02-22-2018

US

2 Signins

19 Page Views

• Views: 19
  • Message 1 of 50

Lenovo Yoga 910 Charging Issue

2018-02-22, 20:23 PM

We own a Lenovo Yoga 910 and in the last couple days, it is no longer able to charge.  The battery is currently at 13%.  The following 4 situations happen when the power cable (lenovo 45w usb c that came with the laptop) is plugged into the laptop.

1) The laptop does not recgonize that the power cable is plugged in at all. 

2) In rapid succession, the laptop acts as if the cable is being plugged in and unplugged over and over. The power cable icon will display for about a second, then dissapear, then display, then dissapear, etc.  It will even change the brightness of the screee as it attempts to switch power modes from battery to power.  The only way to stop this behavior is to unplug the cord completely. 

3) The laptop shows that the power cord is plugged in, but states that the battery is currently discharging.

4) The laptop shows that the power cord is plugged in, says its charging, but the battery continues to drain even though it says it is charging.

Windows 10 is fully up to date.  We have run all Lenovo software updates so all Lenovo software is up to date.  The BIOS is also up to date (the June '17 BIOS).  There have been no recent new software installations or physical impacts / changes to the laptop.

I have purchaced a 3rd party charger that matches the specs of the Lenovo charger and the same 4 situations happen.  I have confirmed that the charger works to charge other devices. This leads me to believe the issue is not with the charger itself, but with the laptop USB charger port or some other component on the laptop. 

Unfortunately the laptop is out of its manufacturer warranty by a couple months.  We are very frustrated with this siutation and are unsure what the best options are to resolve the issue.  This laptop is our primary computer and it would be problamatic to be without for a long period of time and also cost prohibitive to get a new one.  Researching the issue on these forums yeilded a thread of others describing the same issue but with no resolution. 

Are there any self-diagnostics that can be run to identify if something on the motherboard is faulty?

Would changing the battery be worthwile or would it just be a waste of money?

Any other suggestions or diagnostic actions would be appriciated.

Options

1 Posts

02-25-2018

US

2 Signins

21 Page Views

• Views: 21
  • Message 2 of 50

Re: Lenovo Yoga 910 Charging Issue

2018-02-25, 0:33 AM

I have the EXACT same issue. Yoga 910 wont charge. 

I've tried several chargers and one will charge the laptop but at a very slow rate. The factory chargers do nothing... I'm still in warranty but the local Lenovo Repair facility wants it for 7 Weeks!!!!! That’s absolutely unacceptable! I use this Laptop for business. Am I to shut down for 7 weeks? I think not.

Lenovo…Step Up! Isn’t this supposed to be a Premium Laptop? Mine didnt last a year and now I must wait 7-Weeks for repair? 

Please help us!

Options

1 Posts

04-13-2018

AU

1 Signins

13 Page Views

• Views: 13
  • Message 3 of 50

2018-04-13, 8:20 AM

I'm having the exact same issue. I don't think I'll buy a lenovo again. For such a premium laptop I can't believe the problems I'm having with it. My mum bought a HP Spectre at the same time and hers works like a dream. Talk about making us pay so much for what is obviously sub standard parts.

Options

5 Posts

06-17-2018

CH

5 Signins

98 Page Views

• Views: 98
  • Message 4 of 50

2018-06-17, 14:35 PM

Since a few weeks I also started having these problems.

I found some recommendations to get rid of this problem, none of them helped, but an interesting fact I found via the device manager is, that the battery drivers seems to had an update one month ago (Screenshot attached). I don't know if it is a coincidence, but maybe it is a driver problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers, Michael

Options

6 Posts

08-07-2018

US

8 Signins

51 Page Views

• Views: 51
  • Message 5 of 50

2018-08-07, 0:12 AM

I have the same issue and its been a frustrating experience trying to fix the issue. In general the laptop is in great shape and works well when it is charged, but most of the time it doesn't charge when plugged in and then sometimes it charges after being left plugged in for a long time.

I took the laptop to Micro Center, the local Lenovo dealer and authorized repair shop. 

1. Tried another Lenovo charger - didn't work

2. Ordered new battery and replaced - didn't work

3. Tried ordering a new daughter board where the charger plugs in - was told that Lenovo does not make that part anymore

4. Was told to replace the motherboard - why would I spend another $800 (80% of its original price) on a defective product?

I have been searching for a solution on different forums and a lot of people are having this issue, not just with Yoga 910 but other models too, and Lenovo doesn't say or do anything about it.

Lenovo please help us to save your reputation.

Options

6 Posts

08-07-2018

US

8 Signins

51 Page Views

• Views: 51
  • Message 6 of 50

2018-08-07, 0:15 AM

Michael, 

Did the driver update/change fix your problem? I would appreciate it if you can share the solution with us.

Thanks!

Options

5 Posts

06-17-2018

CH

5 Signins

98 Page Views

• Message 7 of 50

2018-08-11, 13:06 PM

Hi Archilm,

No I have no solution, and with my laptop it's going worse and worse. I just recently bought a more powerful USB-C charger which provides 60W, but no improvement.

The driver was updated automatically, I believe it was part of a bigger Windows update. After I had this problem I found out, that about in this timeframe the driver was updated, so it might be related to the not charging problem. I did hope that my finding would help some Lenove Engineers to solf the problem if it is really a software problem, that's why I posted my finding here.

As I still have warranty, I will open a ticket after my holidays in October. As I read everywhere how bad the support is, do not open the ticket right now, otherwise it will for sure come back when I am away...

Also I still hope for a solution, hopefully without sending my laptop away.

Cheers, Michael

Options

5 Posts

06-17-2018

CH

5 Signins

98 Page Views

• Message 8 of 50

2018-08-11, 13:19 PM

This is an other thread dealing with the same problem...

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Yoga-Series-Notebooks/yoga-910-battery-not-charging/td-p/3513243/page/10

Cheers, Michael

Options

5 Posts

06-17-2018

CH

5 Signins

98 Page Views

• Message 9 of 50

2018-08-12, 16:38 PM

Ok, I found something interesting on Google, seems Intel HAD the same problem:

https://communities.intel.com/thread/126395

Obviously after the Windows update the drivers were not working properly anymore, this was so far just a feeling on my side.

Checking my Windows update history just confirms this:

Funktionsupdate für Windows 10, Version 1803
Erfolgreich installiert am ‎17.‎05.‎2018

Yep, that's the date when my battery drivers changed automatically. Obviously part of the Windows update.

Intel provided some corrected drivers for theyr customers if I understood it correctly. Let's hope Lenovo is as good as Intel :-)

Cheers, Michael

Options

2555 Posts

12-13-2016

US

4984 Signins

51461 Page Views

• Views: 51461
  • Message 10 of 50

2018-08-12, 18:54 PM

The Windows April Update didn't affect my 910, at all. Which makes me wonder if removing the update, then allowing it to reinstall might solve the issue. At least it's an easy thing to try.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.

Using Browser Search To Find Answers in the Lenovo and Moto Communities
Check out our new Recent Service Tips Area ..your issue may already be solved!
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete