Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo Yoga Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

04-21-2021

Ukraine

5 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 1 of 10

Lenovo Yoga Slim 7 14ARE05 - Ctrl+Fn problem

2021-04-21, 19:54 PM

Hi all,

New Yoga 7 Slim, with all updated drivers and BIOS, behaves strangely when I press Left Ctrl+Fn combination in order to engage "Ctrl+PgUp/PgDn" combination which is very useful for me to switch tabs in Chrome or Excel.

So, my problem is that this Left Ctrl+Fn combinations triggers Cortana window(!!!) to appear, so that the expected Ctrl-PgUp/PgDn combination doesn't work (Chrome/Excel tabs do not switch).

Further experiments revealed that it only happens when I press Fn before Ctrl. When Ctrl is pressed first (or I manage to press them almost simultaneously), everything seems to be OK and the desired Ctrl+PgUp/PgDn combination produces expected results (Excel or Chrome tabs do switch).

I tried almost everything that may affect the issue (reinstalling drivers/Windows), switching on/off BIOS "smart Fn" option - all to no avail.

P.S. All Cortana's settings are set to "off" positions.

Options

2968 Posts

11-04-2019

United States of America

287 Signins

26137 Page Views

• Views: 26137
  • Message 2 of 10

Re:Lenovo Yoga Slim 7 14ARE05 - Ctrl+Fn problem

2021-04-21, 20:16 PM

Welcome to the Community Forums @ Vadim T!

Thanks for posting here!

Please restart your Yoga Slim 7 laptop first and see if it will work.

Try to use an external keyboard that does have an FN key and see if you'll be able to use the Page Up/Down feature when pressing CTRL + FN.

And test the right FN key if it's working as well.

Also, check your Yoga Slim 7 laptop's language bar as it could change or modify some of your keyboard shortcuts especially if you're using more than one language (input) on the device itself.

To do that, click on your language bar (located on the lower right side) and select language preferences > look for Related Settings then click on Additional date, time, and regional settings > under language section, click Change input methods and select select Advanced settings in the left sidebar (view) of it > select Options under Switching input methods > click Change language bar hotkeys and change the sequence of the missing hotkeys then test it again.

Let us know if this'll work.

Thanks,

Adriel_Lenovo

Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

4 Posts

04-21-2021

Ukraine

5 Signins

25 Page Views

• Message 3 of 10

2021-04-21, 20:27 PM

Thanks for your suggestions.

Restarting did not help.

Try to use an external keyboard that does have an FN key and see if you' be able to use the Page Up/Down feature when pressing CTRL + FN.

And test the right FN key if it' working as well.

External USB keyboard as well as right Ctrl both work perfectly. But it's not a solution as it is rather uncomfortable to press right Ctrl together with Fn on the left.

Also, check your Yoga Slim 7 laptop' language bar as it could change or modify some of your keyboard shortcuts especially if you' using more than one language (input) on the device itself.

To do that, click on your language bar (located on the lower right side) and select language preferences > look for Related Settings then click on Additional date, time, and regional settings > under language section, click Change input methods and select select Advanced settings in the left sidebar (view) of it > select Options under Switching input methods > click Change language bar hotkeys and change the sequence of the missing hotkeys then test it again.

Language bar checked but the shortcut for language switching is Alt+Shift so no luck here either...

Options

2968 Posts

11-04-2019

United States of America

287 Signins

26137 Page Views

• Message 4 of 10

2021-04-26, 15:59 PM

@ Vadim T wrote:

Thanks for your suggestions.

Restarting did not help.

Try to use an external keyboard that does have an FN key and see if you' be able to use the Page Up/Down feature when pressing CTRL + FN.

And test the right FN key if it' working as well.

External USB keyboard as well as right Ctrl both work perfectly. But it' not a solution as it is rather uncomfortable to press right Ctrl together with Fn on the left.

Also, check your Yoga Slim 7 laptop' language bar as it could change or modify some of your keyboard shortcuts especially if you' using more than one language (input) on the device itself.

Language bar checked but the shortcut for language switching is Alt+Shift so no luck here either...

Thanks for the update @ Vadim T!

Check for any available Windows OS update on your Yoga Slim 7 laptop and download/install it.

Also, go to Settings > Cortana > Permissions.

On that tab, try to set Cortana's settings itself and see if there's an option in there to disable Cortana when CTRL + FN is pressed.

Thanks,

Adriel_Lenovo

Lenovo Support

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

10 Posts

04-24-2021

United States of America

7 Signins

105 Page Views

• Views: 105
  • Message 5 of 10

2021-04-26, 17:17 PM

Did you try and scan for available hotkeys with a tool like -> http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/hot_keys_list.html  ?
If not easy to find normally then might be worthwhile to try and kill processes until you find the program intercepting them, or else remap with ahk

Options

4 Posts

04-21-2021

Ukraine

5 Signins

25 Page Views

• Message 6 of 10

2021-04-26, 19:48 PM

After a complete Windows reinstall the issue narrowed down to just not working Fn + Left Ctrl when pressed in that sequence.

I.e. when I press Fn in bits of a second earlier than Ctrl, subsequently pressing Up/Down in order to engage PgUp/PgDn doesn't work. In a browser it means that the tabs do not switch as expected.

If I press Ctrl carefully first, and only then Fn their combination with Up/Down works normally.

This is really strange and annoying! And I can not figure out if it's a software or a hardware problem...(

Options

2968 Posts

11-04-2019

United States of America

287 Signins

26137 Page Views

• Message 7 of 10

2021-04-26, 20:50 PM

@ Vadim T wrote:

After a complete Windows reinstall the issue narrowed down to just not working Fn + Left Ctrl when pressed in that sequence.

I.e. when I press Fn in bits of a second earlier than Ctrl, subsequently pressing Up/Down in order to engage PgUp/PgDn doesn' work. In a browser it means that the tabs do not switch as expected.

If I press Ctrl carefully first, and only then Fn their combination with Up/Down works normally.

This is really strange and annoying! And I can not figure out if it' a software or a hardware problem...(

Thanks for the update @ Vadim T!

It would be advisable to get in touch with the Lenovo phone/technical support in your region for further recommendations towards this concern since the issue still occurs even if a factory reset or reinstalling Windows OS has been made already and it works fine as well when using an external keyboard.

You may click this link to get the Lenovo phone/technical support's contact details.

Thanks,

Adriel_Lenovo

Lenovo Support

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

1 Posts

05-28-2021

Germany

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 8 of 10

2021-05-28, 17:04 PM

Hi, 

I have the exact same problem with the exact same laptop type, but a German keyboard.

Did you find any solution, that might also help me??

Thank you very much for any hints!

Options

4 Posts

04-21-2021

Ukraine

5 Signins

25 Page Views

• Message 9 of 10

2021-06-01, 18:20 PM

@ Eddsjkcjkhk wrote:

Hi, 

I have the exact same problem with the exact same laptop type, but a German keyboard.

Did you find any solution, that might also help me??

Thank you very much for any hints!

Hi,

Still no solution found. I called my local support team, and they told me that this is just how the keyboard works on this particular model, and the issue can not be solved Surely I was not satisfied with such an answer so I filed an escalation claim with them. Almost one month passed since then, still no answer :((

Options

2968 Posts

11-04-2019

United States of America

287 Signins

26137 Page Views

• Message 10 of 10

2021-06-11, 17:52 PM

@ Vadim T wrote:

Hi,

Still no solution found. I called my local support team, and they told me that this is just how the keyboard works on this particular model, and the issue can not be solved Surely I was not satisfied with such an answer so I filed an escalation claim with them. Almost one month passed since then, still no answer :((

Hello @ Vadim T!

Thanks for posting here at the Community Forums!

You may click on this link to get in touch with our Lenovo phone/technical support team to make a follow up about your ticket request and to get an update about it as well.

Provide them your ticket request number or your device's details so that they can check your records.

Thanks,

Adriel_Lenovo

Lenovo Support

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)