09-17-2020

VE

4 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 1 of 3

Lenovo Yoga 730-13IKB stopped sending HDMI signal

2020-09-17, 0:09 AM

2 weeks ago my Yoga stopped sending hdmi signal to my external monitor, i've been using it with an external monitor for nearly a year now and all of a sudden it stopped working. I tried running lenovo vantage update check and hardware diagnostics without an issue coming up and all the drivers had the latest versions installed. I tried restoring the PC to a recovery point and also restoring factory settings with no avail. I also tried third party driver verification software and nothing came up.

I tried the monitor, USB c hub, and HDMI cable with another pc and they worked instantly, discarding that the issue is in one of those components.

I'm only to believe that something's wrong with the usb c, that's a shame since i also had a SSD failure less than a year later from when i bought the laptop and now i'm facing this inexplicable failure 2 years after the purchase.

If someone can help it would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Options

865 Posts

03-11-2020

NO

106 Signins

4986 Page Views

• Views: 4986
  • Message 2 of 3

Re:Lenovo Yoga 730-13IKB stopped sending HDMI signal

2020-09-17, 9:21 AM

Hi ramarso.

Welcome to the Community Forums.

This could be a number of things from BIOS settings changing, to Windows updates messing with the system board drivers, or worst case scenario that the hdmi connection to the motherboard or vica versa is a hardware fault. 

A System recovery point has a minimal chance of effect if the problem had been a Windows Update that messed with drivers. 

When you say you did a restoring of factory settings? Was this through the recovery section in Windows or was it through the Novo Button ? (See below). A complete reinstall ? If not, then I'd suggest performing that recovery method instead, as it has more success. I'll add it down below just in case.

Firstly we can enter the BIOS and check that the boot mode is correctly set to UEFI and not Legacy.

Step 1. Checking BIOS settings.

- Press the power button to completely shut down the unit.

- Press the Novo Button - The button can be reached/clicked by an unfolded paperclip or similar.

- Choose the BIOS setup and navigate to the BOOT tab

- Check that "Boot Mode" is set to "UEFI" and not "Legacy"

- Save & Exit changes

Step 2. Update system board drivers.

Make sure you have the newest BIOS, Chipset, Serial I.O and Management Engine Interface drivers for your device:  

You can find and install the newest drivers from the Lenovo Support Page

Just plot in the serial number of the device and hit enter, might have to press it twice, then head to Drivers & Software then the BIOS and Chipset section

**Note: Make sure the AC adapter is connected and that you have at least 30% battery charge when performing this update.

Step 3. OKR - One Key Recovery

**This is a complete factory reset of the computer

**Loss of data can occur, so we advise you to backup your data if possible.

- Completely shut down the device.  

- Press the Novo Button 

- In case you do not own a device with a OKR button. You can also find out where it is or what reset function it is for your device at the support page under.

Knowledge Base & Guides -> User Guides -> And clicking the User guide(Not HTML one) in the list -> Ctrl+F to search the document for "Reset" and/or "Novo Button" / "Novo Hole"

- When the system boots up, a menu will appear, select System recovery and follow the recovery process.

- When entering the Windows environment again. Perform the step 4 below before allowing any Windows updates.

Step 4. Disable Automatic Hardware drivers update.

- Right click the Windows Icon, select the "Search" Function.

- Type "Control Panel" and select "Small icons" or "Large Icons" in the "View By" top right.

- Click the "System Icon"

- Navigate to "Advanced System Settings" -> "Hardware"

- Click "Device Installation Settings" and Select "No"

**This will prevent Windows from interfering with your hardware drivers in future updates, but keep crucial security updates rolling.

If none of the above steps seems to solve the issue, then we are most likely looking at a hardware fault with the HDMI and or Motherboard. Which needs it will be in need of repair.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Options

2 Posts

09-17-2020

VE

4 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 3 of 3

Re:Lenovo Yoga 730-13IKB stopped sending HDMI signal

2020-09-17, 18:50 PM
Thank your your reply. I already tried all of that and i still don't get video signal to the monitor. Checking System Information i can see that my bios version is the latest but the dates don't line up. In lenovo support page the bios released on July 29 and the info on my pc System information is May 22. I don't if that affects something since the bios version number is correct.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete