Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo Yoga Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

11 Posts

11-07-2012

Bozeman, Montana

18 Signins

162 Page Views

• Views: 162
  • Message 1 of 6

Noisy mushy keyboard on Yoga

2012-11-14, 19:46 PM

Has anyone else experienced--in addition to the irritating trackpad issues--the mushy, noisy keyboard I'm experiencing? It has a lot more "give" and flex than I'm used to. I read reviews saying that the keyboard on this was "typical Lenovo, excellent" but I'm inclined to strongly disagree. It feels chincy, cheap, and mushy...probably one of the worst keyboards I've ever had the misfortune of using. This one is NOT up to Lenovo's typical keyboard standards. Oh it looks nice, and I even like the shallow keystroke, but the keyboard tray itself flexes too much while typing...it makes typing on it feel, for lack of a better descriptor, mushy. The mushiness would be bad enough but the plus (+/=) and minus (-/_) keys both creak when typed. UGH. And this is true for the top row of function keys as well. Seriously? A creaky keyboard? Unbelievable. 

Are these issues just the Yoga I got? Or are others out there experiencing the same things? My wife and I also own the Lenovo V570 which has a far superior keyboard, a non-finicky trackpad, and no creakiness while typing. Sure it doesn't do back-bends like the Yoga, nor does it have the beautiful screen--but comeon, Lenovo, if you're not going to make the rest of the laptop excel, then why bother?

The Yoga: awesome screen (high resolution, amazing colors and clarity, and has touch), interesting ability to do back-bends with the screen, nice look and feel (I personally really like the size, weight, dimensions, and the feel of the palm rest and laptop), abysmal keyboard (with some keys which creak whenever they're typed) and super irritating trackpad. 

The sucky thing is that the trackpad is fixable with a driver update. The keyboard is not. And it's a shame because so much about this laptop I LOVE. But I NEED a good keyboard--and I thought for sure I could count on Lenovo for at least that. If Lenovo wants help designing shallow ultrabook keyboards which still have excellent tactile feedback they should call up Apple and seek some assistance.

Options

6578 Posts

06-27-2008

United States of America

29022 Signins

1662078 Page Views

• Views: 1662078
  • Message 2 of 6

Re: Noisy mushy keyboard on Yoga

2012-11-15, 7:56 AM

sorry to hear of your Yoga's keyboard experience.

my Yoga13's keyboard is rock-solid, no flex, no squeak/creak. i will admit that the new 6-row island-style keyboard is new to me, and i'm still not used to the rearranged key locations, but i wouldn't describe it as a mushy or imprecise feeling.

if you really do like all of the other aspects of your machine, i'd recommend that you give Service a call and request that the keyboard be replaced.

Country or RegionProductLanguageTelephone numberHours of operation
United States THINK-branded products English 1-800-426-7378 24 hours/day
7 days/week
IDEA-branded and
B, C, E, G, H, K, N, Q, V, Y Series Products
English 1-877-4 Lenovo
(1-877-453-6686)
24 hours a day
7 days a week

regards.

Community GuidelinesPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
Requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee

Options

11 Posts

11-07-2012

Bozeman, Montana

18 Signins

162 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

2012-11-16, 20:08 PM
Seriously? When you're typing you don't see the whole keyboard move (even if just for split seconds as each key is pressed? On mine I can see the whole area around a key flex inward when a key is pressed. I'm blown away to hear that yours is rock solid. No bounce? No flex? No springiness? Amazing. If that's the case perhaps I will have to place a call to them.

Can anyone else contribute their experience with the Yoga's keyboard? And can anyone else indicate if they've also used the keyboard on the IdeaPad U310 and compare that keyboard to the Yoga's? In my experience comparing my Yoga to the U310 in a local store, they were basically identical.

Thank you for your input, sarbin. If I could get the keyboard issue resolved to my satisfaction I'd be a happy camper.
Options

15 Posts

11-15-2012

California

46 Signins

286 Page Views

• Views: 286
  • Message 4 of 6

2012-11-16, 20:31 PM

I haven't noticed any mushiness of the keyboard, and I even removed and and replaced it when I upgraded to 8GB of RAM.

Options

6578 Posts

06-27-2008

United States of America

29022 Signins

1662078 Page Views

• Views: 1662078
  • Message 5 of 6

2012-11-16, 20:37 PM

@laughfactory...

Confirmed. No flex, mushiness or untoward noises from the keyboard on my Yoga13. I believe, Community Moderator Agotthelf also described his keyboard as top-notch in his review article in the Community Spotlight.

Regards.

Community GuidelinesPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
Requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee

Options

11 Posts

11-07-2012

Bozeman, Montana

18 Signins

162 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

2012-11-16, 21:02 PM
Very strange. I'll give Lenovo a call and see what I can do about getting a new keyboard then. Thank you for your input, both of you. Glad to hear my experience isn't the norm. If I can resolve it I'll update my reviews of the Yoga elsewhere to reflect a Yoga in correct working condition.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms