Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lenovotv
HDMI
Views: 1,761
Message 1 of 8

Questions about Yoga C930 and X1Y3

Hi, I have some questions about this product after checking the product specifications. Could you please let me know the answers?

1. Is the SSD user replacable?

2. For the 1TB version, is the SSD NVMe PCIe 3.0x4 at 32Gb/s?

3. Some reviewers have 256GB version made by Hynix which is slower. Is the 1TB SSD made by Samsung or Hynix?

4. Are those two USB 3.0 Type-C ports running independently at full speed?

5. It uses the same Intel UHD 620 as the X1 Yoga Gen3. Why it can only drive an external monitor at 3840x2160@ 60Hz while the X1Y3 can drive at 5120x2880@ 60Hz

6. Does it use something like S0 or S3 which could cause compatibility issue with Linux?

7. What are the differences between the Yoga C930 and X1 Yoga Gen 3 besides different keyboard types and the latter has hdmi port?

8. Given the same tasks, which one is less nosiy?

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 1,717
Message 2 of 8

Re: Questions about Yoga C930 and X1Y3

Hey there, lenovotv! 

Welcome to the Lenovo forum discussion! 

Based on what we have gathered, here is the answer to your queries: 

1. Is the SSD user replaceable? 

Answer: 

Yoga C930 –Yes. up to 2TB M.2 SSD’s are tested.

Parts lookup page:

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/yoga-series/yoga-c930-13ikb/81c4/pa...

X1Y3 – Yes. up to 1TB M.2 SSD’s are tested.

Parts lookup page:

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-...

2. For the 1TB version, is the SSD NVMe PCIe 3.0x4 at 32Gb/s?

Answer: 

Yoga C930  - Yes, up  to SSD NVMe PCIe 3.0x4 at 32Gb/s? can be used.

X1Y3 - Yes, up  to SSD NVMe PCIe 3.0x4 at 32Gb/s? can be used.

3. . Some reviewers have 256GB version made by Hynix which is slower. Is the 1TB SSD made by Samsung or Hynix? 

Answer: 

Yoga C930 - From the parts lookup page, the 1TB M.2 SSD can either be made by Samsung, Hynix, Intel, or Toshiba

X1Y3 - From the parts lookup page, the 1TB M.2 SSD is made by Samsung.

4. Are those two USB 3.0 Type-C ports running independently at full speed? 

Answer: 

Both the Yoga C930 and Y1YC supports two USB 3.1 Type-C Gen 2 ports with a theoretical speed of 10 Gbit/s (1.25 GB/s).

5. It uses the same Intel UHD 620 as the X1 Yoga Gen3. Why it can only drive an external monitor at 3840x2160@ 60Hz while the X1Y3 can drive at 5120x2880@ 60Hz

Answer: 

The Yoga C930 uses a Intel JHL6540 Thunderbolt controller. From https://ark.intel.com/products/94031/Intel-JHL6540-Thunderbolt-3-Controller, this uses a Displayport 1.2 specification which can support video resolutions of up to 3840 x 2160 (4K).

6. Does it use something like S0 or S3 which could cause compatibility issue with Linux?

Answer: 

I don’t see the any S0/S3 configurations in the BIOS but the X1Y3 is certified to run Linux while the Yoga C930 isn’t.

Linux for personal systems:

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/pd031426

7. What are the differences between the Yoga C930 and X1 Yoga Gen 3 besides different keyboard types and the latter has hdmi port?

Answer: 

Other key differences:

X1Y3 – Intel® vPro™ Platform Eligibility, up to HDR WQHD Display, Gigabit Ethernet, up to 720p+IR Camera (with ThinkShutter camera privacy), up to Mobile Broadband support (4G LTE-A), MIL-STD-810G Military Standard

Yoga C930 – up to 4k  Display, No Ethernet (USB to Ethernet adapter needed), 720p camera, No Mobile Broadband

8. Given the same tasks, which one is less nosiy?

Answer: 

Based on the reviews below, the Thinkpad X1Y3 is quieter.

Reviews (see System Noise):

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X1-Yoga-2018-i7-8550U-HDR-WQHD-Convertible-Review.2899...

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-Yoga-C930-13IKB-i7-8550U-FHD-Convertible-Review.338502.0.html

Regards! 

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

lenovotv
HDMI
Views: 1,710
Message 3 of 8

Thanks ChrisE,

Do do you mean for the X1 Yoga Gen 3, 2TB SSD may or may not work. Just not tested yet?

Is there anything good about the JHL6540 Thunderbolt controller on the C930 compared with the one in the X1 Yoga Gen 3?

Are they both compatible with eGPU?

For the X1Yoga Gen 3 with HDR screen, C930 with FHD and 4K screens, how long does it take to charge the device from 0 to 80%? Can I use higher watt AC adapter to speed up the charging speed?

How is the battery life in real life use ? Half of the advertised values?

I have a large 4K TV with HDR. Do both X1 Yoga Gen3 HDR model and C930 (FHD and 4K models) allow the user to view HDR contents on the external 4K display? Do they all allow driving of external TV at 60Hz with Chrome 4:4:4?

Guru
Views: 1,662
Message 4 of 8

I'd also like to add on that if you're a user that types a lot, you'll definitely want the ThinkPad because the keyboard is better. ThinkPad is also more durable in my experience (it's also MIL-spec tested unlike the Yoga). 

Hope that helps!

Regards,
Eric Xu

I'm a Lenovo forums advocate and brand advocate (Lenovo INsider). I'm a volunteer; I don't work for Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Motorola   •IdeaPad   •ThinkPad   •Gaming   •ThinkCentre   •IdeaCentre   •Think Tablets   •Lenovo Tablets

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

Highlighted
lenovotv
HDMI
Views: 1,657
Message 5 of 8

Thanks Eric. One concern is that since the keys do not retract like the X1Y3's, I may feel uncomfortable holding it in tablet mode. Besides the excellent Atmost soundbar and stylish design, is there anything else good about the C930 when compared with the X1Y3?

Guru
Views: 1,651
Message 6 of 8

The battery life on the C930 is slightly larger (54 vs 60 Wh), so you'll probably get half an hour more of use out of it  Yoga C930 is also cheaper than the ThinkPad. I have the Yoga 920 and the X1Y2, and I prefer the X1Y2 (you can read my comparison of the two here.

If watching videos or listening to music is something you do often, definitely get the C930 because the X1 Yoga's speakers are mediocre. If you're a student (like me) or simply do a lot of typing, the X1 Yoga is the better option. 

Hope that helps!

Regards,
Eric Xu

I'm a Lenovo forums advocate and brand advocate (Lenovo INsider). I'm a volunteer; I don't work for Lenovo.

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Motorola   •IdeaPad   •ThinkPad   •Gaming   •ThinkCentre   •IdeaCentre   •Think Tablets   •Lenovo Tablets

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

VictorMunoz
What's DOS?
Views: 1,567
Message 7 of 8

Is it possible to upgrade the RAM to 32gb for Yoga C930?

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 1,564
Message 8 of 8

Hey there, VictorMunoz! 

As we were checking here, the RAM of the Lenovo Yoga C930 is soldered to the motherboard and it cannot be upgraded. Also, it does not have an additional RAM slot. See the full specs of the Lenovo C930 here https://psref.lenovo.com/Product/Lenovo_Tablets_and_Convertibles/Yoga_C930_14?CID=ww:lenovosocial:20...

Regards! 

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors