US

2 Signins

40 Page Views

• Views: 40
  • Message 1 of 4

Lenovo yoga 920 screen issues

2019-03-18, 17:33 PM

Hi,

I have a lenovo yoga 920 and recently I've been getting a weird screen issue where the screen turns static and pixelates completely. When this happen I can't do anything but restarting the PC fixes the issue temporarily. However, after a while the same issue happens again...sometimes it occurs within 30 mins or maybe an hour or day. Any idea what the issue may be? I've had this laptop for about a year  and have taken good care of it, so I am unsure of why this is ocurring. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks. 

Options

1781 Posts

12-13-2016

US

4509 Signins

43351 Page Views

• Views: 43351
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: Lenovo yoga 920 screen issues

2019-03-18, 20:07 PM

That could be a lot of things. Use the NOVO button to launch into the BIOS settings. Leave it there and see if it happens. If not, it's either Windows or a driver issue. Are you on 1809, perhaps?

Start with testing it in the BIOS screens. 

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
Options

2 Posts

03-18-2019

US

2 Signins

40 Page Views

• Views: 40
  • Message 3 of 4

2019-03-20, 3:23 AM

Hi, I tried your suggestion and left it for about 2 hours and the issue did not occur... Yesterday it kept bugging out within the hour, today it bugged out after long hours of use. Though I also noticed that the two times that it bugged out today happened while I was carrying the laptop while open  so maybe it could be an issue with the display connection? But then yesterday I had it sitting on the desk and it just bugged out. Also, I tried connecting the laptop to an external monitor while the issue was happening but the monitor said there was no signal coming from the HDMI... so now I'm unsure again. Called support today and they had me update my display driver , told me to contact them if the issue persists and with my luck, the screen immediately went bad the moment I hung up from support and got up :smileysad: Also, yes I am on 1809, do you think 1809 may be causing an issue?

Options

1781 Posts

12-13-2016

US

4509 Signins

43351 Page Views

• Views: 43351
  • Message 4 of 4

2019-03-20, 13:03 PM

1809 is blocked from installation on many computers, including some Lenovo laptops, such as the 910 and 920. Your computer shouldn't have taken that update by itself. An Intel driver activates some unsupported Windows features. When 1809 installs, it's not looking for that and wrecks things.  What's weird is that the issue presents in a myriad of ways. Some users have audio issues. Some have bluescreens. Some have unusual display behavior ranging from menus that won't disappear ..to yours.

Since it doesn't happen when you launch into BIOS settings (even when carrying it around open?) then it's Windows. Since you have 1809 installed, it's not surprising. If you can roll back to 1803 or you can restore from a backup you made prior to 1809, try that. If you can't, the best bet is to back up your data, then reset the machine to factory condition.  When you restart, It should stop updating once it hits 1803.  There is a workaround for fixing the Intel driver before upgrading to 1809, but this close to the next major Windows update, it's easier to just wait.  I have two machines on 1803 and I'm leaving them there. (I also ran a backup and a new system image, just in case).

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save