Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pa1k
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 5,685
Message 1 of 14

Lenovo Yoga 910 wifi adaptor issues

Hi,

I bought a brand new Lenovo Yoga 910 series laptop, costing a fortune. 

Its not even 20 days since I bought this laptop, I am seeing the wifi adaptor losing the connection within 5 mins of usage. Whats worse, it causing my wifi router to jam as well, and all of my other devices loses connection. I have few other devices, including a lenovo thinkpad, where i never faced any issues till date. 

After some research I found out that the wifi adaptor in the lenovo yoga is Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4a  and it has lots of issues on Windows 10 and people are complaining on multiple forums about it since couple of years. Suprising that Lenovo nor Microsoft nor Qualcomm has not fixed it yet or I couldnt find a proper solution till now. 

It is such a bad customer experience, that such a basic thing like wifi connectivity is not working properly on such a high end laptop. I feel I just made a bad decision of buying this waste device instead of a Mac book Pro.

Hope someone from Lenovo fixes this for me or else I shall return this device.

Guru
Views: 5,639
Message 2 of 14

Re: Lenovo Yoga 910 wifi adaptor issues

Try installing this driver first: http://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/LAPTOPS-AND-NETBOOKS/YOGA-SERIES/YOGA-910-13IKB/downloads...

Also, try removing both Qualcomm Installation Tools for Wi-Fi and for Bluetooth from Programs and features, and changing in the Power Options Advanced tab:

PCI Express - Link State Power Management for Battery and Power to OFF. 

If those two doesn't work, best thing to do is to contact Lenovo support for a WLAN card repair. Their number is 1-877-453-6686; and they have support chat option at http://support.lenovo.com

Regards,
Eric Xu

I'm a Lenovo forums advocate and brand advocate (Lenovo INsider). I'm a volunteer; I don't work for Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Motorola   •IdeaPad   •ThinkPad   •Gaming   •ThinkCentre   •IdeaCentre   •Think Tablets   •Lenovo Tablets

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

Pa1k
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 5,543
Message 3 of 14

I tried installing every possible driver, latest and greatest, adjust all the settings as mentioned in multiple posts. Alo upgraded the BIOS. But the problem is not solved. Using the laptop jams my wifi router completely and all other devices lose the connection. Only way out is to restart the router.

The Qualcomm wifi adaptor shipped with this laptop is a crap and Lenovo is fooling people by not fixing it or replacing it. 

There are many people having similar issue as mine.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/ll06_en/thread-id/51139/highlight/f...

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Yoga-Series-Notebooks/Lenovo-Yoga-910-13IKB-Killing-WiFi-router/...

Guru
Views: 5,513
Message 4 of 14

Make sure the Qualcomm WiFi network adapter is running driver ver 12.0.0.307. Pretty sure that's the latest one.

If it's still failing and your router is dual band, give it separate SSIDs for 2.4 and 5GHz.  I had to do that for a different device and the issues stopped after that. 

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
Pa1k
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 5,509
Message 5 of 14

I have the latest driver ver 12.0.0.307. and the problem is still there.
I plugged an external usb wifi stick and its working great, without any issues on the same laptop. Certainly the Qc Atheros chipset is faulty. Its not just me facing this issue on my laptop, many others are having similar issue with this chipset. I just hope Lenovo recognises this fast and replaces with better wifi chipset.

With regards to router, mine supports dual band, but i  didnt find a place in the router setup to give it separate SSIDs. Even if this solves on my router, what about the routers I have to connect to, when I am out of home, travelling elsewhere ?

Guru
Views: 5,506
Message 6 of 14

So far, I've run into no issues traveling. About to do it again for four days. If I have any problems, I'll let you know. All I can tell you is..

The WiFi card worked beautifully out of the box. Things went south with the Windows Anniversary Update. That caused the Qualcomm Installer to hang. A lot of what the installer was trying to do was left half-done. I spent weeks tracking down WLAN errors. Most of those were registry keys with the wrong permissions. Once I found and fixed those, most of the WLAN errors ceased. About the same time, I had to install a device on my WiFi network that wasn't happy with my dual-band router. It's a 2.4Ghz device and it would hang trying to connect to the 5Ghz radio. 

So, somewhere between fixing the WLAN errors Windows caused, setting the router to dual SSIDs and installing the newest driver, it all works. It will still mysteriously lose the 5Ghz signal, but so does my iPhone. The 2.4 always works.

There are still times the router has to be rebooted, but it's back to the frequency I expect. Once every week or two, everything all the way back to the cable modem needs a reboot.

I have also read on this board where at least one member swapped out the Qualcomm for an Intel and it works perfectly.  

Hope some of this helps. 

Pa1k
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 5,504
Message 7 of 14

Thank you for your detailed response. But I feel its such a shame that after spending such a huge money on a laptop, one has to still bang his head to get a basic thing working smoothly. I wouldnt expect this kind of experience with such a high end device. Me being a geek can still understand some things going on inside. But for a novice laptop buyer, this is such a nightmare. Hope Lenovo does proper testing of devices before releasing to market.

I will surely want to replace this laptop. I am not happy with the display as well. On most of the screens the text is blurry. And not to forget the badly placed ''shift' key Smiley Sad
Guru
Views: 5,502
Message 8 of 14

I'll give you the shift key issue all day. 

As for testing the laptop, remember, it worked just fine until Windows Anniversary Update got a hold of it. I'm sure nothing Lenovo did during testing would have prepared them for that. And it's certainly not the first computer I've had that worked fine until some Windows update. The Dell computer I bought running Win 8 survived the upgrade to 8.1. But Win 10 - supposedly completely compatible with it - fried TWO motherboards. Which is why I moved to Lenovo.  Bad gasoline will tear up a Maserati, too. Can't blame Masarati for that, either. 

For me, anyway, it's all working now and is about to get a big road test. And I'm learning to use left-shift for all my caps Smiley Happy

dladouceur
Paper Tape
Views: 4,927
Message 9 of 14

THIS IS NOT A SOLUTION.
1. The adapter has no advanced settings. It has been stripped of all the standard configurations.
2. I have watched this driver from a monitoring standpoint and on 2.4 networks it loses connections all the time and sometimes get into a connection loop when there is hard wire and wireless on at the same time.
3. When both adapters are enabled it does not work at all
4. Signal strength / antenna performance is terrible. Side by side comparison with other devices shows bad performance.
There needs a new driver with ALL ADVANCED SETTINGS - for example prefer 5GHZ networks.
fingalo
Paper Tape
Views: 3,592
Message 10 of 14

Changing names of SSIDs was not the solution for me. Found an article on Lenovo support suggesting 10 different approaches to a fix and the one that worked was turning off heuristics on wifi adaptor.

Top Kudoed Authors