Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RifThunder
Paper Tape
Views: 313
Message 1 of 4

Need Help on Yoga 700 Fast Battery Drain and Battery Wear Level

I am a Yoga 700-14ISK user for 2 years. And I had encounter serveral issues with this laptop before (and the service center helped me to fix them) However, now there is an issue I just have now - my battery is draining fast like 1% lost per 2-3 min for light usage (browsing on Chrome or doing my schoolwork either on Microsoft Office or Google Drive) I suspected it was due to my battery wear level. However, as I monitored it, I realised it keep fluctuating (from 19.64% to 42.02%) until I re-calibrate which gives me 38.51% and then 38.71% after a charge to 60%. Is it possible the battery wear level can cause the quick drain in battery? 

Is this battery wear level normal? I would also like to point out that I had the battery changed over a year ago and I normally used my laptop for schoolwork and gaming (occasionally now after realising the issue.) I am also going to have an internship (at least 6 months) from July so I am very worried that my laptop can't last long especially its battery. Hence, should I go to a Lenovo service center and request for a battery replacement?

Please give me any possible reasons on why the laptop battery starts to drain fast and its battery wear level sharp increase, and also possible solutions for these issues. I would like to know more about it in order to sustain my laptop at least for a year. Smiley Happy

LelouchV
802.11n
Views: 284
Message 2 of 4

Re: Need Help on Yoga 700 Fast Battery Drain and Battery Wear Level

Battery drain could be due to lots of things. I'd go to the battery icon in the taskbar, right click, and go to power options. From there, go to your power plan and click change advanced power settings. Look at all the battery related settings - though you may not have changed them yourself there are applications which may try to change such things.

Check out what your doing on your computer. Are there multiple programs running at once (whether in the background or not)? Do you have backlit keys (they take up A LOT of battery life)? Consider turning screen brightness down a pinch - You don't have to go very low, a huge part of the power consumption from the screen can be eliminated by turning it down slightly, going all the way down usually wont help that much more. This is because it takes more power to give the screen that "extra" brightness that makes it nice and bright than it does to simply keep the screen lit on lower brightness settings.

Next, is go to task manager. Check out all the running programs and services - if not familiar with looking at services then I don't recommend messing around with it. However, if you feel comfortable enough, take a look - somethings may be wasting away in the background - forcing your computer to draw more power to keep these services running. (Though unlikely still possible).

Lastly - your battery may just be old. You said you replaced it, but depending on where you got the replacement battery from it could just not be as good as the original one from the factory. Cheaper batteries tend to die out quicker and encounter problems. Personally, I never take my laptop anywhere without the charger - you should make it a habit ! 

RifThunder
Paper Tape
Views: 267
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for the reply, LelouchV!

Even though I had already done most of the tips you have mentioned before, I still aprreciated the time that you had put in to reply to my question. I have been using 0 - 25% brightness and it is indeed much more battery-saving than 50% - 100%. But since this battery is decreasing faster than usual, I guess I will switch back to 0%. Thanks for pointing out that the backlit keys took a lot of battery life. I honestly didn't knew that and always thought it was a small threat to battery life. After noticing this tip, I will prevent using it from now on unless I really need it like in dark rooms. 

I have checked the advanced power settings that you have mentioned, and I just realised my settings for "Sleep After" and "Turn Display Off After" were Never. I guess that is where some of power was wasted when I just leave my laptop without closing it. About the background programs, I checked that there are 100+ non-Windows background processes. I will definitely take a good look through these processes when I have some free time and try to disable some of them especially those from apps I don't really use. I will agree that it is possible that background processes/services are forcing the laptop to draw more power since power is required to run these processes.

Lastly, yes, maybe the battery is old. It has been one and a half years since it was replaced. And the repair was done by an external company that was associated with Lenovo in my country. So, your guess of a cheaper replacement battery might be right. Well at least, this battery last longer than the original one from the factory(it only lasted for at least 6 months). .-. But this time, if I am planning to get a battery replacement, I will be having it done in a Lenovo Service Center since it will be more reliable than external repairers. I also always bring my charger around in my bag along with my laptop to school since I always have to spend around 7 hours using my laptop and I am studying in an IT course, However, do you thinking charging it frequently especially discharging at 100% will strain the battery?

Nevertheless, I am very thankful for your reply. It really helps me a lot! Smiley Happy

LelouchV
802.11n
Views: 223
Message 4 of 4

Sorry for replying back after 2 months! Glad I helped. And yes, keeping the battery charged at 100% 24/7 will lower battery life. It's usually recommended to unplug and let it drain to about halfway before charging it again. However, a lot of laptops these days comes with a feature where it stops charging when it reaches 100% in order to lightly preserve the battery. My laptop has a feature where it'll only charge to 60% to extend battery life to the max.

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors