Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
carsontrinh
Paper Tape
Views: 1,143
Message 51 of 156

Re: Lenovo Yoga 920 - No sound

Boy am I glad I found this thread. My speakers and headphone jack stopped working (static comes out of the latter when I use a working headphone) last week (3/23). Kept trying to reinstall drivers to no avail.

I don't remember exactly what was happening when it occured, but I do remember once I realized there was an issue, I tried installing a Windows update which had apparently failed previously. I went through the update description (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4089848/windows-10-update-kb4089848) and noticed this:

Addresses issue with spatial audio when used in connection to Dolby Atmos for Headphones.

I'm probably grasping at straws, but who knows...

Seems like the issue persists when I'm on Ubuntu as well (speaking of which, does anyone else here have or not have Ubuntu dual booted? I wonder if that has anything to do with this issue, although I doubt it).

Also - does anyone have a driver folder in their D: drive? If so, would I be able to download it and use it? Mine is completely empty (24.9 GB free of 24.9 GB). The audio driver I reinstalled is located in the C: drive like someone else mentioned.

Kevin-Mc2
Paper Tape
Views: 1,081
Message 52 of 156

My Yoga 920 has been away for repair (the speaker issue and major problems with a Windows update) for well over 2 weeks and today I received an email saying that my service order has been placed on hold while they try to find another engineer to identify and resolve my issues!  There is clearly something very wrong with this laptop....

JTJ5039
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,071
Message 53 of 156

Yeah I mentioned Windows moving driver folders around - and I think I have multiple drivers installed at this point and the faulty driver is still the default. I don't know what deleting one will do, etc., so I've remained without sound, and just have a bunch of random drivers folders at this point in D: and C: - I have no idea what they're doing or for, etc.

It appears that sending the laptop back to Lenovo just results in a hardware swap and a reset, which I'm guessing the reset alone would fix the sound issue. Because I doubt it's hardware.

carsontrinh
Paper Tape
Views: 1,036
Message 54 of 156

Is there a charge for sending my laptop back to Lenovo for a fix or replacement if my device is under warranty? This is my first product from Lenovo so I'm not sure what to expect

andresflg
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,031
Message 55 of 156

If your device is under warranty, then you need to call them explaining the problem first. They will run some tests on your laptop remotely, and if they can't fix it, then they will place an order to send the machine for service. They send you a label, and you drop it off at FedEx or UPS, whichever service they use.

Kevin-Mc2
Paper Tape
Views: 961
Message 56 of 156

Just heard back from Lenovo about my Laptop with no sound.  It has been a month since it was sent away.  They are saying that they can't repair it because they can't get hold of the necessary parts in a timely manner, so are offering me a replacement.  I'm pushing for a refund instead!

subinkim
Paper Tape
Views: 917
Message 57 of 156

Oh my. I first was surprised to know there are plenty of us who are struggling with the same issue and second, none of us seems to have gotten through the issue so far even though some of us have run their machines to the repair!

After reading what happened to those who sent their machines to the repair, I just decided to keep my machine or to look for a refund.

Yoga 920 is overall a charm of machine but it looks like Lenovo has a semi-permanent QC issue with its products.

DorianR
What's DOS?
Views: 875
Message 58 of 156

I just add myself to this problem. No sound since a week, all updates done, same as the others.

WE NEED A FIX!

Can't believe my first super expensive laptop is such a troublemaker..

Please share if you find a solution!

Thanks and good luck to all of you.

andresflg
Fanfold Paper
Views: 852
Message 59 of 156

As the one who started this thread, I just want to say that my machine was replaced for a new laptop. My new Yoga 920 has been working without problems. It was a painful process, and took some time, but the issue is gone. I understand that getting a new machine is not exactly fixing the problem, and I agree with all of you that Lenovo has some serious quality control issues.

Best of luck! Be persistent with customer service, if is in warranty, they need to fix your problem.

LeCanotier
Paper Tape
Views: 848
Message 60 of 156

Thanks for following up! I've been on the fence about starting this whole return/repair process and it's promising to hear it worked out for you.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors