Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ElvinKo
Paper Tape
Views: 241
Message 1 of 3

Lenovo Yoga 730 (15") Thunderbolt Capabilities: External Graphics Card

I have a Lenovo Yoga 730 (15"), and I am an engineering student. I want to use Inventor and CAD on my laptop, but I often feel like the integrated graphics can't keep up, so I want to buy an external graphics dock and use it with my laptop. In the description of the laptop specs, it says that it has a USB-C port with thunderbolt capabilities, but I don't think it is a thunderbolt itself. Can I use external graphics with this laptop through thunderbolt?

madseasonlive
Fanfold Paper
Views: 226
Message 2 of 3

Re: Lenovo Yoga 730 (15") Thunderbolt Capabilities: External Graphics Card

I have Yoga 730 13' and it has 2 ThunderBolt outputs. 

Checked on the lonovo website and you have:

Connections / slots
  • 2 x USB 3.0
  • Thunderbolt Type-C
  • HDMI in standard size
  • DC input
  • Audio connection

So yes - you can plug in eGPU via ThunderBolt. But it is like ~300usd just for the case + the cost of GPU itself.

Check also Yoga dock as an alternative

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8P2Wa2y4W4

It is just GTX 1050, but it may be also some solution it its power will be sufficient for you.

ElvinKo
Paper Tape
Views: 217
Message 3 of 3

Re: Lenovo Yoga 730 (15") Thunderbolt Capabilities: External Graphics Card

Thanks! However, from what I've checked, the USB-C ports on the 13 and 15 inch laptops are different. For the 13 inch, you can charge with the thunderbolts, and has full thunderbolt capabilities. But from what I've read about the 15 inch, it only has some capabilities of Thunderbolt that are supported (e.g. you can't charge with them). That's why I wanted to make sure that the USB-C on the 15 inch supported external graphics. Thank you so much for the Lenovo dock suggestion, though, I think it'll be a great budget solution to my graphics problem. I'll definitely look into it further.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors