Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
actuallyjordan
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,786
Message 1 of 10

Lenovo Yoga 720 battery life dropped dramatically

Last week my laptop was able to get through a 6 and a half hour school day and still have a little charge left over--I could still work on it for another half hour or so when I got home. Yesterday, it died at the end of my first two classes, and that's only about three and a half hours. For my last and longest class, I had to borrow paper for notes. I hadn't even opened my laptop before I got to school. Looking at a full charge now, it says it's only good for 3 hours and 20 minutes.

I have no idea what's changed from last week to this one. I haven't installed any updates, and I don't use any programs that eat up a lot of CPU, especially during class. If there's anything different, the fan has been louder than usual. Can anybody shed some light on what might've happened?

Edit: some useful information I forgot to add is that this laptop is less than a year old. The battery is much too young to be degrading this quickly.

Nenu
What's DOS?
Views: 3,268
Message 2 of 10

Re: Lenovo Yoga 720 battery life dropped dramatically

I am also faing same issue, I will always keep in battery saving mode but i am geeting only 3 to 4 hours battery life 

cristi_bv
Paper Tape
Views: 2,750
Message 3 of 10

Hi, did you solve it somehow? Mine is displaying 2 hrs left and it's draining really fast.

Nenu
What's DOS?
Views: 2,743
Message 4 of 10

no sloution 

Yoga720Ke
What's DOS?
Views: 2,230
Message 5 of 10

Same issue

cem_kil
Punch Card
Views: 1,673
Message 6 of 10

same problem

Highlighted
Shibinbright
Paper Tape
Views: 1,180
Message 7 of 10

Same Problem..

Guru
Views: 1,170
Message 8 of 10

5 hours is probably more realistic than 6 or 7, but there are some things to look into.

• First, figure out if something else is running your battery down. Bluetooth and WiFi on when you don't need 'em? Turn 'em off.
  • Use Task Manager to see if something such as a virus scanner has decided it needs to run at boot and on battery. Other background programs could be taxing the CPU enough to keep the fan running. 
  • Ditto cloud services. OneDrive, for example, likes to synchronize at boot and if I've stored large files from another computer, it wastes time and battery copying things over.
  • Close your browser or limit yourself to sites that don't load videos, ads and other nonsense. Some of those ads have bad code that eats processor for no good reason at all. You might have your browser minimized and never notice the static ad that was there when you opened the tab is now an interactive video that's sucking resources. 
  • FInd out if a Windows Update wrecked any of your power settings. I had to do a registry hack to get CPU power settings back on my 920.
  • If you have to have WiFi on, examine it to see if it's doing what you expect. If it's wasting power constantly trying to find a better signal, turn the roaming aggressiveness down. (Though I'm personally not sure if that saves battery.. radio on is radio on IMHO)
  • Tell Windows Update you're on a metered connection. That'll stop downloads and installation routines until you're plugged in.
  • Avoid external storage. I keep most of my data on external storage or the cloud, but I will copy over to the SSD just the files I need to work with on any given day/trip.

More as I think of them. But these are the things that work for me. I have an 18-month old 910 I can still stretch to 6-7 hours when need be.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
prash43
Blue Screen Again
Views: 774
Message 9 of 10

Even I am having same issue with my new 720 Smiley Sad

Dont see any solution yet in lenova forum. 

prash43
Blue Screen Again
Views: 770
Message 10 of 10

Resolved the issue by updating the display adapter software in Device Manager.

More detailed is here.

1.Open Device manager

2.Look up for Display Adapters ->Right click and update Driver Software!

Before these steps my battery life was 2 hr only when 100% charged. After the above update/steps, now it shows up 5-6hrs when 100%.

Regards

Prashant 

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors