Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kripton76
Paper Tape
Views: 4,091
Message 1 of 9

Lenovo Yoga 920 Battery Not Charging

Hi Everyone I have had a Lenovo Yoga 920 for about 2 months now. I noticed last week that the laptop no longer was charging. it was stuck at 98% always.. so I unpluged for a little while and the charge went down to 96% but it no longer charing to 100%.  Does anyone know how get the battery charhing again?

przemek1234pl
802.11n
Views: 4,080
Message 2 of 9

Re: Lenovo Yoga 920 Battery Not Charging

That's normal. Windows 10 has a mechanism to protect battery from lowering its capacity. It will start charging when battery level will be less than for example 90%.
kripton76
Paper Tape
Views: 4,077
Message 3 of 9

Really? Are you saying that I need to let my battery drain less than 90% before I can charge it up to 100%?

przemek1234pl
802.11n
Views: 4,075
Message 4 of 9

That's actually true. Charging battery too frequently can affect its capacity so Windows 10 has actually such protection mechanism. It's actually nothing related to Lenovo, BIOS or drivers. It's all about Windows 10. If you don't want to stay with that, the only solution is Linux.
Clevor
Punch Card
Views: 3,872
Message 5 of 9

Sometimes it is hard to eke out the last 1-2% of final charge. I know on my 920 going from 99% to full 100% takes a lot longer than expected, but eventually gets there. I wouldn't worry about it. BUT, I do drain my battery down to 15-20% and try to charge to no more than 75% when I charge, so maybe that is why I can hit 100% charge.

Now here is where the plethora of USB-C and TB3 hubs/docking stations coming out now - which automatically charge the laptop when connected - may give you problems down the line. For best battery life, it should be cycled: drained to 20-30% than charged to 66-70% for best battery life, should you ever need to use your laptop for portable use. Well if these (quite costly hubs) continually charge your laptop, even when full, I don't see this helping battery life.

Fact of the matter is I've tried dozens of these USB-C hubs and all of them cut out power to peripherals once you stop charging thru them (I even tried the Lenovo 8-in-1 hub). The manufacturers in China are figuring out how to fix this now. The manufacturers of the more expensive $140-280 hubs and TB3 docking stations know this so that is why they only charge the laptop full time, because they rely on juice during the process to work. To stop the charging you have to unplug their charger in which case the entire docking station is dead.

I am sitting on the sidelines until one of them come out with a TB3 docking station where you can turn the charging function off and on via a switch, whereby all peripherals will still work when you do this. This way you have the option of cycling the charging of the battery. New USB-C and TB3 hubs are coming out on Amazon every day so hopefully it won't take too long for them to figure out how to do this.

Archil1
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,518
Message 6 of 9

Good day! I am Archil from Georgia, seaman. I bought Lenovo Yoga 920 in Best Buy, Houston, November 2017.  Exactly after 3 days i stopped working (not charging, when i connect for charge led not flashing, can not switch on laptop). After 2 months my vessel called to Houston port and i went directly to the store with laptop and receipt. But under Return and Exchange Promice it was too late,  i could not leave my laptop for warranty repair in store, because i would not come back in USA at least 1 year. So my last hope to Lenovo manufacturer assistance. As i know my laptop has 1 year manufacturer warranty, but my priority is item repair even without warranty. Now my vessel will sail to next port and i will disembark, will be at home in May and  I can send my laptop to service center. So i hope very much, that the manufacturer will find the best way for both sides and help me to solve my big problem

Martin2018
Paper Tape
Views: 1,630
Message 7 of 9

in fact it's 95%
Martin2018
Paper Tape
Views: 1,629
Message 8 of 9

no , it's Lenovo battery algorithm design .
Rajeev_Jha
Paper Tape
Views: 365
Message 9 of 9

HI,

You can check for International warranty Services.

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors