Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Paper Tape
Message 12 of 1,156 (96,464 Views)

Re: Yoga 2 Pro 13 Yellow Color Issues

[ Edited ]

Took a photo comparing my HP Pavilion and the Y2P (in front).  Huge difference in color!

Spoiler
Pic2.jpg

spoiler added

Punch Card
Message 1 of 1,156 (96,742 Views)

Yoga 2 Pro 13 Yellow Color Issues

[ Edited ]

I am having color issues with this panel as are pretty much everyone else who has this device already. The yellow looks nothing like yellow. The Panel is SDC424A and no matter how much tweaking I do, I can't get anything close a true yellow. 

This is the yellow you are giving me in MS Paint on my new yoga 2:

Yoga ms paint yellow for len forum.jpg

This is yellow windows 8 desktop background (solid colors) on my new yoga 2:

windows solid color background yellow for len forum.jpg

This is yellow MS Paint on my desktop PC

My desktop PC Yellow for len forum.jpg

This is yellow win 7 desktop background (solid colors) on my desktop pc:

My Desktop Yellow Background for len forum.jpg

And this is a comparison taken from my phone that shows the contrast between accurate and what yoga is providing:

yellow example for len forums.jpg

Puke green? really? and everyone on other forums who have been discussing this has the same problem.

So my question is if this is a hardware or softwware problem? When I send a screenshot from my yoga to my desktop pc it goes from horrible colors to a perfect match. This leads me to believe it is hardware releated. 

This problem seems to affect all colors, but they yellow is the worst offender. If it is a panel problem, please let me know as this is unacceptable for a $1200-$1500 device.

Paper Tape
Message 2 of 1,156 (96,385 Views)

I also have this same exact issue. Reported it to level 1 tech support, and the problem was not fixed by a driver reinstall. Case number was 800 194 6757.

Can this be fixed with a firmware update? The problem appears to come by how the panel renders subpixels to achieve various colors. The Samsung Ativ Book 9 Plus uses the same panel and it has a more faded yellow than normal. However, it does appear to be better than the Yoga, which looks more yellow brown. Could the panel firmware be updated to at least look more like the Samsung AB9 plus?

Fanfold Paper
Message 3 of 1,156 (96,366 Views)

[ Edited ]

I wanted to add another voice to this problem.  My first impression of the display was extremely positive.  I still really like the display on the Yoga 2 Pro, but after taking a closer look at the way it renders certain colors, it was a little disappointing.  This is a high-end device and a high-end screen, and it is unfortunate that this system couldn't be used for activities where accurate color reproduction is key (such as photo editing/processing, one of the activities I planned on doing quite a bit of with this system).

The subpixel layout of the screen seems to be "checkered RG-BW" ( http://goo.gl/xgeu7N ) based on what I could tell by some pictures I took in macro mode ( http://goo.gl/ttxkV1 ) (and what others have presented in a discussion here: http://goo.gl/FvwrdM -- page 41 post #405, direct link: http://goo.gl/xg4r3G ).  Can Lenovo confirm whether or not updates could be made to firmware or drivers that would reduce the impact to certain colors (such as yellow) based on this type of subpixel layout?

Those posting in the forum mentioned above are extremely interested in whether or not anything can be done about this color reproduction issue.

Thanks!

Paper Tape
Message 4 of 1,156 (96,358 Views)

I have the same issue and I do not like it a bit.  What should we do?

Punch Card
Message 5 of 1,156 (96,315 Views)

after a few more hours of playing with this I still can't stand this color problem. Even in picture viewing the colors are so far off and it is very noticeable. I was just in excel yellow highlighting a group of cells and OMG......horrible. Yellow in excel gives that pop to highlight something you are sending to a cust/client etc and with this god awful yellow, it looks like I wiped the spreadsheet with some green pea soup.. that or I puked on my spreadsheet.....either way this is horrible. Lenovo, please respond as this is a huge issue and your inventory warehouse might fill up faster than it emptied out.

Fanfold Paper
Message 6 of 1,156 (96,290 Views)

Here is another image posted by someone (bit101) on notebookreview.com.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/attachments/ideapad-essential/103336d1382031268-yoga-2-pro-release-t...

Is this a luminescence and calibration issue?  It seems like making both red and green brighter for yellow, AND making red MORE brighter relative to green would help.

If that's the case, it might be fixed with a driver update.  

Fanfold Paper
Message 7 of 1,156 (89,808 Views)

It's also worth noting, that allegedly the AB9+ and Y2P have the same display panel, but the AB9+ has a richer yellow.

Punch Card
Message 8 of 1,156 (89,751 Views)

I tested using calibration and no amount of adjusting made it look any better. Also if you look at that MS paint image above i posted directly from my yoga, no amount of adjusting is going to fix that. It's a completly different color!

Punch Card
Message 9 of 1,156 (89,703 Views)

Another confirmation of this issue here. Full RGB yellow (FFFF00) comes out more like a gold color or a mustard color. Comparing it to a Mac Book Pro display, it comes out more like a BFCB00. Or, in HSB terms, both have a hue of 64 and saturation of 100%, but if I turn the B down to about 80% on the MBP, it matches the full yellow of the Yoga display.

This issue would make this otherwise awesome notebook useless to any graphic designer, artist or photographer.

Top kudoed Authors