Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pavlo_fesenko
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,190
Message 1 of 15

Lenovo Yoga 730 15 - Overheating to 100C/Throttling issue while gaming

My Lenovo 730 15 has the overheating/throttling issue while gaming (see the attached screenshot). It is clearly related to the high CPU temperature up to 100C (pink) during the GPU load (dark green) while the temperature in the room is 25C. Since both CPU and GPU use the same heat pipes, the increase in GPU temperatue (blue) leads to the increase in CPU temperature (pink). The power plan has stock settings (turbo boost on and no undervolting) but looking at the CPU frequency (salad green) it's almost not turbo boosting. The base frequency of i7-8550u is 1.8 Ghz and it stays below it during gaming.

My question is why putting GTX 1050 in the chassis that cannot handle its thermal load? I have to admit that the fans aren't too loud (Intellegent Cooling in Lenovo Vantage is on) so it could be one of the reasons. I'm going to replace it with another unit and see if the problem persists. Could anyone reply if you have similar issues?

Yoga 730 15 high temp.PNG

Federico18
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,148
Message 2 of 15

Re: Lenovo Yoga 730 15 - Overheating to 100C/Throttling issue while gaming

Hi! When it comes to heat, a very good idea is to lift the laptop a bit, to keep the air vents with good air flow.

Sorry to bother you but I have the same laptop and I'm having a power throttle issue when gaming, when the GPU is on load , the CPU power throttles and runs at 0,8 GHz, didn't you have that problem ? 

pavlo_fesenko
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,081
Message 3 of 15

No, my throttling is related to temperature , not to power. Are you sure that your temperatures are OK? Are you using any monitoring software like Open Hardware Monitor or MSI Afterburner?

Federico18
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,072
Message 4 of 15

Yes i'm monitoring everything with MSI Afterburner and my temperatures are ok, but mainly because my processor is not runing at its full potencial, because of the issue mentioned before (power throttling).

I disabled the "Intellegent Cooling" and now my pc is running at 1.8GHz like yours (wich is way better than before -0,8ghz-, but its far away from its full potencial) and temps are of course good (55-65 ℃).
Now i can at least game with a decent frame rate until a solution comes out.

My PC shows a slightly similar behaviour than yours, the CPU starts at around 3,6GHz, and within a few seconds it drops to 1,8 and ocassionally it goes up to 2GHz, but unlike yours my PC doesn't show high temperatures (as said before max 65℃) it's obvious that in my case is not thermal related throttling, everything points at a software issue from Lenovo.

There is a rumor that a bios update will come out to solve my issue in a few weeks because of all the complaints, hopefully it will solve yours too.

When the update comes out and my CPU and GPU are runing to their full potential, i'll let you know if i have the same issue or if i found the solution.

For now i can only tell you:

-Lift your laptop from the back, the heat will come out more easily and the air flow will be more fluid and cooler.

-Have you tried undervolting your CPU and GPU? Here is a guide on how to undervolt your CPU: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-XTU-Undervolting-Guide.272120.0.html, and as you probably know, you can undervolt your GPU with MSI Afterburner.

-Try disabling Intellegent Cooling, maybe it will help you as well.

I am hopefull that a BIOS update will help us soon.

jserinoc
Punch Card
Views: 6,060
Message 5 of 15

Hi, I was facing throttling issues as well...not sure if power or temp related, as I did not measure...I posted about it in a similar thread...will paste my post below as a reference in case it helps!

JC

I wanted to share my experience so far. I bought 2 weeks ago the 15" I7 730. A few days ago I got FIFA 2018 and started experiencing some of the issues. Not sure about the clock speed as I did not measure it, but the game was unplayable. Just horrible. After several attempts, I turned off syncing my google drive My Documents folder and changed the settings to medium and it played OK. However, after reading this thread today I decided to try other things.

I did many things. First, turned off the smart cooling feature on Lenovo Vantage. Then, on advance power settings I put on performance every option possible. I then proceeded to update the Geforce Experience app and installed the latest driver and moved some options. I also opened the NVIDIA control panel and made sure the GTX was the preferred graphics processor and changed the settings to performance. 

After all that I was happy to see that I could play FIFA 2018 at high settings and FPS were around 50 on average...respectable, but more importantly, no throttling. I wanted to take the test one step further and installed Fornite. Changed the settings to HIGH and the resolution to 1920 x 1080 and played with no throttling keeping the FPS at a constant 50-60 (I limited it to 60). BTW, I tried the same at 4K resolution but the FPS dropped to 20-30. 

Overall not bad and close to the experience I was expecting out of this laptop...Will keep you updated if something changes.

Best,

JC

pavlo_fesenko
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,054
Message 6 of 15

Federico, what is the load of your GPU? My temperatures are also fine (both GPU and CPU below 70C) when the GPU load is below 50%. Once the GPU load gets higher, the temperatures quickly raise. Funny thing, the GPU load goes higher than 50% only after ~45 minutes of gaming. Really weird... May I ask you if it's not too much trouble to run Open Hardware Monitor and plot the frequency, temperature and load for both CPU and GPU while you game? You can download it here https://openhardwaremonitor.org/ It doesn't require installation, just unzip and run it.

Touvan
Paper Tape
Views: 6,048
Message 7 of 15

Hey @jserinoc - I just wanted to say thanks! Your suggestion to disable "Intelligent Cooling" - completely fixed the power throttling issue for me! I was just getting ready to return this laptop - I love everything aobut this laptop, except the default Celeron level down throttling, but now that's fixed!

jserinoc
Punch Card
Views: 6,046
Message 8 of 15

@Touvan Glad it helped! Because I changed so many things at the same time I didn't really know what made the trick for me Smiley Happy

Like you, I love this laptop overall...and didn't want to return it. Maybe when they update the BIOS it would get even better!

Best,

JC
Touvan
Paper Tape
Views: 6,035
Message 9 of 15

Honestly, they should just get rid of that "intelligent cooling" feature - I've seen other forum posts where folks have explained that they returned their laptops over this. That can't be good for business. They should remove the "intelligent cooling" setting, and default to the performance profile, only making the "cool & quiet" mode available if desired (and showing it enabled with a taskbar icon so folks don't forget it's enabled).

The feature is not "intelligent" - it just uses high performance for 2 minutes, or makes the "Power Limit Throttling" feature more sticky by switching to "cool & quiet" under load - not intelligent. Lenovo  has likely suffered returned units over it.

Federico18
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,952
Message 10 of 15

pavlo_fesenko, sorry for the delay, I tried with  Open Hardware Monitor, but the output was difficult to read, I thougth there was no point in uploading the image.

But i can tell you:
I am running Intel XTU, -100mV core voltage offset, and matched the power max with short power max (44W)
I setted the intelligent cooling off 
Setted the battery mode on max performance
I monitored the performance with MSI Afterburner

What I'am getting:
I played Fallout 4 for about 1,5hr, FHD and medium details, FPS between 45 and 60 (mostly 60).
Temps: GPU max 63, CPU max 58
Load: GPU almost 99% all the time (aprox 1700MHz), CPU around 30% (i dont know if that value is right but that was the value that MSI AB was giving me) (between 1,8GHz and 2,2GHz).
During all the time, performance was constant.

Maybe you messed up with some configurations? 
You can try reinstalling Windows.

If you have more questions you can ask, sorry i didn't show you the Open Hardware Monitor plot.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors