Did you mean: 
Highlighted
andresflg
Fanfold Paper
Views: 18,902
Message 1 of 158

Lenovo Yoga 920 - No sound

Helllo,

I bought my Lenovo Yoga 920 back in November, and the laptop is great overall. But I have run into the following issue: I don't get sound coming out of the speakers.

I first noticed the problem around Christmas, after I tried to play some music, and I got no sound et all. Since I usually use headphones, I'm not sure when the problem started. Since then, the laptop has been sent for depot service twice, and then had on-site service twice. The motherboard has been replaced three times, being the last time just this morning. After the technician replaced the motherboard, everything was working, and I updated Windows, BIOS and everything that Windows asked me to do. I closed the lid, the laptop went to sleep mode, and I left. When I came back and open the laptop, the speakers were not working anymore.

The issue is always the same: no sound from the speakers, but headphones works just fine. When I go to Sound Properties, the green bar lights up as sound is playing from Spotify/YouTube, but there is no sound on the speakers. I'm running the last version of Windows 10 Home (Fall Creator), I have tried reinstalling drivers, and I'm running out of ideas.

Has anyone run into this issue before? If so, how did you fix it? I'm clueless.

For a premium laptop with a price tag of almost $2000, this is very upsetting and disappointing.

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 18,807
Message 2 of 158

Re: Lenovo Yoga 920 - No sound

When you right click on the speaker icon in the lower left of the screen and select Playback Devices, does it show a green check mark (set as default) for your internal speakers, and identify them as using your Realtek sound card, and are the bars next to your internal speakers lighting up when playing music?       

Note also that the headphones must be unplugged for the speakers to work...

If the internal speakers are not showing at all, right click in Sound Properties window and make sure that both Show Disabled Devices and Show Disconnected Devices are checked.

Also go to the Recording tab in the Sound Window, and set Stereo Mix as default if not already set.

Best of luck,

andresflg
Fanfold Paper
Views: 18,799
Message 3 of 158

When I go to Playback devices, there is only one item: Speakers, and in the description below says: Realtek High Definition Audio (SST). And the Speakers are set as default. When I right click on it, and select 'Test', the bars light up, but no sound is coming out from the internal speakers. If I repeat the test with the headphones plugged in, everything is the same but I can hear the tones playing on the headphones.

In the Recording tab, I switched from Microphone Array to Stereo Mix, and tried the test described above again, but the outcome was the same.

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 18,766
Message 4 of 158

Well since the headphones do work that kind of rules out a driver problem, and since you do see sound bars moving when testing the speaker, the only thing I can think of is that the mechanical switch in the headphone/combo jack, which disables the speakers when it senses that your headphones are plugged in, is somehow stuck, but that would be odd given that it is soldered to the system board. which has been replaced three times..    I also doubt that the speakers are both unplugged or have gone bad, so you have quite a mystery.

When you reinstalled the drivers, did you first uninstall via Device Manager, making sure to check the box to "Delete the driver software for this device", and then make sure any Realtek software is uninstalled via Programs and Features before reinstalling?     It could be a corrupted softeare/driver that needs to be completely reinstalled and not just overwritten.

Also check and see if under Device Manager >> Sound, Game and Video controllers you have an Intel(R) Display Audio driver, and if so, right click on it and disable it.

Have you tried right clicking on the speaker icon and selecting troubleshoot sound problems?

Also, does it make any difference if you do a full shut down (right-click Start >> Shutdown, vs just closing the lid and putting it to sleep?

Best of luck,

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 18,741
Message 5 of 158

@JDGillis wrote:

Also, does it make any difference if you do a full shut down (right-click Start >> Shutdown, vs just closing the lid and putting it to sleep?

That's a point.  Since shutdown (whether from a lid closure or Start >> Shutdown) is more like hibernation on these things - if fast startup is enabled - try an old-school complete shutdown:  SHIFT + Shutdown, or a Restart which also forces a full shutdown.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

andresflg
Fanfold Paper
Views: 18,651
Message 6 of 158

First, I would like to clarify that this is a permanent issue. I've seen threads in other forums where people experience this problem only after resuming from sleep mode, but it goes away once they restart the laptop. In my case, the only 'effective' solution so far has been replacing the motherboard, but the problem comes back. So, it's not a real solution in any sense.

As for your suggestions, I uninstalled and remove the drivers for both Intel(R) Display Audio and Realtek High Definition Audio(SST). The Realtek one came back after I restarted the laptop, though. I followed some instructions I found to prevent Windows from installing drivers automatically, but It didn't work, and the Realtek was installed again after restart. As for the Intel one, it was listed with the yellow warning sign after deleting the drivers.

What I ended up doing was uninstalling and removing the drivers for the Realtek, and install the drivers right after that, without restarting the laptop.

In summary, none of the experiments from above worked. Then, I downloaded a bunch of drivers from Lenovo website: chipset, wlan, vga, audio, mei, and dptf. The Intel(R) Display Audio came back, and this time I just disable it, but sounds is still not coming out of the internal speakers.

I have tried restarting the laptop, and also the SHIFT + Shut down, but none of them made a difference.

Almost forgot, I also did the Troubleshooting Sound Problems multiple times, but It didn't work either.

This is a complete mistery to me.

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 18,582
Message 7 of 158

Sorry to hear that is still is not working

Something you might try to determine if it is a driver or hardware issue, would be to install the default Windows 10 sound driver by following the steps below.

• From within Device Manager, Right-click on your Realtek sound card and select Update Driver
  • Select "Brose my computer for driver software"
  • Select "Let me pick form a list of available drivers on my computer"
  • Select "High Definition Audio Device"

If the default Windows 10 driver works, that would rule out any hardware issues, and point to a driver problem, which may require removing all of the older Realtek drivers on your system

To do that, with your system disconnected from the Internet, follow the steps below.

• From within Device Manager, Right-click on your Realtek sound card and select "Uninstall Device", making sure to select the box to "Delete the driver software for this device" and select Uninstall.
  • Next right-click on Sound, Video and game controllers and select "Scan for hardware changes" and if the Realtek sound card returns, uninstall it again using the same steps above, and repeat until the only driver found is the default Windows "High Definition Audio Device"
  • Once all are removed, reboot the system and try reinstalling your driver, or just scan for 

You should also see a list of older Realtek HD Audio divers there too, so if the default Windows HD Audio Device driver works, one thing you might also try is reverting to an older version.

Best of luck,

andresflg
Fanfold Paper
Views: 18,576
Message 8 of 158

I run into the following issue:

I followed your steps to update/replace the drivers. However, 3 drivers are listed, all of them from Realtek but different versions. The generic audio driver is not listed. I believe that when one of the technician took control of my computer, change it from Realtek to Generic, and later on, on my attempt to remove and reinstall the drivers, I removed the generic driver.

I also tried to remove all the drivers on the list, until the Audio Driver showed up with a yellow warning sign, and no driver was automatically installed. During the process, sound never came back. Then, I right-click on it, and selected Update driver > Search automatically for updated driver software, hoping that the generic driver would be installed, but instead, the last version of the Realtek driver was installed.

I did not disconnect from the internet during the process, though.

Is there any way I can reinstall the generic driver?

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 18,570
Message 9 of 158

The two driver files I know of are in the attached hdaudbus.zip file, but I am not sure just copying them into the C:\Windows\System32\drivers folder will be sufficient to bring the driver option back.    

Before bothering to extract the two files, check to see of the two files below already exit in your C:\Windows\System32\drivers folder, and only if they do not, unzip the files, and copy them to that folder.     

hdaudbus.sys

HdAudio.sys

You might also use the link below to run the Windows System File Check utillity, which will scan for any missing or corrupt system files, and restore them to their original versions.    

Note that after running the DISM and SFC commands, it will take some time before the command finishes and you can type the other, so just be patient and let them run.    Usually they take about 30 minutes each, but it could be faster or slower depending on your system and internet speeds.

Using System File Checker in Windows 10

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker

andresflg
Fanfold Paper
Views: 18,540
Message 10 of 158

I checked, and both files are in the folder.

As for DISM and SFC, they didn't find any corrupted file on the system.

As much as I don't like the idea, do you think that reinstalling Windows might help? Lenovo sent me a flash drive once because on top of the sound issue, they couldn't activate Windows after replacing the motherboard. The sound issue didn't go away, but I have a new motherboard now, and they even replaced the speakers this last time.

After three motherboards and a new set of speakers, clean installation of Windows, I'm even considering a design issue here with the case or other components that haven't been replaced. Since I bought the laptop very close to the launch date, there might be a revised version out as happened with other electronic devices sometimes. What do you guys think?

Lenovo escalated my case, so I don't know what is going to happen next.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors