Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kaus1108
Blue Screen Again
Views: 671
Message 1 of 4

Lenovo Yoga 900 file transfer problem

I recently bought a Yoga 900 Laptop running Windows 10 Home and I am facing a peculiar problem.

I normally back up my files in external usb drives. I have some portable external drives (2.5 inch) and some desktop external drives (3.5 inch). All are USB 3.0 compliant. The desktop external drives are separately powered while the portable one are only connected via a USB 3.0 cable.

When I transfer video files to the portable external drives from my Yoga 900 I get an average transfer speed of 125 MB/s. There is no interruption during this transfer.

When I transfer the same video file to the desktop external drives the transfer is very very slow and for extensive periods of time it shows transfer speed of 0MB/s. The total time taken is triple that of the portable drives.

After noticing this, I have reinstalled windows, updated all hardware drivers from the Lenovo website. Cleaned the registry and even done selective start up by removing some 3rd party start up programs, I have also switched off write caching and switched it back on again but the problem still remains.

I also find that when I connect 2 external USB drives (one portable and one desktop) and I try to transfer the same video files from the porrtable to the desktop there is no problem there also. It is only transferring files from the internal Laptop drive that has this issue.

I have 2 other laptops (one running Windows 10 Pro and one running Windows 10 Home) and when I transfer the same files from those 2 laptops to the external desktop drives I get transfer speeds of up to 170MB/s. So the issue is only with my internal drive inside the Yoga 900. The internal drive is a Liteon CV1-8B512 solid state drive of 512 GB capacity.

Can anyone help me solve this problem.

SeniorGuru
Views: 644
Message 2 of 4

Re: Lenovo Yoga 900 file transfer problem

This may be a bug in windows rather than a hardware issue.  There are many similar threads on other sites, desktops, notebooks and tablets that use Windows 10 that are having this problem.

Try running a free "Live DVD" of Linux to check your files for errors, run CCleaner, Defrag and see if it improves.

Good luck.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
kaus1108
Blue Screen Again
Views: 621
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. I appreciate it. Well I did run a registry and other cleaner and then checked the hard drive for errors. Before reinstalling I even formatted my drive with a full format and no errors were reported.

Besides if this was really a bug in Windows 10 then my 2 other Laptops which run on windows 10 should also have the same problem, but they both transfer the same files to the same external drives very fast (~125-175 MB/s). Could there be some other issues. My 2 other Laptops are older configuration bought in 2013. This Yoga 900 is brand new.

SeniorGuru
Views: 614
Message 4 of 4

I know - it seems to be somewhat random. I have a few desktops that have Windows 10 that has the same problem. My file server is using Linux and it transfers to Linux and Windows 8 desktops and one Windows 10 that has no problems.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors