cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
photodb
Serial Port
Views: 269
Message 1 of 1

Problems with Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost and Microsoft.Windows.Cortana application?

Problems with Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost and Microsoft.Windows.Cortana application? - Don't reload - Read on...

If you haven't seen that error message, you can skip this rant.

Ever since the Microsoft Windows update in November, both of my 64-bit Windows 10 machines have had wonky taskbars. Left click the Windows logo and nothing pops up. Click in the search area and you couldn't type anything in - no characters would appear. Right click on any of my Adobe or Microsoft icons in the taskbar, and no choices would come up. Other wierd things were happening as well.

I ran a Microsoft diagnostics tool and the errors it reported were: Fix Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost and Microsoft.Windows.Cortana applications; but, of course there was nothing I could find on how to fix them.

I tried rolling back to a previous Restore Point and every one failed.

I called Lenovo warranty support, hoping they would have a solution. After mentioning the problem, their simple and immediate solution was to reload Windows and they sent me a USB stick with the Windows Restore software.

Since I have probably 50 photo and video editing programs loaded on these machines, and probably 100+ plugins and special effects tools added to the various editing programs, the thought of totally reloading all those was anything but what I needed during a busy holiday season.

Procrastinating turned out to be the best solution.

Today, Windows latest monthly upgrade was installed on both machines and VIOLA! - all my problems were resolved.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors