the usb c hub is this one https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B079FGMLYB/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

and the devics i tested it with were the asus zenbook pro 550 vd and my phone xiaomi mi5. worked on both of them fine.

the problem is that i´ve seen this behaviour on the forum a lot of times with this laptop model and i fear that even if i buy a lenovo branded model that it just wont work. but will try anyway. i need those ports Smiley Very Happy

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 476
Message 4 of 4

@Lappen wrote:

the problem is that i´ve seen this behaviour on the forum a lot of times with this laptop model and i fear that even if i buy a lenovo branded model that it just wont work. but will try anyway. i need those ports Smiley Very Happy

That's probably the easiest route. The alternative is uninstalling and reinstalling chipset drivers and USB drivers. I'd also have you scroll back through your Event Viewer logs to find where you inserted or removed media that wasn't recognized just to see if there's an associated error. And that could be in vain.  As I mentioned.. you see this on boards from every computer maker. The first flavor of USB was like this for a while, too. 

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors