cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rene001
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,170
Message 1 of 5

Lenovo Yoga 730-15ikb: Charge with USB-PD?

Hello,

Does anybody tried to charge the Device by USB-PD? Technically it should be possible with a >90W Charger, but I read different Statements. Some say, it's only charging, if the device is off. But that's not the target, it should be possible to work & charge with it.

Others say, that only the 13" Yoga can be charged, the 15" (4k Display btw.) seems to need too much energy and doesn't push it to the battery Smiley Sad But 90W, as the original dedicated non-usb-Power-Charger, is 90W, so there seems to be negotiating-issues.

But as I said: Too many different statements. My Dream-Configuration would look something like this:

- 1 USB-C-Charger like Dell TDK33 (4,5A@20V)

- 1 USB-C-Hub (primarly for LAN & Display), e.g. Andobil 9-in-1.

It's too expensive to buy & try. Especially if there are Negotiating-Issues, you have to try different Chargers until you find a working one or to come to the conclusion, that its impossible.

TL;DR: Can I Charge the 730-15ikb (4k) over USB-C while working? Which Charger is known to work?

Thanks

Highlighted
Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 2,130
Message 2 of 5

Re: Lenovo Yoga 730-15ikb: Charge with USB-PD?

Hi Rene001,

Apologies for the confusion from your other post. Things got mixed up with replying to the threads. Anyways, we searched further and can see that the USB-PD is not tested in our products. Our products are tested for generic used and we cannot guarantee that it will work the way you wanted.

Regards!

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

sbcl
What's DOS?
Views: 1,938
Message 3 of 5

Dear Ashley,

I have been researching this notebook, and I am quite confused about its USB PD (charging the laptop over USB instead of a proprietary port). I have found three spec sheets and a manual (all from Lenovo's psref website), which contain contradictory information:

On one hand, the spec sheet which is not avaiable online any longer, was from February 2018, and listed a proprietary charging port and a proprietary charger, which is consistent with online reviews and videos. Furthermore the shared 730-13 and 730-15 manual, stated that: "For the Lenovo YOGA 730-13IKB/Lenovo YOGA 730-13IWL, the Type-C port may be used as an AC power adapter jack."

However, when I noticed that in official and third-party videos from MWC 2018, the 730-15IKB model was on display with a USB Type-C charger connected to it, I decided to consult Lenovo through chat. During that conversation I was made aware of a 2018 September Spec Sheet, and a 2018 August Spec Sheet, both of which clearly state that the charger is a USB Type-C one. Of course, this contradicts all information available online, including what is stated in the manual.

Could you consult internally and clarify whether the USB-PD capability was changed without updating the model number, if all models can be charged by a USB Type-C charger, and if so, will Lenovo provide replacement chargers to those to received the proprietary charger.

Regards,

SB

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 1,931
Message 4 of 5

Hi! Sorry for the confusion. Based from our database and as consulted from our Support Group, Yoga 730-15IKB doesn't have the USB-PD feature. It's only available for the Yoga 730-IKB and 730-IWL series. Please see the user manual https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/yoga730-13ikb_yoga730-15ikb_yoga730-13iwl_yoga730-1... your reference, turn to page 10. Hope this clarify your query.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

sbcl
What's DOS?
Views: 1,927
Message 5 of 5

Thank you for your response; however, as I mentioned in my message, except for the manual to which you refer, videos from Lenovo's booth at MWC point to the fact that USB PD is supported. This is further confirmed in the two Lenovo spec sheets, links to which I included in my original message.

Would you mind asking the support group whom you consulted to explain that.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors