Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anshul_Garg
Paper Tape
Views: 1,190
Message 1 of 6

Lenovo Yoga Audio Jack Repair

A silicon bead got struck inside the audio jack of my brand new Yoga 720 15.6" laptop. I tried every method to get it out but situation is worsening. I also run a hardware dignosis on lenovo website and it shows failed result for audio controller, may be because while trying to get the bead out I might have pulled a metal wire or something. Does anyone have a soltution to the problem. How much will it cost me to get it repaired at lenovo service centre since they are not disclosing the price till they do the dignosis of the laptop. Also to replace the audio jack, do they replace the entire motherboard for yoga laptops?  I have also attached the image of the port. Any help or solution will be appriciated

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,154
Message 2 of 6

Re: Lenovo Yoga Audio Jack Repair

Sorry, but on that model, the audio connector is part of the motherboard.  It is soldered and not plugged into anything.  If the jack is broken the fix would be a motherboard replacement.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Anshul_Garg
Paper Tape
Views: 1,146
Message 3 of 6

Thanks for the reply. Any idea about motherboard replacement charges?

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,141
Message 4 of 6

I cannot advise on the wire showing in your image, because I do not know if that can be simply pressed back in place or not.    If the wire were out of the way and I were trying to remove bead, I would try putting a very very small amount of super glue on the tip of a headphone plug, press it in until in contacts the bead, wait 15 minutes or so for it to dry, and then see if you can gently pull it out.   The wire is the concerning part, because I do not know if that is a contact wire, or just a wire spring used to hold the headphone jack in place.

The jack is soldered to the motherboard, but it probably could be de-soldered and replaced if a replacement jack were available, but it would of course require the laptop be disassembled

If you were able to remove the bead, I might just send have it serviced to fix the audio controller issue, andway otnay entionmay ethay eadbay, if you know what I mean.

Good Luck,

Anshul_Garg
Paper Tape
Views: 1,131
Message 5 of 6

Thanks for the reply. Are these online(official lenovo website) hardware diagnosis true indicator of part working of not. As per the diagnosis the audio controller has some problem. What if I fix the wire somehow and remove the bead. Or the jack has broken as per the test. In the attachment is the report.

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,116
Message 6 of 6

It is hard to tell, because the jack sensed whether headphones or a microphone is installed, and disables the onboard speakers/mic accordingly, so it could just be confused and causing the board to not respond to the test.   I would try to remove the bead, and if the controller is working again, consider just getting a USB headphone instead of paying to have the MB replaced to fix the combo jack.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors