Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
arankun
Paper Tape
Views: 264
Message 1 of 5

Lenovo Yoga 900 USB stopped working and no more battery charge

The laptop USB ports stopped working. So I cannot charge via the USB charging port. First things first, I backed up all the files I need and hoping that I will still have enough charge to troubleshoot. But I don't have the luxury anymore. I cannot power up the laptop. Anyways to charge the battery externally? Or any other solution to charge the battery so I can at least power up the laptop and troubleshoot?

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 228
Message 2 of 5

Re: Lenovo Yoga 900 USB stopped working and no more battery charge

Since the battery is apparently dead, it's difficult to determine just what's amiss. Could be the charger, could be the power board, could be the battery, could be the USB-C port.  First and easiest thing to try is a new charger. Get an OEM, if you can, as third-party USB-C chargers are a crapshoot. A quick test is to run down to your nearest computer store (such as Best Buy, which carries Lenovo products) and ask to try one of their display chargers. If the computer charges up and/or starts, then you've solved it. 

If a new charger fails, you can try a new battery. After that, it'll either need to be sent in for servicing or, if you have the skill set, a board replacement. Maybe @Spidey can tell you if the power circuitry is on the motherboard or a daughtercard. I'd guess the former. But let's narrow it down before we get to that step.

Good luck and keep us posted. 

Doc

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
arankun
Paper Tape
Views: 209
Message 3 of 5

I am pretty positive it is the USB port issues. That was how it started. I connected the external monitor it did not work. I charged the laptop and it cannot charge. Lastly, I inserted a USB storage drive and it cannot detect. So I was in rush to backup data that I need then it eventually lost battery charge.

arankun
Paper Tape
Views: 206
Message 4 of 5

I think if this was a regular power input (not USB), I can still power the laptop although it might not be charging the battery. For this lenovo yoga, is there a way to power it up without the battery so I can still fix the USB issue? My issue seems to match others when their USB stopped working.
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 184
Message 5 of 5

You're right. At this point, I'd suspect the ports or the card they reside on has an issue. I'm with you on the power delivery. While having a box full of different adapters is a little maddening, combining power with delicate data circuitry seems a bit risky. Personally, I'd like to see them all go to inductive charging like a lot of phones have and do away with AC adapters altogether. 

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors