Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jmotis2
Blue Screen Again
Views: 528
Message 1 of 9

Lenovo Yoga 720 - 15IKB: PLUGGED IN NOT CHARGING,

I bought a Lenovo Yoga 720 - 15IKB two weeks ago. The laptop works fine except for one important detail: it has never recognized the AC adapter as being plugged in. Basically when the PC is on, even if plugged in, it will drain down to 5% and turn itself off. But when it is off and plugged in, it charges up to 100% battery without a problem.

How can I get my laptop to charge while plugged in? As it charges without issue when turned off, I want to think it is more of an issue with drivers or BIOS than the AC adapter and power connection.

All Windows updates and Lenovo System Updates have been installed, except for one: BIOS Update - 10 [64]

When I install and then run this update, I get this blue screen of death Windows Error DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Battery drivers in the Device Manager several times. I restored battery settings to default, tweaked them, and set them back to default with no avail.

Can anyone help or make any suggestions??? Thank you very much!

windows error.jpg

Guru
Views: 522
Message 2 of 9

Re: Lenovo Yoga 720 - 15IKB: PLUGGED IN NOT CHARGING,

Is airplane mode turned on?

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an”Accepted Solution“!
If a post helps you, please click the star to give it a "Kudo"!

I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. I will not respond to unsolicited private messages. Questions belong in the forum so it may help other forum members as well.
TP 25 Retro, X1 Yoga 3rd Gen, W510 850 EVO, A30p
Retired 385D, A20p, A21p

jmotis2
Blue Screen Again
Views: 479
Message 3 of 9

Re: Lenovo Yoga 720 - 15IKB: PLUGGED IN NOT CHARGING

No, Airplane Mode is turned off in the bottom right corner of the toolbar and the Network & Internet Settings. I am connected to Wifi without any problems.

In the Power Plan settings, I don't even see an Airplane mode option. I'm on a Balanced power plan and have toggled to a custom plan without success in getting the charger recognized. Any ideas of other places to check for Airplane Power mode or other solutions?

Extra info: when I browse my settings or drivers, Windows is often crashing with the same DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE message.

Guru
Views: 453
Message 4 of 9

What about in Lenovo Vantage?  Is Airplane Power Mode on there?

airplane.PNG

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an”Accepted Solution“!
If a post helps you, please click the star to give it a "Kudo"!

I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. I will not respond to unsolicited private messages. Questions belong in the forum so it may help other forum members as well.
TP 25 Retro, X1 Yoga 3rd Gen, W510 850 EVO, A30p
Retired 385D, A20p, A21p

jmotis2
Blue Screen Again
Views: 434
Message 5 of 9

No, I checked Lenovo Vantage Hardware Settings - Power. I don't have an Airplane mode but rather this Conservation Mode in the screenshot below. Turning it On and Off isn't changing anything for me. I haven't even be able to get the "Plugged In, Not Charging" status, just "Power Mode (on battery)"

Lenovo conservation mode.jpg

hegerber
Serial Port
Views: 378
Message 6 of 9

You can try using the Novo button, as seen here: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht104038

If that doesn't work, you can try to find out which driver or app is causing the failure by doing the following:

1. Go to C:\Windows\Minidump
  2. Copy the most recent file(s) to the Desktop. These files contain more detailed information as to what is going wrong
  3. Install WinDbg Preview from the Windows App Store. It's an official app from Microsoft, used to open the minidump files.
  4. Run WinDbg Preview in administrative mode (right click the app and choose "run as adminstrator").
  5. Then, press the blue "File" tab. Under "Start debugging", choose, "Open dump file".
  6. After you've opened the dump file, click on the  "! analyze -v" link in the window. You may need to click on another link in the window to load the symbols (translates the machine code to English).

jmotis2
Blue Screen Again
Views: 330
Message 7 of 9

Hi Hegerber and thanks for the help. I tried your two solutions.

1. Novo button - this lets me get into the BIOS, which I was able to see before through Windows. But I see no "Airplane Power Mode" setting or any red flags -- I clicked restore to default settings, exit with save changes. The AC charger is still not recognized when the computer is on. Default BIOS settings & Information below in the pictures. My BIOS is v2.03 and Lenovo Vantage shows a BIOS v2.05 update is available, but at the end of installation upon getting to an InsydeH20 screen it tells me I cannot complete installation without being connected to a power source. A catch-22 :-)

20180905_214816.jpg20180905_214732.jpg

jmotis2
Blue Screen Again
Views: 326
Message 8 of 9

2. WinDbg - I get the below after running "! analyze -v" on a recent failure. Does any of it make sense to you? Looks like a lot of the symbols are wrong and need updating to get full debugging details.

DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE (9f)
A driver has failed to complete a power IRP within a specific time.
Arguments:
Arg1: 0000000000000003, A device object has been blocking an Irp for too long a time
Arg2: ffffc307f17a9060, Physical Device Object of the stack
Arg3: ffff8a8a5187f7d0, nt!TRIAGE_9F_POWER on Win7 and higher, otherwise the Functional Device Object of the stack
Arg4: ffffc308052e0740, The blocked IRP

Debugging Details:
------------------

***** Kernel symbols are WRONG. Please fix symbols to do analysis.

3. I was on a tech support chat about this issue and the technician could not resolve the issue either. He believed it was a hardware issue. I've tried a different AC adapter and different outlets and everything, still nothing, so it may be the computer itself. I will have to call my local Lenovo support line to try to get the machine serviced.

hegerber
Serial Port
Views: 279
Message 9 of 9

The device is not responding to instructions to change power state (i.e. entering low power mode). You can try using the driver verifier to get the problematic device's name: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/driver-verifier-tracking-down-a-...

I think sending it in for repair is probably for the best. Wish you better luck!

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors