Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Maximka18
Paper Tape
Views: 1,349
Message 1 of 25

Lenovo yoga 730-15IKB - clean Windows 7 install

Hello, I've just bought a new Lenovo yoga 730 15 with Intel Core i7 8550U and want to clean install Windows 7. Just can't get id done. I've loaded Win 7 to usb drive, it boots up, but won't see the drive because the "nvme driver cannot be found". Well, i cant find that driver anywhere either. Any solutions?

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,342
Message 2 of 25

Re: Lenovo yoga 730-15IKB - clean Windows 7 install

I think that this document linked below will help you resolve your problem.    It requires quite a few steps to update/patch your installation files, but it should work.

How to install Windows 7 on a PCI Express (NVMe) SSD

https://winaero.com/blog/how-to-install-windows-7-on-a-pci-express-nvme-ssd/

Cheers,

Maximka18
Paper Tape
Views: 1,315
Message 3 of 25

Well, i havent tried this method yet. But, maybe there is another way?

Maximka18
Paper Tape
Views: 1,281
Message 4 of 25

ok i've tried this one. no luck. still searching for the solution.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,268
Message 5 of 25

What's "no luck"?  Still can't see the target drive?

The 730 may default to running in RAID mode.  Perhaps Win 7 can't handle that.  You might try setting the SATA mode to AHCI (if available).  You'll still need to use the modified media that has the NVMe driver added.  Just a WAG, but worth a try.  '7 isn't supported on the 730 so drivers may be a problem even if you can get it installed.

The below is from the BIOS simulator for the 720.  It's a close as I can come.

Z.

Yoga 720 SATA Mode.PNG

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Maximka18
Paper Tape
Views: 1,245
Message 6 of 25

So i was able to install windows 7 on my yoga 730. The result is unfortunate - there's not enough drivers to use full potential of the notebook. Defineteley not worth the effort to install Windows 7 on a brand new laptop. Drivers that dosent work:

Graphics - intel graphics, 1050 gtx;

Processor - intel i7 not fully supported;

Touch - lenovo pen, touchscreen, touchpad.

If you not convinced not to install that Windows 7, short guide:

1. Download official windows 7 iso;

2. Integrate nvme and usb 3.0 support. Easiest way, thay i found - tool from msi;

3. Make bootanle usb stick - again, simplest way - msi tool;

4. Enable achi in Bios, enable legacy support, disable secure boot, change boot priority to usb;

5. Install windows 7 (you need to delete all partitions during the install, to make mbr partition);

6 launch windows and install drivers.

Thats it.

JLPeel
Paper Tape
Views: 658
Message 7 of 25

Thanks for your instructions.  I was able to install the intel graphics drivers by adding the proper device id to the installer inf file.  From there, I downloaded the Nvidia drivers and they installed as well.  Still missing some drivers, trackpad, etc but a step in the right direction for anyone else that wants to try.  See this link for more info on what to do for the driver.  Instead of the download link in the post, I changed the Lenovo driver and it worked great!

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/Windows-7-VGA-drivers-Probook-450-G4/...

joom
Paper Tape
Views: 570
Message 8 of 25

Thanks for the addional info.  Can you list all the drivers that you were'nt able to install?  I only need to use win 7 for some work stuff, so all the touch stuff isn't important.  Were you able to get things like sound, bluetooth, network, etc.. working in win 7?  Just wanted to see if there's anything critical that doesn't work in 7, before I give it a shot.  Thanks!

JLPeel
Paper Tape
Views: 561
Message 9 of 25

Same here.  I'm running a program from 2004 to program an AV controller...  It doesn't work on win10

Keyboard and backlighting work, Sound, USB C to ethernet adapter, USB 3, intel and Nvidea graphics all work..    I swapped the intel wifi/bluetooth card for a Dell DW1560 that is more Hackintosh friendly and both wifi and bluetooth work after hunting down the appropriate drivers.  The one program that I really need Win7 for works fine so I'm happy

Trackpad is I2C and while I found drivers that let Win7 kind of recognize the I2C bus, the trackpad drivers won't load. fingerprint reader is USB but it won't work either. Haven't tried too hard with that though.  Lastly, the intel dynamic platform and thermal framework driver is win10 only.  I haven't tried to modify the inf files like you can with the intel graphics but that might work.

I had a convoluted install process to get a usb installer recognized as EFI.  Tried a few different methods but ended up making an ISO from my install DVD then using RUFUS and selecting EFI in the options worked.  Drive is formatted GPT not MBR so installer won't work unless your bios sees and lists the usb installer as EFI

Lastly, when you first install, you'll have a massive round of updates.  No problems with that.  The next round of updates will install a nag telling you that you are running win7 on unsupported hardware.  Don't install the second round of KB......  updates or google this to find out which ones in particular to avoid.  Not a big deal to disable after the fact.

Attached is a shot of my device manager showing what doesn't work.

Good luck

joom
Paper Tape
Views: 493
Message 10 of 25

thanks for the detailed response, you're awesome!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors