Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lando786
Fanfold Paper
Views: 621
Message 1 of 10

New Yoga C930 dropping wifi

New YOGA C93013IKB with Bios 8GCN30WW. I have evertyhing up to date, but my wifi connection seems to randomly drop for about 10 seconds every now and then. Looking at the event viewer logs through my device manager I see an error message at the time of the wifi drops.

Here is the event message I can see in the device manager

Device PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2526&SUBSYS_00148086&REV_29\4&11c95301&0&00E4 had a problem starting.

Driver Name: oem46.inf
Class Guid: {4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Service: Netwtw06
Lower Filters:
Upper Filters: vwifibus
Problem: 0x15
Problem Status: 0x0

Do I have a faulty wifi module or is this something an update/settings change can fix? Looking through the forums with other post having wifi drops, it's recommended to uncheck a box in the power management tab but I don't even have that tab available in my wifi device. This is getting pretty annoying for something this expensive.

Guru
Views: 544
Message 2 of 10

Re: New Yoga C930 dropping wifi

Don't have a C930, but I see nobody's responding, so I'm going to take a guess and assume it has a Qualcomm Atheros WiFi card. Those can be a little tricky to configure, but it is possible. A lot of routers seem to have issues if the Qualcomm goes into power-saving mode. In my experience, the card also has fits with competing WiFi signals, like from a neighbor's router or some other hub. 

You can (or should be able to) get to the WiFi power settings this way:

Windows Key > Settings (gear icon) > System > Power and Sleep > Additional Power Settings > Change Plan Settings > Change Advanced Power Settings >  Expand "Wireless Adapter Settings" > expand "Power saving mode" and change both to "maximum performance." 

You can also get to the Roaming Aggressiveness setting through Device Manager. Find the Qualcomm device and right click. Choose properties. The roaming aggressiveness should be in the Advanced tab. Mine is set to 3.

It's also worthwhile to download a program such as WiFi Scanner to see what's around you. In my case, my laptop is actually closer to my neighbor's router than mine. It'd dump my router to try to log on to his, then come back. So, I finally stuck my router on the least-used 5Ghz channel and gave different SSIDs to each band. Between that an the Roaming setting, it sticks to my router all the time. 

All else fails, you can yank the Qualcomm and install an Intel chip. Check the Lenovo whitelist for your device before doing that, though. 

Let us know how you get on...

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
lando786
Fanfold Paper
Views: 497
Message 3 of 10

This laptop acutally has an intel chip. Device manager lists a Intel Wireless-AC 9260. Roaming aggressiveness is set to 3 by default. But the power options in settings is not present. I also can't set anything from the Intel Proset Wireless tools. It just has the import wireless profile option. I configured the channels last night and that solved another issue I had but not this one. I've already had 2 disconnects in the last hour I've used this machine.

Here's a screenshot of my power options:

Capture.PNGPower OptionsCapture.PNGProset Wireless Tools

Maugha
SCSI Port
Views: 494
Message 4 of 10

This is interesting.  I had a situation last night where my wifi stopped and it was only on my computer.  I went into Vantage (Which I had already set up the day I got this computer) and it said it was configuring Vantage--like it was new or never used before.  Through a series of checks, etc.  I had to restart my computer.  When I restarted it, the WIFI came back on.  But it was about 40 minutes that it was down.  

Guru
Views: 489
Message 5 of 10

Windows update has been known to remove the Wireless Adapter power configuration settings.  There's a registry hack that will restore them if you're comfortable doing that.

Before attempting that, however, try the laptop at work or on a public WiFi hotspot, somewhere. If it works there, that largely rules out your computer. 

lando786
Fanfold Paper
Views: 485
Message 6 of 10

Thanks for this, I've set the power saving mode to maximum performance. Hopefully that will help some but I don't have my hopes up since that seemed to have been the default for when the charger was connected, and the wifi drops also happen when the charger is connected.
Regardless, I'll keep you posted.
lando786
Fanfold Paper
Views: 465
Message 7 of 10

I thought it worked last night since I was able to stay connected for a while, but the issue seems to have started back up again. This time losing all 5g signal until I turned Wifi off and then on again, immediately jumped to full signal and connected.

Also there seems to be an update for my Intel AC 9260 wifi adapter but the installation is blocked on my machine.

Capture.PNG

Update: Managed to install new drivers by downloading the driver only package, hopefully this resolves this issue

bcromwell
What's DOS?
Views: 172
Message 8 of 10

Did the driver update resolve the issue?  I am having the exact same issue on the one I bought today. 

lando786
Fanfold Paper
Views: 169
Message 9 of 10

I keep having the issue every now and then but much less recently. I'm not fully sure if it's a laptop issue or a wifi issue as my son's tablet has started doing something similar. I am running a Netgear Nighthawk(R) X4S R7800 for what it's worth.
Guru
Views: 145
Message 10 of 10

@lando786 wrote:
I keep having the issue every now and then but much less recently. I'm not fully sure if it's a laptop issue or a wifi issue as my son's tablet has started doing something similar. I am running a Netgear Nighthawk(R) X4S R7800 for what it's worth.

First, make sure both your computer and the Nighthawk are up to date. Netgear released new firmware for some Nighthawks recently. I remember having to update mine. Use Lenovo Vantage to update the computer.

Since it's both the computer and a tablet, it's either the router or some other interference. You can download WiFi Scanner or any similar program to see what's going on around you. There are about a dozen 2.4Ghz networks around me, clogging the band. I've had to force everything I have that WILL do 5Ghz onto that band, instead. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors