Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
roweder
Paper Tape
Views: 507
Message 1 of 5

Lenovo Yoga 720 has M.2:CNVio slot but not compatible with CNVi WiFi cards

Today I tried installing an Intel 9560ngw Wireless-AC/Bluetooth 5.0 CNVi card in a friend's Lenovo Yoga 720 which was having WiFi range issues.  We discovered upon opening the laptop that the black antenna wire was not connected to his Yoga 720's Intel 8265ngw WiFi card, and this was causing the range issue, not a defective card.  However, we had the Intel 9560ngw CNVi card, and those cards aren't that expensive, so we decided to replace the 8265ngw with the 9560ngw anyway, since the laptop has a M.2:CNVio card slot.  

After installing the 9560ngw card in the Yoga 720 we found that it would not show up in device manager, and no installation or edition of Intel drivers would get the card to work or be recognized.  We had to reinstall his 8265ngw card with bluetooth 4.2 (poo Smiley Sad).

It appears the Yoga 720 has the CNVi slot but no CNVi compatibility.  Could be why it ships with a M.2 8265ngw wifi card.

Has anyone had success installing a CNVi WiFi card in a Lenovo Yoga 720?  Perhaps my friend had too old a Bios version?

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 472
Message 2 of 5

Re: Lenovo Yoga 720 has M.2:CNVio slot but not compatible with CNVi WiFi cards

Hi roweder! Welcome to Community Forums.

Could you share us the exact model of your Yoga 720? So we could check the compatible M.2 wifi cards, other cards may not work due to white listing. Is it 720-12IKB, 13IKB, or 15IKB?

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

the_man3
What's DOS?
Views: 415
Message 3 of 5

Hi,

I've the same trouble.

I've a Yoga 720-13ikb, I've change the wifi card (8265) with a 9560 and Windows don't see the card.

Can you help me, please

Yoga 720-13ikb (i5-8250u, 8Go, 256Go SSD, full HD)
Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 409
Message 4 of 5

You may refer to this hardware manual https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/yoga720-13ikb_yoga720-15ikb_hmm_201702.pdf for the list of compatible M.2 wifi cards, turn to page 84. As mentioned, other wifi card may not be recognized by the system due to white listing.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

roweder
Paper Tape
Views: 400
Message 5 of 5

the_man3,
Have you tried updating your bios?
I checked out the list Bobby_Lenovo sent, and the only compatible cards it lists are the Intel 8265 and the Qualcomm NFA344A. However, I suspect the Intel 9260ngw might work. It uses the same PCIe connectivity as the 8265, and it works in my X1 Carbon.

Bobby_Lenovo,
My apologies I forgot to repy earlier. The laptop in question in my original post is the 13ikb.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors