Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
soltanreza
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,350
Message 1 of 8

New Li-Polymer Battery

Hi guys,

I have just bought a Lenovo yoga 710 14" and I have issue with treating it for the first time. From where I bought it, I was told (two different things) to let it charge to 8 hours (another one said 4 hours) before I use it for the first time and then after that I am good to go.

But I tried to find info here and other places but the amount of information is huge and non-reliable and every body has an opinion.

The computer is sining on the couch for two days now, because I am too afraid to do anything with it, because of bad experiences I have had with batteries.

I'd like to know:

1. How many hours do I need to charge it for the first time before turning the machine on.

2. After turning it on for the first time, do I need to discharge and recharge it for a couple of times to let the battery knows its maximum and minimum capacity?

3. Is it for the best if I let the battery discharge level reaches 10% before charging it again? (with mobile phone, I heard it is better to charge them often withought letting them reach 100% charging level, and not letting them discharge that much neither).

4. Do I have to unplug the machine when it is 100% charged?

To add a small info, I care a little about how much the battery runs on a single charge, I am mostly concerened about how to extend the lifespan of the battery.

I appreciate a lot if anybody has authentic info regarding this.

Highlighted
SeniorGuru
Views: 1,342
Message 2 of 8

Re: New Li-Polymer Battery

Don't worry. Be happy.

A lot of information about batteries is based on the days of NiMH and even Ni-Cad batteries. It doesn't apply to Li-Ion and Li-Poly batteries nor to new smarter charging circuitry and firmware.

1. Just plug it in and start playing.

2. No. That's a legacy from older battery technologies. 

3. No. That's a legacy from older battery technologies. 

4. No. Lenovo has an app called Lenovo Settings. Start it and click on the Battery (Power) icon on the left toolbar. Scroll down to Conservation Mode and set it. This will help extend the life of your battery.

See also: Debunking Battery Life Myths for Mobile Phones, Tablets, and Laptops

Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,330
Message 3 of 8

Thanks a lot Smiley Happy

Can't be happty that much, since my last Lenovo's battery died and I ordered a new one, and that one only kept one hour of charge -_-

What if I let it charge for hours before using it for the first time, does it damage?

SeniorGuru
Views: 1,327
Message 4 of 8

@soltanreza wrote:

What if I let it charge for hours before using it for the first time, does it damage?

It won't do any damage. The charging circuitry won't let the battery get damaged from overcharging no matter how long you leave it on the charger. If you don't use the system then the battery will just charge a bit faster than if you start using the system right away.

Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,325
Message 5 of 8

The guy at the shop said I need to set up a configuration in battery setting in order to disconnect the power to the battery when it is fully charged (it is not set up by default). Is that true?
SeniorGuru
Views: 1,312
Message 6 of 8

@soltanreza wrote:
The guy at the shop said I need to set up a configuration in battery setting in order to disconnect the power to the battery when it is fully charged (it is not set up by default). Is that true?

Another legacy of older technology.

You have two conflicting options depending on what's more important to you:

1. If you want to maximize system usage when on battery power then you need to recharge the battery to 100%. The built-in  charging circuitry will ensure that the battery doesn't get overcharged once it reaches 100%.

2. If you want to maximize the useful life of the battery then it's best to keep it between 50% and 60% of full charge when on AC power. That's what Lenovo Settings, Conservation Mode does.

Paper Tape
Views: 241
Message 7 of 8

Is it possble to apply the conservation mode to polymer batteries as well. I have a thinkpad with a polymer batery and here in Poland tech support told me that it is only better to use with li on batteries, however, lenovo still enables conservation mde to my laptop. I used that mode before with li ojn battery and it heloped me to save lots of battery life span 

would be great if you coukd answer me here ot at **********@gmail.com

Moderator note: email address removed to keep from the spambots.  Answers belong here in the forum so that others may benefit as well.

SeniorGuru
Views: 190
Message 8 of 8

As far as I know polymer batteries are based on Li-Ion technology, so they should benefit from conservation mode too. All of my ThinkPads use polymer batteries and they have all been using conservation mode, in some cases for several years. I've seen no indications of premature wear with any of these batteries. Hope that helps.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors