Punch Card
Views: 9,889
Message 1 of 11

Lenovo Yoga 900 freezes and black screen

YOGA 900-13ISK2 SE
PN: 80UE
BIOS: 2UCN6WW
16 GB RAM / I7-6560 / WIN 10 x64 Home

I got my new Yoga 900 few weeks ago and ever since it's been randomly freezing. The laptop is with this problem from day one and without any additional software installed. There's no error message or anything, it just freeze or flickering and than freezes completely without a BSOD and the only way to use it again is to shut it off and turn it back on. The freeze looks strange: black screen, any sounds playing would either stop or repeat indefinitely and the fan noise high. The LED backlight is on, but completely black display. I had to shut down my computer by pressing the power key and then restarting again. There is no clear error massage in Event log: “Audit events have been dropped by the transport. 0” and “Unexpected shutdown”. For some reason, it's much more frequent on battery power and almost non-existant on AC power and High Performance Power Options. But whit this solution the battery life is highly impacted and the fan noise is high, which makes no sense for this notebook class!!!!

Action taken:

• Windows 10 Home – Updated;
  • BIOS – 2UCN06WW - newer than this on Lenovo Support website 2UCN05WW. Not possible to update;
  • Drivers Updated from Lenovo Support website. - went better.
  • Lenovo Solution Center / Lenovo Companion – Comprehensive test– Test OK;
  • Windows Clean boot
  • After recomendations from Lenovo Support, Factory reset performed with default windows drivers– after that went worst. With Lenovo drivers the laptop was a little bit more stable.

Result:

After all of that, I still am getting more random freezing. Sometimes I'm able to use the laptop for hours at a time, and others it will freeze within a couple minutes. I experience single-frame flickering and then black screen during web browsing but not only, especially if video or animated effects were on the page.

Additionaly,  I've been trying to install Lenovo ACPI driver ver. 1.5.0.14-20150824. I run the executable and nothing happens. The installed drivers is Lenovo 13.52.34.549 5/15/2015 and cannot be updated.  Even after uninstallation of the 13.52.34.549 and start of the executable 1.5.0.14 the version of the driver stays the same.

I'm really disappointed in having these problems with a brand new $1400 laptop. Horrible experience with a Lenovo this is an expensive laptop I never expected. Impossible to work, I am travelling with two laptops one for work and one for losing my time in troubleshooting. I am travelling a lot and I don’t want to spend my whole free time in troubleshooting, I have already spent too much for a TOP BRAN NEW LAPTOP. A laptop for 400$ would work better!!!. 

It seems to be a common problem with Intel HD Graphics, there are a lot of topic in internet, community and very "nice" Ratings & Reviews regarding this issue at Lenovo web pageUnfortunately I cannot return it because at the moment I am not in USA and the return period will expire. 

• From where I should download the drivers? Lenovo, Intel or to let windows to decide from Device Manager; Should I uninstall the newer drivers and to put this from Lenovo website?
  • Is it a driver problem or hardware?
  • Do you have a solution?
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 9,824
Message 2 of 11

Re: Lenovo Yoga 900 freezes and black screen

It sounds frustrating.  I always hesitate to suggest BIOS updates on an unstable system, but it sounds like it isn't usable the way it is.  Your BIOS 2UCN06WW sounds like it should be newer than 2UCN05WW, but I can find nothing about 2UCN06WW being un-released do to problems,  though that is what it looks like.  I cannot tell you what to do, but if it were mine, I think I would try to get the use of an external DVD drive and try to update the BIOS outside windows.

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Desto
Paper Tape
Views: 9,793
Message 3 of 11

Hi,

I also have similar to this issue, an have exactly the same lapto, however i found it was related to the rotation and keyboard position sensors.

part 1

If you simply bump the laptop and it can trigger one of the sensors the screen will try to to auto correct. this causes my computer to somehow loose the display of whatever video ect you were watching. quit and reload is the only solution i found so far. Also it normally only happens with full screen, so run in desktop mode instead of tablet can also help. I have disabled tablet mode for this reason.

Part 2

related to part one, but i get the blank screen when i startup and shutdown and the laptop wasnt returned to its normal desk/table posture before shutting down,for example it was in "tablet posture or A frame" and i hit the power button. if i dont start it up in the same posture again the laptop will loose its display, sometimes I can change it back to the previous posture and it amazingly comes back, other times it needs a full hard reset, or shutdown and power on and it will come back to life.

This issue will also be triggered if the screen turns off and back on because the laptop went to sleep or simply turned off the display because i didnt touch it for some time.

As said ive also found this is also related to the multiple sensors, they need some fine tuning.

Hope this helps you until its fixed properly.

Im suspecting the grapics driver is not refreshing correctly

Petko
Punch Card
Views: 9,766
Message 4 of 11

Hi, unfortunately my problem is not connected to the rotation and keyboard position sensors. I am using my laptop in normal desk/ desktop mode. The problem connected with the Intel Video. It feels like the Intel graphics is struggling to display the data and just crashes.

Since I disabled DPTF in BIOS, it is more stable but ... i still have some trouble with "heavy" graphics like GMaps it just crash in 10 20 sec in zoom in/out. 

If I put "on battery" power options to be the same as like  "plugged in" it is again more stable but.... not enough. 

Regarding the BOIS I will try to downgrade it. I will again try with the Lenovo support for some support.

I really want to return this crab.

Desto
Paper Tape
Views: 9,758
Message 5 of 11

i thought i was dealing with 2 seperate issues with my pc. screen off and struggling to display or load graphics in a timely manor especially when on battery. maybe they are not so seperate.

Can you please try this for me, so i can help to problem solve mine too. next time the screen goes blank fold the screen into tablet (back on its self with keyboard and screen facing out). rotate it 360 deg, ie-keyboard down, keyboard facing you, keyboard up, keyboard away from you, keyboard down again.

I have found if i do this, at some point during the rotation the screen will always come back on, it doesnt just turn on but more like a complete reset.

the other issue of graphics loading slowly, well i turned off some of the intel HD graphics settings in the Intel control pannel just yesterday like display gamma enhancement stuff. the Lenovo now runs much smoother now but still not 100% i wish i could uninstall this and let windows run everything native but cant find how yet.

Petko
Punch Card
Views: 9,709
Message 6 of 11

Desto, I have tried the rotation... without any result, still black screen.

I tried a lot of things, but it is obviously a problem with the Windows10/Intel/Lenovo drivers or compatibility. Even in High performance there is a flickering. I have changed a lot of display options, power settings and Intel video settings without big result. There are soo many Windows / Intel / Lenovo power options regarding brightness, CPU speed, Graphic power plans, Video quality, and so on,  it is a big mess. Are they compatible???   

The black screen is unexpected and it is possible even during simple video tasks like scroll of pdf, zoom in/out, full screen on/off/, window change or simple tasks, and so on....

I have the following problems when i have tried to update some of my drivers, may be they are related:
1) BIOS - 2UCN06WW - newer than this on Lenovo Support website 2UCN05WW.

BIOS.jpg
2) Energy Management Driver - the system was with newer version. I have downgraded it to this from Lenovoweb ver.8.1.10604.207.
3) Intel Graphics Driver ver. 20.19.15.4454. Not possible to be manually reinstalled. Even in Safe mode after uninstallation, it is not possible, Windows automatically installs it, after the restart. During the installation of the driver downloaded from Lenovoweb, gives  error: "The driver being installed is not validated for this computer. Please obtain the appropriate driver from the computer manufacture"

IGD.jpg
4) Intel Management Engine Interface Driver - not possible to update the driver. The installed one is ver. 11.5.0.1011 / date 4/8/2016, the Lenovoweb is ver.11.0.0.1172 dated ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2016. Even in Safe mode after uninstallation, it is not possible. The error is: " The setup program ended permanently because of the following error: This platform I not supported" or „The windows installer service could not be accessed. This can occur if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance."

IMEC.jpgIMEC2.jpg
5) Advanced Configuration and Power Management Interface (ACPI) Driver - The installed drivers is Lenovo ver. 13.52.34.549 dated 5/15/2015 and cannot be updated. I've tried to install Lenovo ACPI driver ver. 1.5.0.14-20150824. Even in Safe Mode after uninstallation of ver13.52.34.549 and start executable file ver. 1.5.0.14 downloaded from Lenovoweb the version of the system driver stays the same. It is very strange that during the installation setup is for version 1.0.0.0 not for 1.5.0.14 (there is a topic about this problem in the forum from other users).

ACPI 1.jpg
The problems are well known to other Lenovo products and since yesterday there is an update of Intel Management Engine Firmware, v.11.0.0.1176, but this update is not for Yoga 900.
Here you can find some links to related topics Yoga 900/ 500/ Flex 3 / 2 pro / 3 pro/ 13......:
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Yoga-Series-Notebooks/New-Yoga-900-Constantly-Freezing/td-p/2229...

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Yoga-Series-Notebooks/Lenovo-Yoga-500-the-display-goes-black-whi...

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-IdeaPad-100-305-500-Edge/Flex-3-screen-turns-off-when-working-on...

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-IdeaPad-100-305-500-Edge/Edge-2-Driver-issues-random-black-scree...

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Yoga-Series-Notebooks/Yoga-500-14ISK/td-p/2268839

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Yoga-Series-Notebooks/YOGA-500-14ISK-Screen-randomly-blacks-out/...

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Yoga-Series-Notebooks/Lenovo-yoga-500-sudden-black-screen/td-p/3...

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Yoga-Series-Notebooks/Yoga-900-display-driver-glitch/m-p/2204154...

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Yoga-Series-Notebooks/Yoga-900-flickering-and-screen-problems/m-...

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Yoga-Series-Notebooks/Black-screen-on-Yoga-900-13ISK/td-p/342010...

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Yoga-Series-Notebooks/Yoga-900-Display-driver-stopped-responding...

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Yoga-Series-Notebooks/Yoga-900-13ISK-shut-off-several-times-and-...

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Yoga-Series-Notebooks/Lenovo-YOGA-900-Display-driver-stop-workin...

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Yoga-Series-Notebooks/Yoga-900-flickering-and-screen-problems/m-...

I have spent almost 1 month in troubleshooting, incredible experience. THANK YOU LENOVO.

Petko
Punch Card
Views: 9,653
Message 7 of 11

Hi guys,
For the time being my system seems to be stable with ballanced power settings. All setting are standart except that i just put ASPM to OFF in power management. Active-State Power Management (ASPM) saves power in the Peripheral Component Interconnect Express (PCI Express) subsystem. If you have the same problem, can you please try this for me?

I look forward to receiving your feedback.

Advanced_Power_Options-2.jpg

Desto
Paper Tape
Views: 9,571
Message 8 of 11

Update - My issue is over, Problem solved for me but i dont think this will help everyone im seeing with the same issues.

The sad story.

I was flying on a plane so going through the airport scanner. I had to get the laptop out of the bag the slippery thing slipped out of my bag and hit the floor, the front glass, hinge and back cover was all damaged, although i could still use everything except the touch screen.

So i took the laptop to the lenovo service center and paid out of my own pocket to replace all the damaged parts. Thier servicce tech did an excellent job and replaced all the parts, it only took 1 day. I can not tell it was broken before. (i did notice after repair the tablet mode magnet of the left side doesnt operare the same as the right anymore, but im being very very fussy here)

The good part

I got the laptop back, it all works 100%. Had it back for 1 week now and can coonfirm the following.

-machine is no longer sluggish and slow as before (except when loading alot of graphics running on battery with power saving cpu and graphic restrictions for power saving where it has some to be expected delays)

-Never had a blank/black screen anymore or any situation when the screen did not come up straight away (this would happen atleast daily before). However only 1 time windows did freeze (screen still on but frozen at windows login)

-Screen tilt and rotation now work 100% without being overly sensitive to bumps.

the unusual

i have found the screen now to be adjusting the gamma/contrast of what is displayed on the screen. for example it corrects for a majority white web page, my background is black so if flick to it the screen adjusts again for deep dark black. I have to say this looks awesome on the display but when it adjusts it will do it in about 4 or 5 steps. This does annoy me, especially when watching youtube or movies and its not full screen (i like to multi task). I have yet to find where to disable this....

I did not notice the machine doing this before, but i only owned it for 2-3 weeks  before i dropped it.

Concusion

I have tried and tried to make the machine fault again since getting it back, played with settings, factory reset settings etc. Can not repeat the issues before the service center had my laptop. They didnt say anything about repairing anything else on the computer, and did not have an admin password for the computer, only a guest account. So they could not access anything anyhow. (unless there is a secret security bypass.)

I can only suspect they somehow fixed a harware issue wile they had my laptop for repair. I didnt even tell them about the issues i was having because i thought it was just software related. Maybe a loose connection somewhere or was an automatic software update released in the last week?

I have a new found love for this lenovo yoga.

dchatziantoniou
Paper Tape
Views: 9,131
Message 9 of 11

Hi Petco,

Exactly the same problem since yesterday.

Is everything OK with you since you turned the Link Power State - on battery - to Off ?

Thank you,

Damianos.

Petko
Punch Card
Views: 8,774
Message 10 of 11

Hi,

My problem was hardware. Lenovo changed my motherboard.

Now everything is OK.

Top Kudoed Authors