Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Yogi900
Blue Screen Again
Views: 6,550
Message 1 of 14

Loud fan noise in Yoga 900

Hi! I purchased Yoga 900 (part number 90UE002VUS) - 16GB Memory with 512 GB SSD. I hear the fan running loud and continuously even after closing all the applications. Is this normal? I thought SSD's are supposed to be ultra quiet, but this unit has an i7 processor, so maybe it's the processor that's forcing the fan to stay on. However the only application that I've set to run in the background is Sophos Anti-Virus. But even with that app turned off, I hear the fan come on very frequently and stay on with a loud noise for extended periods of time.

I wonder whether I have a defective unit and need to get it replaced. If others have experienced this problem and found a solution, I'd appreciate your advice.

Thanks

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 6,481
Message 2 of 14

Re: Loud fan noise in Yoga 900

Hello and welcome,

Have you taken a look via task manager to see if something unexpected is loading the CPU?

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Yogi900
Blue Screen Again
Views: 6,472
Message 3 of 14

Z,

Yes, I've looked in the task manager. No major processes running. CPU load is also very low. Yet fan keeps running loud. Every now and then, it slows down for a few seconds and then runs at higher speed.

Thanks

Guru
Views: 6,453
Message 4 of 14

It could be possibly updating. My unit kicks the fan on once I turn it on, to update my OneDrive files, or sometimes Windows. After that, the fan will turn off. If it runs constantly, the temperature sensor could be defective.

Regards,
Eric Xu

I'm a Lenovo forums advocate and brand advocate (Lenovo INsider). I'm a volunteer; I don't work for Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Motorola   •IdeaPad   •ThinkPad   •Gaming   •ThinkCentre   •IdeaCentre   •Think Tablets   •Lenovo Tablets

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

tcaffrey
Blue Screen Again
Views: 6,384
Message 5 of 14

Just purchased - I too have this noise - it is very annonying!

Going back unless I fix it fast

tcaffrey
Blue Screen Again
Views: 6,385
Message 6 of 14

Ditto on fan noise - very annoying 

Yogi900
Blue Screen Again
Views: 6,382
Message 7 of 14

Glad to hear I'm not the only one having this problem. Lenovo tech support was not able to find a solution to this problem when I called. The agent suggested I return the unit and try a replacement. So I'll be returning this unit.

Cruzin90
Punch Card
Views: 6,369
Message 8 of 14

My fans are virtually silent. 

tcaffrey
Blue Screen Again
Views: 6,354
Message 9 of 14

Is you computer turned on?
Glad it's silent for you, how does that help us with our issue?
Cruzin90
Punch Card
Views: 6,352
Message 10 of 14

Well, it confirms that what you are experiencing is most likely not normal.

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors