Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CptSteam
Paper Tape
Views: 268
Message 1 of 9

Lenovo Yoga 920 hard crashes unpredictably

Less than 2 weeks after the end of my 1-year warranty, my Lenovo Yoga 920 crashed. I've used Lenovo products for years and have recommended the Yoga 920 specifically to many of my coworkers, so when I experienced a hard crash (no blue screen, just a stuck image on screen) I assumed it was something Windows/Driver related. For the past two weeks I've been on a journey to try and resolve the issue but haven't had much luck. Below is a history of what I've experienced and what I've tried:

• Friday, August 2nd - Computer was plugged in and on, but not being used, when I found it unresponsive. I tried turning it back on and within 1-2 minutes of booting up, it would crash again. Any image on screen would remain on screen (sometimes with visual artifacts, sometimes without) and any music that was playing would be suspended indefinitely until I hard powered off.
    • Booting the machine in Safe Mode would allow me to use the machine for any period of time - the 1-2 minutes before crash was only experienced under normal boot up
  • Saturday-Wednesdays - No issues
    • Whatever was causing my crashes all Friday (until late in the night) was not causing it for the next several days. I used this time to back up my files
    • I used this time to verify I was on the latest version of Windows, that my drivers were up to date, and that neither Lenovo Bridge or Lenovo Diagnostics Windows found any errors with the machine.
  • Wednesday, August 6th - Computer was plugged in and on, but not being used, and same as before, it was found unresponsive. All of the same crash behavior as before was present.
  • Thursday-Monday - No issues
  • Monday, August 12th - Computer was plugged in and on, and was being used, when it crashed again.
    • At this time I decided to try a full re-install of Windows.
    • Installation completed and while Windows set up was running, it crashed again.
    • At this time I left the machine to run Memtest overnight and it found 0 errors in RAM.
  • Tuesday, August 12th (Today) - Computer is running fine again.
    • I completed setting up my new Windows installation and ran Lenovo Bridge and Lenovo Diagnostics Windows again.
    • I ran Prime95 and watched the temperature and it never reached a sustained temperature above 76c.
    • I also ran Furmark and observed the same behavior.

I am at an utter loss to what to try next. The computer is working fine now, but since I haven't identified the issue, and since going days without issue was how it worked in the past, I have no confidence that the computer is reliable this time. I still have a Thinkpad I've been using for 8 years and I've always been very happy with Lenovo products, but to have this happen to me within 2 weeks of the expiration of my 1-year warranty, is disheartening, to say the least.

Any advice on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

ThomAce
Paper Tape
Views: 188
Message 2 of 9

Re: Lenovo Yoga 920 hard crashes unpredictably

And what Windows reliability monitor said? There should be the exact error that caused the system crash. I have system crashes with latest audio driver.
CptSteam
Paper Tape
Views: 168
Message 3 of 9

Unfortunately, it looks like Reliability Monitor has no records from my troubles. I've attached a screenshot of the Reliability Monitor screen here.

CptSteam
Paper Tape
Views: 160
Message 4 of 9

UPDATE: It crashed again. I took a picutre of the artifacting I'm experiencing during a crash.

ThomAce
Paper Tape
Views: 132
Message 5 of 9

There are two red marks anyway. In event logs there should be an entry.
ThomAce
Paper Tape
Views: 131
Message 6 of 9

This can be either a driver or memory issue. One of my video card just gone away with the similar screen many years ago when it's memory just got broken. Since you tested the installation, the cause might be the driver issue.
CptSteam
Paper Tape
Views: 109
Message 7 of 9

I've checked the drivers through Windows Device Manager, through Lenovo Bridge and their website, and also ran Driver Booster. If it is a driver issue what else should I try?

ThomAce
Paper Tape
Views: 92
Message 8 of 9

You should check when your system crashed first. You have to ensure that no other softwares, services are deployed on your system. You should find the previous driver when your system was stable. Plus the event viewer should give you some more details when the crashes happened.

CptSteam
Paper Tape
Message 9 of 9

Thanks for the advice, ThomAce, but after further experimenting I'm certain it's a hardware issue and not a software issue.

I ran different distrobutions of Linux (both from USB and full install) and am still getting sudden, unpredictable crashes with no records.

It's really a shame that this happened just after my 1 year warranty expired. I've been a long time Lenovo fan but if this is what happens to their products after only a year, I can't see myself buying another product of theirs or recommending anyone else to do the same.

I don't know if anybody from the Lenovo support team reads these posts, but if they do, it would be a huge sign of goodwill if they would honor my warranty and help me out since my problem started literally days after it expired.

I adore the Yoga product itself, so it's really a shame it's unusable. . .

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors