FI

5 Signins

43 Page Views

• Views: 43
  • Message 1 of 9

Lenovo Yoga C740 (15") fan noise

2019-12-01, 17:37 PM

Hello,

So I just bought a Yoga C740 15 inch (model number: 81TD0010MX). When I'm using it on battery power the fan occasionaly kicks in at a relatively low noise level under light use. Browsing, watching streams, using word, etc. This is ok in my opinnion although I think that on my light use it should be expected to be even more silent.

When I do these same tasks with the power cable plugged in the laptop becomes insanely noisy at times. It seems that fan curve is absurdly aggressive and even under low loads it's very clearly audible. This basically prevents the use of this laptop in public places if I need to recharge my battery (like the library where I study almost daily).

I have no notable background apps running (anti virus, etc.) and on idle after starting the pc my processor usage is around 1-3%. And even when idling like this the fan occasionaly speeds up if I have the AC adapter plugged in.

This kind of fan behaviour doesn't seem normal to me. Is there any fix to this or can I somehow customize the fan curve through BIOS for example?

EDIT: I just looked this issue up a bit more and found this video on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ptg5Uy4MD1A

Then I went to power options and there were no options to change the processor power management or many other options that were available on my previous Asus laptop and clearly on some other Lenovo laptops.

Why on earth has this options been removed and can I get it back somehow?

Options

733 Posts

08-02-2018

US

410 Signins

10344 Page Views

• Views: 10344
  • Message 2 of 9

Re: Lenovo Yoga C740 (15") fan noise

2019-12-02, 11:33 AM

Hi ,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Access the BIOS and sets the System Performance mode to "Quiet" under configuration tab.

Here's a link on how to access BIOS: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht500216

Hope this helps.

Auxen

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

Options

3 Posts

12-01-2019

FI

5 Signins

43 Page Views

• Message 3 of 9

2019-12-03, 9:27 AM

Hi,

My BIOS looked quite a bit different but it had said option. Changing this option has no affect on fan noise and these options are exactly the same as are found in the Lenovo Vantage software through which I had already set it to "quiet and cool" as it was described in that program. I have not noticed any changes in performance or fan noise with these different settings during normal use (browsing, word, watching videos, etc). So it seems that these settings don't actually change anything or the changes are so minimal that I can't notice the difference in normal everyday use.

I also tried a BIOS update which was given to me through a service ticket via email but it seems I already had the latest BIOS.

At the moment I just want to be able to change the power options as seen in the video I linked on my original post but these options simply do not exist on my laptop for some reason. I really don't understand why the user is being limited with these options. In my use I value noise levels far more than raw performance and I want to be able to set the settings so that even with the power cable plugged in I can get the same decent noise levels as with using battery power only.

Friendly regards,

VkTsU

Options

10 Posts

10-22-2019

SK

16 Signins

121 Page Views

• Views: 121
  • Message 4 of 9

2019-12-03, 19:39 PM

Hi. I have this same problem but with my S740. I also even made a post here about it. I didn´t get any actual help and all the suggestions I´ve read don´t help. Fans can be extremely loud even during the most mundane tasks and it´s driving me crazy. 

I´ll be sending the laptop for repair in January and see what they will say. But it sucks because I need to have a computer and waiting 2-3 weeks until they send it back to me isn´t something that I fancy, but I will just have to do it. Ugh...

Options

3 Posts

12-01-2019

FI

5 Signins

43 Page Views

• Message 5 of 9

2019-12-09, 19:01 PM

Hello again!

So I have tried to look more into the noise issues with my laptop and it seems I'm not the only one plagued with the really high pitched  and loud noise. I've seen reports where a single hair has been caught in the fans which has caused loud noise (which I doubt with my machine since it's only 10 days old). Some people with older Lenovo laptops have fixed the issue with the solution seen in this Youtube video (How to FIX noisy laptop fan! (Lenovo Yoga)): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-qQjkG5Lgs But this is not possible on the Yoga C740 for some unbelivably strange reason due to limited power options in the control panel. So a few notes first and then some further questions.

I have been monitoring my CPU temperatures and usage with Task Manager and a program called HWiNFO64 which is a commonly used and trusted program. Based on this the fans seem to usually turn on around 40C and when going above about 50C the fans seem to go to almost max speed which I doubt is how it's supposed to work. This does not happen always but sometimes the fans just go haywire. During my testing I've had HWinfo64, task manager and Google Chrome open with a stream running. My processor usage has been around 9% with these programs and random background programs open. Rarely peaking upto 13% and sometimes as low as 5%. I have tried all the different power options in the Lenovo Vantage software but seem to have no affect on performance and fan noise in everyday use (browsing, watching streams, MS word, etc.) Also I compared the fan noise my laptop makes to my old gaming laptop and this new Yoga has sometimes more audible fan noise on low load than the gaming laptop on high load! Also to give an idea about the fan noise: When watching a stream, I have my laptop and speakers about 40cm from me and I can hear the fans over the streams volume when my volume levels are "normal". (Yes this is a subjective comment about my speaker volume but I'd say it is around the average range. Could be higher or even lower and still be clearly audible.)

Also the fan seems to ramp up more often when the power cable is plugged in. On battery power the machine is more quiet and still has perfectly reasonable performance.

Then to the questions:

1. Does the fore mentioned behavior and noise level of the fans seem normal or should I take my unit to warranty service?

2. If I open the backplate of my laptop and try to check and clean the fans in case of any possible dust or dirt using compressed air, will it void it of warranty?

3. When going to the BIOS, it seems that all the settings there can be changed through Windows settings and the Lenovo Vantage program. Is there a BIOS version which would allow some actual tinkering with CPU voltages, fan speeds, etc?

4. On the Lenovo website this PC is listed with a Intel i5-10210U @1,6Ghz but when I look at my task manager or HWinfo64 it shows the base clock to be at 2,1Ghz which would mean that this computers CPU is set to a power limit of 25W instead of the stock 15W which is indicated by the marketing of this machine. Should this machine have a CPU tuned to the higher clock and TDP that Intel allows or maybe I'm missing something with this info?

5. Will this PC have more advanced power options in the future through a software update? I can't for example change CPU max power usage, fan speed, etc from these options to try and fix my fan noise issues that way. Other Lenovo laptops have had these options enabled like seen in the linked video.

Friendly regards,

VkTsU

Options

2 Posts

12-15-2019

US

1 Signins

24 Page Views

• Views: 24
  • Message 6 of 9

2019-12-15, 20:32 PM

There is a separate thread for the same issue on the 14" and 15" - so hopefully this ties things together!

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Yoga-Series-Notebooks/High-pitched-fan-noise-on-Yoga-C740-14/td-p/4592802
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Yoga-Series-Notebooks/Lenovo-Yoga-C740-15-quot-fan-noise/td-p/4588245

I've had the same issue with loud fan noise mainly when charging the first couple days of use, last week - but the issue is not present today (I will continue to monitor - hopefully it was already fixed) Now, the fan comes and goes while charging, and it's at a lower, acceptable, and steady RPM. 

In summary, when I encountered this issue, the fan kicked on and gradually increased in RPM until they were much louder than expected, I'm running an i7 10th-gen processor, but it seems like it would be solvable with a logic change - and it could also be possible that the system was undergoing many updates during the first few uses that this was expected behavior based on power requirements and battery thermal cycle control.

I will have to wait and see, but I am feeling a bit better about this today, because this is an excellent laptop design, and my last Lenovo Ideapad Z410 had been fantastic after almost 6 years without a battery change - hence my Yoga purchase.

Options

1 Posts

12-16-2019

DE

3 Signins

48 Page Views

• Views: 48
  • Message 7 of 9

2019-12-16, 15:46 PM

I also experienced a extraordinary loud and often fan noise with my c740 14" i7 16Gb 1tb. The fan starts even when there is only one task e.g. a webbrowser open. I installed all updates and made shure, that the setting in lenovo ventage and the bios is on quite mode. Nothing changed. It's quite annoying. Should i wait for an update oder should i send the notebook in?
or is this normal on all c740? then i would buy from another brand.

Update:

I installed new lenovo updates. Since then the notebook seems more silent but its still hearable and not as quite as discribed in some reviews. Especially when the charger is plugged in its noisy.

Options

1 Posts

12-31-2019

NL

2 Signins

27 Page Views

• Views: 27
  • Message 8 of 9

2019-12-31, 21:43 PM

Same problem here. I just unpacked Lenovo Yoga C740. I bought it mainly to stream 4K movies to my Philips 55PUS7502 tv which is HDR compliant. 

The laptop makes Terri let high pitch sound as if a model jet plane is powering up its jet engine. This is not acceptable. My 6 year old Lenovo Flex 15 on occasion needs it's processor cooling but it is hardly noticable.

I'll return my laptop first thing January 2nd. Second thing I do is call Lenovo Support.

I'm sure this fan noise is due to the slim sleek design. Slimmer lighter sleeker does have it downsize. 

Options

1 Posts

01-01-2020

BA

1 Signins

37 Page Views

• Views: 37
  • Message 9 of 9

2020-01-01, 9:46 AM

I ve the same problem.it is really annoying.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save