Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hegerber
SCSI Port
Views: 4,211
Message 1 of 4

Lenovo Yoga 720 Buzzing Fan

I have had this laptop for a little less than an year, and the fan keeps making buzzing/humming noises whenever it's on. 

Does a buzzing sound means the fan is broken for good? Is it hitting something? Is it loose? Are the ball bearings broken? How can I find out what fan problem I have without voiding my warranty?

Or is this buzzing noise just typical of Yoga 720 models and I'd likely suffer the same issues if I went through with a repair?

I'm okay with laptop fans being on; like if it was just blowing noises that's not a deal breaker. I just think that even if the laptop fan was always on, it shouldn't be making buzzing noises.

hegerber
SCSI Port
Views: 4,165
Message 2 of 4

Re: Lenovo Yoga 720 Buzzing Fan

Problem solved! There was a single strand of hair in one of my fans. Because it was stuck, the fan kept hitting it which made a very annoying buzzing noise. Once the hair was removed, and we used compressed air to blow at the vent with the bottom cover open, no buzzing noises anymore, even with intensive apps.

I think lenovo needs to work on preventing things like hair from entering the fan. The bottom air vents have a filter/linter, but hairs can still poke through to the fans.

Pretty happy, it would be so sad if I had to use warranty for just a strand of hair.

Ruchie
What's DOS?
Views: 2,522
Message 3 of 4

Can one fix this problem at home?

I'm not sure if I have warranty. 

My laptop is emitting a loud irritating sound  It's not just the fan(which has been noisy earlier) but now something to do with the fan I guess. Its a loud sharp noise.

hegerber
SCSI Port
Views: 699
Message 4 of 4

I was able to do this at home, I just got a precision toolkit similar to this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Syntus-Precision-Screwdriver-Electronics-Cellphone/dp/B071PB4RPV/ref=sr_1_4?c...

If you want a precision toolkit that is guaranteed to be good, get one from iFixIt, you should be able to buy one in person at BestBuy.

You just need to use the t5 screwdriver head. The toolkit will come in handy for watches, smartphones, etc. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors