Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo Yoga Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

15 Posts

12-31-2013

Canada

13 Signins

103 Page Views

• Views: 103
  • Message 41 of 109

Re: New Yoga 2 Pro - Impossible to turn screen on, please help-solved

2014-01-01, 22:21 PM

ok - fixed it.  Used win8.1 menus to go thru multi boots to turn off SECURE BOOT in bios    Note - reg methods to do this did not work.  Installed Comodo using Customied opton to prevent GEEK BUDDY & DRAGON from install.  Works fine now.   I would blame this screwup more on Comodo than MS or Lenovo.....but a tough call

Options

93 Posts

12-31-2013

Sweden

280 Signins

1736 Page Views

• Views: 1736
  • Message 42 of 109

2014-01-02, 1:42 AM
Fantastic job! Do you see any possibility to recover the system via the bios (without a system restore)? I'm half way around the world from hone/office and my backups and my Y2P is in a Comodo induced coma. Have meetings next week and need my fikes and a working laptop!
Options

15 Posts

12-31-2013

Canada

13 Signins

103 Page Views

• Message 43 of 109

2014-01-03, 14:53 PM

Well - not sure (YET).  I do know that if you can get to the WIN 8 Restore screen (more below) you have 3 choices:

1) Restore back to Factory image

2) Restore to Factory image AND keep your personal files (likely MyDocs tree) - all APPs you installed are gone, but persnalizations remain

3) Restore to last good snapshot (restore point) IFF you made one using Win8 tools.

Trick is - you need to remove GeekBuddy and/or Comodo Dragon browser somehow....so you either have to get 1 SafeMode boot (somehow) and Un-Install those apps.....or use option 2 above......assuming option 3 is not avail due to lack of manual restore point file.

Either way - unless you can either pull the battery connector off (means removing the back - which is dead simple and almost zero risk - ping me if you want step-by-step tricks) OR maybe turning it ON and leaving it until the battery dies will work (no idea if it disconnects at low volts to prevent damage....but still keeps coma inducing RAM alive).  I am working on the Work Flow steps for Acronis True Image cloning and restoring from outbboard images or clones today - so will do a few tests for you and write them up to let you know step-by-step how to get to option 2 above.  Will post in a few hours.

Options

15 Posts

12-14-2013

London

17 Signins

164 Page Views

• Views: 164
  • Message 44 of 109

2014-01-03, 15:06 PM
You are an absolute legend.
Options

93 Posts

12-31-2013

Sweden

280 Signins

1736 Page Views

• Message 45 of 109

2014-01-03, 15:36 PM
Letting the battery go completely flat does not help. My machine did miraculously spring back into life last week and I suspect (more like hope) this was due to a period of being off. Anyway, my plan is to leave the machine off now for at least 48hrs to see if this results in a boot (however will use the Lenovo button this time). Failing this I plan to disconnect the battery.
If the system restore will allow me to return to last good settings then I am slightly optimistic.
I will post the outcome in a few days.
Options

15 Posts

12-31-2013

Canada

13 Signins

103 Page Views

• Message 46 of 109

Re: New Yoga 2 Pro - Impossible to turn screen on, please help-solved-process

2014-01-03, 17:23 PM

OK - not sure this will work for you - but best I can come up with now.

Win8.1 has some pretty neat screens for this stuff - but if you cannot get to them due to Comodo Coma situation -- I will not waste your time with them unless you send me a request to show them 

Using the NOVO buttton beside the power button - try pushing it from OFF with the Fn+F8 ...or Fn+F12 keys held down.  I forget which worked for me - but I got to a DOS like screen that allowed me to choose to modify the BIOS.....but this was ONLY after I pulled the battery connector.....you may succeed if you drain the battery.....not sure.

Once I got to BIOS screen -- I was able to DISABLE the SECURE BOOT.  I tried re-start then but go the Coma

syndrome again - so had to pop the batttery connector again.   I could also change the UEFI bios laoder to LEGACY OS SUPPORT - but then it would not boot to the internal HDD - only to bootable USB drives.....so it you have one of those and can get an OS to run on it - you could maybe navigate to the folders you want to save and pull them off to an outboard devise on the other  USB port? Have not tried this - NTFS may try to stop you re not having an account.

I built a bootable 4 Gb FAT32 USB using Acronis True Image 2014 (admittedly on this system) and it works very well when I boot to it - launches Acronis True Image and allow you to perform a whole disk clone, partitions copy, or just File Backups....to a different USB attached device.  This is a very solid tool and worth owning.  If you can build a bootable USB on a different PC - this may be your secret sauce.....to save your working files.....after you use the NOVO boot button to do a RESTORE.....assuming that at that level of OS crudeness you do not have choices like "Restore but keep my files" like you do with the Win8 level Restore funciton.

Good luck.   I am on vaction and building a machine over next few days - so ping me via if you need more.

Options

15 Posts

12-31-2013

Canada

13 Signins

103 Page Views

• Message 47 of 109

2014-01-03, 17:28 PM

Oh yeah - almost forgot - you could also try to kill off GEEK BUDDY install - but doubt it will work at correct level of OS insertion.  The lenovo RESTORE functions are sort of good this way because the remove all your APPS - forcing a re-install.....likely for licensing reasons.....but the "good" side of this is that it wipes out GEEK BUDDY and Dragon browser

Once I got system back - I am able to use "just Comodo FW and AV" - no issues.

Options

93 Posts

12-31-2013

Sweden

280 Signins

1736 Page Views

• Message 48 of 109

2014-01-04, 17:41 PM

ALTERNATIVE SOLUTION NOT REQUIRING DISCONNECTION OF POWER SUPPLY

After some days of distress I now have a 100% working PC with Comodo up and running and without having to remove the battery. Here is a summary of the procedure I used:

1) Leave computer off for >36hrs (this was the time I used – I’m also on vacation which helped)  

2) Press the Novo button  

3) OPTION 1 – System recovery (hard disk will be returned to factory settings – all files will be erased)

This was not an option for me as I needed to recover my system, so here is how I got my machine 100% up and running again (OPTION 2):

4) Enter the BIOS

a. Security – Secure Boot : DISABLED     

b. Boot – Lenovo Fast Boot : DISABLED

5) Save and restart  

6) Press SHIFT + Fn + F8     

This must be pressed frantically as soon as possible or you will be waiting another 1-2 days!
      I was lucky and got it the first go, however I have been informed this operation on Win 8 is very tricky (only a fraction of a seconds window due to the fast boot).
  7) If you have a recent system restore point you can go back to this.
      This useful feature is buried in advanced repair options – troubleshoot – advanced options – system restore.

Alternatively, enter windows safe mode and use the registry editor to remove all keys with the name COMODO.

(note: I had to do both steps)

I have been thinking of ditching COMODO however I have read that the majority of virus/firewall software on the market is not 100% compatible with Windows 8. Maybe this is a case of better the devil you know…

Thanks for the great input from everyone on this problem.

Options

15 Posts

12-14-2013

London

17 Signins

164 Page Views

• Views: 164
  • Message 49 of 109

2014-01-04, 18:10 PM
Wow. That's excellent. Thanks for sharing. I wish I'd waited and played around with mine a little more instead of sending it back, now...
Options

27 Posts

12-14-2013

United States

24 Signins

419 Page Views

• Views: 419
  • Message 50 of 109

2014-01-05, 2:57 AM

Excellent that you guys found a solution. I tried to drain the battery on my 1st one but I guess I didn't wait long enough, 15 hrs instead of 36 hrs.

My old one might've had a better screen so I'm kind of upset about getting a new one. I might even try and RMA this one for a new screen just because it's bugging me so much.

Plus, I might sell it so I don't want the buyer complaining to me about backlight bleeding and returning it.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms