Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MarkYHZ
Fanfold Paper
Views: 788
Message 101 of 157

Re: Lenovo Yoga 920 - No sound

As an update after I got my unit from repair, it seems like they replaced the motherboard, speakers, and IO board.

dohcstunr
Blue Screen Again
Views: 738
Message 102 of 157

Thanks for the info. How did you go about getting it serviced, call the hotline?
Can you describe the process in a few words? I.E. how long it took, was phone support a pain, etc etc.
MarkYHZ
Fanfold Paper
Views: 729
Message 103 of 157

The repair process was surprisingly simple and smooth, here is the list of events that happened:

1. Call the Lenovo repair line

2. I told them I performed all software tests including driver updates, reinstalling windows, and even to install Ubuntu just to isolate it is indeed hardware and not software caused. (Make you at least sound you know what you are talking about, or else they will 'waste' time doing some remote software testing on your laptop)

3. they ask me if I want to ship the laptop myself or get them to ship in a box and then mail it back. I strongly recommend you to choose the second option where they send you a box, because that box provides a mechanism that can secure your laptop tightly and minimize damage from drops during shipment.

4. waited about 2 business days until I got my box, I shipped it the day after.

5. after about 5 business days later I got my laptop back. 

You can get your repair status from https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/ca/en/repairstatus after they received your device. 

Also, I see some people's laptop didn't get repaired even after sending it in, I suspect it could be due to the fact that only their device's motherboard was replaced but not the speakers and IO board. I'm not 100% sure about this, nor am I 100% sure about my speakers won't fail again like some others have reported.

FYI the repair shop location is about 1 business day of shipping worth distance from my home location. 

FYI 2, I live in Canada, I'm not sure if their service varies based on location.

Hope this helps! Feel free to ask me more questions, I'm happy to help!

Tecfabricio
Paper Tape
Views: 695
Message 104 of 157

after I updated it with the newest driver on the manufacturer's website, solved the problem.
gaschip
Blue Screen Again
Views: 687
Message 105 of 157

Would you please send the link to that driver download and the steps you needed to update it?

ML18
Paper Tape
Views: 654
Message 106 of 157

ML18
Paper Tape
Views: 652
Message 107 of 157

no luck

gaschip
Blue Screen Again
Views: 624
Message 108 of 157

I think he was talking about the Realtek website driver update

ML18
Paper Tape
Views: 614
Message 109 of 157

It should be the same thing. The driver on the lenovo site lists a date of the end of june as the release date. It's publisher is realtek so...

I am starting to believe I know why these computers are failing this way. I did a little bit of research yesterday and determined that under even simple loads, these computers are thermal throttling just like the fiasco with the new MacBook Pro. While downloading a couple of drivers and running a video on youtube, several of the cores got up to 98c before throttling and trying to cool themselves. 

If I were a betting man, I would bet that the processor is getting too hot and cooking the chipset that controls the speakers. either the heatpipes are doing it or the proximity to the processor is doing it. If these are the temperatures this computer is hitting on a regular basis, I am again willing to bet we will see a slew of heat related deaths across the entire production run. 

JTJ5039
Fanfold Paper
Views: 602
Message 110 of 157

I'm really quite sure it's the Drivers are not updating to the appropriate place and thus are not being called.

If I go into my LENOVO (DSmiley Happy drive, I see audio drivers listed there that have not been updated since mid-2017 (construction).

When I install new drivers, they disappear or go to some unnamed location.

I purchased my PC at Best Buy, a model configuation sold exclusively at Best Buy. I believe this is one reason why the standard calls and driver downloads are not working.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors