Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gorgiRankovski
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,968
Message 1 of 11

PD Firmware (Type C Firmware) update failure - can't charge my laptop

I was updating my drivers for my new Lenovo Yoga 920 laptop and I tried to use this driver: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/no/en/products/LAPTOPS-AND-NETBOOKS/YOGA-SERIES/YOGA-920-13IKB-GLASS/do...

However, the update keeps failing and the Type C ports do not work now. I can't charge my laptop. Luckely I am at 75%, so I have about 3-4 hours to fix this before I'm forced to take it to service.

I tried this solution: https://www.gfisk.com/lenovo-yoga-pd-firmware-update-failure-ccg4-two-port-usb-c-controller/

but it doesn't work for me. I'm getting desperate Smiley Sad
I'm supposed to press the power button for 8 seconds and the powering should be back on, but for me the lap top goes off after 3 seconds of holding the power button. I keep pressing the button of course to see what happens. But, when I turn back on, the battery still won't charge. And the firmware update keeps failing. I tried everything according to instructions, but with no avail.

Please help! My laptop is off now, so I will wait for solutions here before I turn it back on.

dosher
Punch Card
Views: 3,949
Message 2 of 11

Re: PD Firmware (Type C Firmware) update failure - can't charge my laptop

Have you clicked on the battery icon and set this to Best battery life?

Have you tried using System Restore?

gorgiRankovski
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,946
Message 3 of 11

I have not. 

Are you sure System Restore will help? 

dosher
Punch Card
Views: 3,939
Message 4 of 11

If we assume that the issue is purely as a result of the failed driver update which has somehow broken the USB C ports ability to charge, then there is every chance that a System Restore will work as it should just be a software issue.  But of course it does depend upon whether you have System Restore actually turned on!

I’m also assuming that you have backed up all of your data as the clock is now ticking!

I have had an occasion when System Restore initially failed to work on my 920 but rebooting into Safe Mode and running it again did work.  Hopefully you won’t need to do that but be aware that it’s another option if the System Restore procedure fails the first time.

gorgiRankovski
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,935
Message 5 of 11

Well, it's not a driver I think. The tool that I used is a utility that writes directly to the firmware and I think it has nothing to do with Windows. 

I will try system restore as a last resort. Will wait to see if I get any other suggestion.

Thanks! 

dosher
Punch Card
Views: 3,930
Message 6 of 11

Good luck.  Think you may end up having to speak directly to Lenovo.

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 3,925
Message 7 of 11

Unplug the power, remove the battery ( if it's not seated to the pc ) and press power button and hold for 30-40 seconds.

Then replace the battery ( if it's not seated ), plug the ac and try again if it works

Do not try to attempt to remove the battery. It seems it was seated to your system

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com
gorgiRankovski
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,912
Message 8 of 11

Thanks for your input @yigit. Unfortunately, it is not possible to unmount the batery. I would have to unscrew the bottom, but I don't want to mess up my waranty.

Any other way to do the thing with the power button?

gorgiRankovski
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,906
Message 9 of 11

FIXED!

The way I fixed it was to run msconfig, in the "General" tab I selected "Diagnostic setup" and rebooted the laptop. When Windows booted, I ran the PD Firmware Update utility and it worked! Oh, what a relief Smiley Happy

Thanks everyone for their help.

dosher
Punch Card
Views: 3,903
Message 10 of 11

Nice - well done!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors