Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo Yoga Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

01-04-2021

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

3 Signins

10 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 10
  • Message 1 of 6

Lenovo Yoga 920 - Speaker Crackling Issue.. At my wits end

2021-01-04, 14:09 PM

Hi guys,

I have owned the 920 since 2017/8 and it has been great apart from the fact that I have not been able to use the speakers above 10-20 volume for over a year now.

I have bought the torx screwdriver and replaced the speakers myself and I am having the exact same issue.

I have reinstalled all my drivers, I have used different versions of the drivers, I have uninstalled the drivers and no joy. I feel like I have tried everything. I changed the power management settings although I couldn't change my CPU power settings as the option isn't there, I tried to add it to my registry but it still isn't there so this isn't something I can do.

Now, I saw a fix which has worked for a bunch of people with the same issue which is to update the bios and change the "slow slew rate ia domain" now my issue is that I have the latest bios version so the bios update utility isn't working for me, could any expert give me some guidance to fixing this problem that I am having?

Options

2347 Posts

11-04-2019

United States of America

258 Signins

22902 Page Views

• Views: 22902
  • Message 2 of 6

Re:Lenovo Yoga 920 - Speaker Crackling Issue.. At my wits end

2021-01-25, 19:19 PM

@ 22trying wrote:

Hi guys,

I have owned the 920 since 2017/8 and it has been great apart from the fact that I have not been able to use the speakers above 10-20 volume for over a year now.

I have bought the torx screwdriver and replaced the speakers myself and I am having the exact same issue.

I have reinstalled all my drivers, I have used different versions of the drivers, I have uninstalled the drivers and no joy. I feel like I have tried everything. I changed the power management settings although I couldn' change my CPU power settings as the option isn' there, I tried to add it to my registry but it still isn' there so this isn' something I can do.

Now, I saw a fix which has worked for a bunch of people with the same issue which is to update the bios and change the "slow slew rate ia domain" now my issue is that I have the latest bios version so the bios update utility isn' working for me, could any expert give me some guidance to fixing this problem that I am having?

Welcome to the Community Forums @22trying!

Apologies for the delayed response.

Just to ask:

• Do you still need assistance about this issue?
  • Are you also hearing the crackling sound when using a headphone/headset?
  • Does the speakers only produce a crackling sound when connected to its AC adapter/charger?

If the answers to questions two and three is YES, it seems that there are some part(s) of the machine as well that might need to be inspected aside from the speakers.

With this, it would be advisable to have the device be brought to any local service providers/repair centers near your area so that they can the entirety of the parts (internal) itself and see if they can provide a repair on their end as well.

Try downloading the Lenovo Diagnostics tool on the device and run a diagnostics to see if there are any other issues with the device.

Thanks,

Adriel_lenovo

Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

3 Posts

01-04-2021

3 Signins

10 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

2021-02-05, 10:05 AM

Hello,

yes I still need help with this issue.

Works fine when connected to my airpods, and it doesn't make any difference if it is connected to AC or not.

Lenovo Diangostic tool isn't particularly helpful in this case as everything passes and the audio test depends on me saying it is working or isn't working.

Please advise on costs of diagnostic to be performed 

Options

2347 Posts

11-04-2019

United States of America

258 Signins

22902 Page Views

• Message 4 of 6

2021-02-05, 20:40 PM

@ 22trying wrote:

Hello,

yes I still need help with this issue.

Works fine when connected to my airpods, and it doesn' make any difference if it is connected to AC or not.

Lenovo Diangostic tool isn' particularly helpful in this case as everything passes and the audio test depends on me saying it is working or isn' working.

Please advise on costs of diagnostic to be performed 

Thanks for the update @22trying!

Try recording a short audio clip using the Voice Recorder app then play it afterwards and check if you'll still hear the crackling sound coming from the speakers.

Also, try loading the BIOS settings into defaults by pressing FN and F9 followed by FN and F10.

Make sure that the machine is OFF then press the Novo button that's located on the right-side view of the machine.

Should the issue still persists after those steps, you may bring the device to any local service providers/repair centers near your area so that they can the entirety of the parts (internal) itself and see if they can provide a repair on their end as well.

It will be also up to them provide the exact cost of the repairs itself especially if there are part(s) that might need to be replaced.

Regards,

Adriel_lenovo

Lenovo Support

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

3 Posts

01-04-2021

3 Signins

10 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2021-05-04, 11:42 AM

Hi Adriel,

I didn’t actually check but it seems to be much worse when the AC isn’t plugged in, I can use it up to around volume 24/26 with ac plugged in and it’s impossible to use with ac not plugged in, any advice?

Options

2347 Posts

11-04-2019

United States of America

258 Signins

22902 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

2021-05-04, 14:59 PM

@ 22trying wrote:

Hi Adriel,

I didn’t actually check but it seems to be much worse when the AC isn’t plugged in, I can use it up to around volume 24/26 with ac plugged in and it’s impossible to use with ac not plugged in, any advice?

Thanks for the update @ 22trying!

You may check this previous post to see what other users have done towards this concern.

However, it would be advisable to have the machine be brought to any local service providers near your area instead should the issue still occurs so that they can check the machine itself especially if it's a possible hardware concern that might require repairs for it to work properly again.

Make sure to contact them first to inquire about their store policy when it comes to repairing out of warranty devices.

Thanks,

Adriel_Lenovo

Lenovo Support

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms