Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chalky
Punch Card
Views: 216
Message 1 of 8

Looking for proper cables to clone ssd in my Yoga 920

Not sure what proper cable would be for cloning from current 256 ssd to Samsung 1TB as recommended by Lenovo.

Anyone had any experience with this?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 213
Message 2 of 8

Re: Looking for proper cables to clone ssd in my Yoga 920

What software are you using to clone the drive?  Typically, one backs up the software to some place.  Then, one installs the new SSD and restores.  If you were using SATA SSDs, there are housings for directly cloning the drive,, but you have an NVMe drive and external housings are hard to find.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Chalky
Punch Card
Views: 195
Message 3 of 8

Samsung has various cables and also provides software I understand.  Cables are available online.  Just not sure which cable and interfaces I would need.   My goal is to replace 256 GB ssd with Lenovo recommended Samsung 1TB ssd..

• Type
    SSD
  • SSD Form Factor
    M.2
  • Capacity
    256 GB
  • Hard Drive Features
    NVM Express (NVMe)
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 170
Message 4 of 8

There are a few NVMe PCIe M.2 enclosures showing up. Haven't tried any as I don't store much data ON my 920 and the OS and programs/appps alone don't eat up even a third of the 250 it came with. I'm a firm believer in having necessary data anywhere BUT the primary drive and in multiple places when possible. Much less panic if/when a computer suddenly refuses to boot up. 

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 135
Message 5 of 8

@Doctordon wrote:

There are a few NVMe PCIe M.2 enclosures showing up. Haven't tried any...

Interesting.  Thanks for the link.

I've been evaluating one from a different vendor.  Looks good so far, but only tested on a drive from a ThinkPad X280.

To anyone shopping for one of these things: read the specs and reviews carefully.  The early versions had sector-size restrictions that requried reformatting a drive before it could be used, since the sector size was different than what Windows would set up.

Made it useful as an external drive (starting from blank), but not usable for cloning or data recovery.

FWIW,

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Chalky
Punch Card
Views: 66
Message 6 of 8

FWIW, enclosure works fine.. Made cloning easy

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 63
Message 7 of 8

@Chalky wrote:

FWIW, enclosure works fine.. Made cloning easy

The one linked?

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Chalky
Punch Card
Views: 61
Message 8 of 8

Yes.  Bought at Amazon..

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors