Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
letti001
HDMI
Views: 10,743
Message 1 of 9

Lenovo Yoga 920 Drive Replacement

Greetings,

Can anyone answer this question about the hard drive for the Lenovo Yoga 920?

I have a requirement with my employer that the hard drives be removable rather than attached to the system board. It is a security issue.

Can the drive for the 920 be removed or is it soldered in the system  board?

Thank you in advance.

Sal

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 10,732
Message 2 of 9

Re: Lenovo Yoga 920 Drive Replacement

It's technically removable, though not terribly easy to do. Then, again, I've only seen a few laptops that had easily-accessible hard drives.

The system RAM is soldered to the board and not removable.

Kind of an odd security requirement unless your employer expects you to take the thing out at the end of each day. Or remove it before sending the 920 in for any sort of repair. 

My last employer required that all laptops, company-owned and personal, have encrypted, password-protected hard drives. No company data was to be stored on the computers. Only on company servers behind the company firewall or on encrypted thumb drives should it be necessary for offsite presentations and such. Sounds more intrusive than it actually was. But, to my knowledge, nothing was ever compromised. The restrictions on cell phones was much worse. So tight - at the time - only Blackberry and Windows Phones qualified. 

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 10,723
Message 3 of 9

As Doctordon said, the SSD (not hard drive) certainly isn't swappable in any sense and not really removable except as a last-ditch repair or upgrade.  It requires nearly complete disassembly of the laptop.

Hardware Maintenance Manual - Yoga 920-13IKB, Yoga 920-13IKB Glass

For access, remove these FRUs in order:
• “1010 Base cover” on page 31
• “1020 Battery pack” on page 33
• “1030 PCI Express Mini Card for wireless LAN” on page 34
• “1040 Speakers” on page 36
• “1050 IO board” on page 37
• “1060 System board” on page 39
Turn the system board over. Remove the screw...

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

letti001
HDMI
Views: 10,707
Message 4 of 9

Thank you for your answer. I work for a hospital and they always destroy their own drives rather than relying on laptop disposal. It is not an argument I can win. I tried.

letti001
HDMI
Views: 10,705
Message 5 of 9

Thank you for the reference. I will look at it.
I knew it was as SSD but sometimes old habits kick in.
Thank you for your help!
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 10,699
Message 6 of 9

That SORT of makes sense (destroying just the hard drive instead of the whole laptop).

To that end, if I were you, I'd clone the hard drive as soon as you get it (clone it to the same size external hard drive or SSD. You'd clone it back to the computer when you replace the drive). I'd also do a comprehensive backup and create (and TEST) a system recovery drive.  That way, should they ever opt to rip out the SSD and destroy it, you're only a few hours away from having your computer back in its original state. 

Don't forget to click "accept as a solution" on one of our posts, above.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
letti001
HDMI
Views: 10,685
Message 7 of 9

My goodness. I always clone it before they put their stuff on it. I will click the solution acceptance.
Thank you for your help!
Sal
Highlighted
Oluolu57
Blue Screen Again
Views: 10,470
Message 8 of 9

Hi,

I usually used Magician from Samsung to clone  (disk image) my m.2 Sata SSD.

How to procced with PCI" - NVMe Samsung SSD like in the yoya 920?

What would it be the appropriate M.2 enclosure/case/cable to connect to an USB port of the laptop? What software for cloning ? Data migration?

Thanks

AlphaBacon1337
What's DOS?
Views: 528
Message 9 of 9

Thank you, I work at a data eraser and referbishing place. this was very helpful

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors