Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lenovotv
Token Ring
Views: 721
Message 31 of 50

Re: Lenovo c940 - Charging via USB-C?

I am not an electrician and I baby my laptops so I hestitate to try. If somebody knows what he/she is doing and are determined to try out for whatever reason, do at own risk. That is what the Dell chat agent agreed.

It seems that the DELL charger the reviewer mentioned is just slightly lighter than the stock 135W charger. So, I better use the stock charger. Maybe other users have other reasons to use the usb-c port for charging.

Just curious, will there be a problem using a higher watt Lenovo charger? Will it charge the laptop faster than the stock 135W charger without causing any possible danger? Alternatively, will using lower watt and lighter Lenovo charger be able to charge the machine (even slightly slower) if I turn off the dGPU and just do office productivity, web surfing, light youtube watching tasks?

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 686
Message 32 of 50

@lenovotv wrote:

I am not an electrician and I baby my laptops so I hestitate to try. If somebody knows what he/she is doing and are determined to try out for whatever reason, do at own risk. That is what the Dell chat agent agreed.

It seems that the DELL charger the reviewer mentioned is just slightly lighter than the stock 135W charger. So, I better use the stock charger. Maybe other users have other reasons to use the usb-c port for charging.

My point, and admonition, remains.
It is not reasonable to ask others to do that which you are unwilling to do. On the other hand... If you want to test potentially dangerous things, yourself, and then report the results back, you would be free to do so at your own risk.

Keep in mind that no matter what another OEM's "chat agent", or some random Youtube reviewer says, they will not pay for a repair on a Lenovo device.

Regards.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee

seeNineForty
Punch Card
Views: 668
Message 33 of 50

@liopage - I have the c940 14" and it works with the j5create powerdock (and charges) 

others report the c940 14" works with Dell's TB19 dock (i have one ordered)

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 651
Message 34 of 50

Moderator admonition:

It is inappropriate for any member to recommend, or ask, that other members try/test things that are potentially dangerous and/or might endanger other members' Lenovo device warranties. Any more posts that stray into this territory, or that are off-topic, will be removed and the offending member will put their posting privileges at risk. Fair warning.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee

lenovotv
Token Ring
Views: 633
Message 35 of 50

Sorry about that. I will just use the stock charger.

seeNineForty
Punch Card
Views: 620
Message 36 of 50

If your admonition is directed at me, it seems misguided.

>>> If you want to test potentially dangerous things, yourself,
>>> and then report the results back, you would be free
>>> to do so at your own risk.

@liopage seemed to be asking if anyone has used another, commercially available dock. These other docks nominally comply with a published standard for power delivery (PD, USB-C, Thunderbolt, etc..)

I have used other docks, and found them to be working. So I responded with this for lenovotv's sake.

Others have used and reported - in other threads here - that other docks are working with the c940 14"

So what is the problem with that? <edit> Seemed to be following exactly your instructions.

It should not be a warranty violation to use a standards-compliant power source.

Now, if people were suggesting to crack open hardware and replace a current limiting device or even suggest firmware/bios tricks to 'operate outside the design specs' of something that would be different.

But you're basically saying people can *only* discuss lenovo equipment here?

Or, similarly, that we can't discuss what smaller power bricks might still work over USB-C?

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 612
Message 37 of 50

@seeNineForty wrote:

If your admonition is directed at me, it seems misguided.

I don't read it as being directed towards yourself. Someone suggesting others might attempt something which they themselves are not prepared to attempt because they admittedly sense some potential danger / damage is Not something we can condone in this Community. Taking a subject off-topic is also not something which is condoned.

Andy

English Community Leader
Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points 
Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star below their post awarding them Kudos

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 602
Message 38 of 50

All,

Just a drive-by observation:  you are talking about two different machines, the -14 and the -15.  The -14 is specified to charge via USB-C.  The -15 is not.

Dell "cheats" on the 100W USB-C max in the spec with a charger intended to  be used with their laptops - which also "cheat". That's on them, and IMNSHO should be left with Delll kit and not forced on machines not intended to operate that way.

Generally, using a higher wattage Lenovo slim-tip charger is not a problem.  The laptop only draws what it needs.  Using a lower-wattage charger can be problematic.  It may or may not charge, may cycle on-and-off with over-temp or over-current conditions.

Trying to charge the -15 via USB-C - even if it will take a charge in some states - is outside its specified use and not a good idea.  Asking others to try is beyond the pale.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

liopag2
Punch Card
Views: 593
Message 39 of 50

Tbh, we wouldn't even be in this issue if Lenovo just made their laptops actually quick charge without the lid having to be closed, or if they at least shipped out better higher watt chargers in the first place. 

And fyi, I was asking for the direct 130 watt charger from the Dell XPS 15 and not an actual dock for my 14 c940, since I already have the adapters I need. 

SungwooPark
Paper Tape
Views: 575
Message 40 of 50

My laptop is C940 14" FHD 12G ram version.

I failed to charge it through USB C with a docking in a Benq monitor (pd2710qc).

The monitor docking outputs 61W only and this may be the reason that this laptop is not charged with it.

This is so sad because I want to make my desk neat.

Hope this will be changed by some kind of driver update.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors