Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
winterwolfes
Paper Tape
Views: 376
Message 1 of 5

My Experience with Yoga 920 and Lenovo Support

I bought my wife a brand new Yoga 920 for Christmas in December 2017 for 1,299 dollars plus tax.  It was blazing fast. Set up was so smooth. The computer operated flawlessly. Best computer we have purchased in years.

Only 4 months later, April 19th, when we tried to wake the computer up, it would not start. They keyboard backlights and power button would just flash. That was it. The screen stayed dark and nothing would happen. I called Lenovo support and they had me run through some basic troubleshooting and eventually told me the laptop had a hardware failure and I would have to send it back to them OR I could just bring it to a local Best Buy for repair. Since Best Buy was only 5 miles from my house, I brought it there. Only to be told by Best Buy that they don't repair them and they had to ship it to Lenovo anyway. 

It took a month to get it back. So for a month we were without the computer. Then when we got it back, it was filthy. Scratched up, covered in greese and dirt. When I opened it up, there were hairs and food crumbs on the keyboard. The touch screen was covered in greesey finger prints that looked like they were just rubbed across the whole screen. It was disgusting. See pictures of the laptop below. 

Furthermore, when we booted it up, it was slow. I mean SLOW. All our of documents were gone and the drive was wiped. We lost everything that was not backed up yet - including my 2017 taxes. We followed the prompts to login to our microsoft account and let it run all the updates. After a while, the computer reboooted and now it is just stuck at the sign in screen. We cannot sign in to the account. We also cannot boot it up into safe mode. Nothing happens. It is dead again. 

So what did I get for my $1,299 dollars? A laptop that was pretty amazing for 4 months and is now nothing but a dirty, expensive paper weight. I cannot contact customer support because they are closed on weekends. But how much you want to bet, they tell me to send it back to them again and I will be without it for another month? 

Bottomline, if you do not mind spending 1,299 dollars plus tax on a computer that might only work great for 4 months and you have the luxury of being able to no need it for a month while its in repair then go for it. Also, if you don't mind customer service that has no issue with trashing your $1,299 laptop and sending it back to you filthy, then go for it. Might be the worst customer service experience I ever had.marks.jpgmarks 2.jpgmarks 3.jpgmarks 4.jpgmarks 5.jpg

pennswoodsed
Paper Tape
Views: 305
Message 2 of 5

Re: My Experience with Yoga 920 and Lenovo Support

I would be furious,and would take it much much further .
Regards,Ed
ps Letters,(snail mail) are legal documents and Will be answered !
winterwolfes
Paper Tape
Views: 281
Message 3 of 5

They did not even respond at all to my emails. I was considering sending a letter, but realized that I do not think anyone there would care. So I chose not to frustrate myself any longer. For years everyone in my house owned motorola phones. Guess what? Not anymore. They have all been replaced. I will never buy another Lenovo product again. That is the only real power I have here. They lost a customer who was regularly spending over 1000 dollars every 2 years on new phones. The experience with this laptop opened my eyes. There are better companies that make higher quality products. Why would I waste any more time on this one?

any2xml
Paper Tape
Views: 266
Message 4 of 5

That's disgusting! You should complain to Lenovo. Go to the top and share your experience. Also, if you bought the laptop using visa, you may have warranty recourse. Check with your credit card company.

Clevor
Punch Card
Views: 259
Message 5 of 5

Paper Tape, do you know for sure if the laptop was sent to Lenovo??? If BestBuy sent it back, could be they sent it to a 3rd party repair vendor. Which sounds like it. I would be surprised if any laptop manufacturer has that kind of unacceptable repair service.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors