Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo Yoga Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

9 Posts

11-02-2013

USA

7 Signins

101 Page Views

• Views: 101
  • Message 611 of 1242

Re: Yoga 2 Pro 13 Yellow Color Issues

2013-11-02, 6:34 AM

Been following this thread and thought I'd throw in my two cents.

It seems to me that the issue with the yellow is pretty exaggerated. It's common across most all RGBW pentile displays and my experience is that it can be temporarily remedied (albeit not perfectly, but such is the nature of these RGBW pentile displays) by changing a setting with Lenovo's power manager (afterward you can use Windows power manager to go back to power saver/balanced and the fix remains) - it's just that after you reboot/sleep/etc you must reapply that fix.

Since apparently windows power manager is incapable of adjusting whatever particular feature of the pentile displays that causes the issue, you can go back to power saver after adjusting with Lenovo power manager, and that particular setting isn't touched.

My feeling is that at some point they'll release a BIOS update that will make default whatever change (that one single setting) the Lenovo power manager is making at the hardware level and fix the issue entirely. And since Windows Power Manager can't even basically "see" that setting...it will not get re-adjusted at boot/wake from sleep.

I just think Lenovo is implementing a default backlight state at boot, and if they can provide a fix for that...I think we'd be in the game!

Options

86 Posts

10-22-2013

California, USA

100 Signins

576 Page Views

• Views: 576
  • Message 612 of 1242

2013-11-02, 6:46 AM
@aimnano

That would certainly be a nice update, but the fact remains that, unfortunately, this screen is just not good at producing bright yellow. Again, it surely will be acceptable to a lot of people, but I think it's also important to make this problem known for those who are looking for strong color accuracy. There are many others, myself included, who just cannot overlook the issue so easily.
Options

9 Posts

11-02-2013

USA

7 Signins

101 Page Views

• Message 613 of 1242

2013-11-02, 6:51 AM

I would agree, but as the issue is common to most all RGBW pentile displays, it's expected. If you need more accurate color reproduction then this power saving / cost saving design is obviously not for you.

Perhaps Lenovo will release a newer model later on with a full RGB IPS at the cost of power savings and price. These are just the first few releases of the Pro 2 series...I'm sure there will be more variants later on.

The reason I think it's fixable is because i think it's isolated to a change being made by Lenovo Power Manager.  If you want to replicate why I think this is fixable...open your Lenovo power manager and click "Daily Mode" then turn your brightness all the way up. Open some "big bird" pictures on Google then toggle back and forth between high performance and daily mode. The screen brightness doesn't change, but the rendering of the colors DOES. I think if the change can be made by the power manager (and is irrespective of screen brightness), but is unaffected by WINDOWS power manager...they should be able to implement a low level change to make that singular setting from the high performance profile a default/permanant state.

If not possible at the hardware level, at the very least they could release a tiny utility (for Linux too even) that would load at boot time and 'toggle' that singular setting / feature that is making all the difference in the color production.  But my gut tells me it could be fixed with a BIOS update.  If a high level windows application can toggle that little feature, so could a BIOS tweak.

Options

7 Posts

11-02-2013

Australia

3 Signins

68 Page Views

• Views: 68
  • Message 614 of 1242

2013-11-02, 7:13 AM

I don't own this machine (and don't intend to because it lacks a wacom digitizer), so I can't perform any microscopy on the panel.

As is my understanding of Samsungs pentile, however, they increase the supposed PPI by sharing a green subpixel. The idea behind this is that our eyes are more sensitive to green than red or blue, and as such it is possible to have a display with an equal luminance output with fewer subpixels devoted to green.

The issue however appears to be that colours involving a mixture of green and other subpixels (for example yellow and turquoise) are displaying a dominance of the other colour - this appears to be particularly noticeable for red (R+G = Y).  Therefore, one must conclude that the green subpixel is not luminous enough, because the yellow appears too red (rearing towards brownish).

How is this not fixable by using a custom ICC profile? I tested the theory over the internet with someone by making a mock ICC based on absolutely no measurements and simply guessing values and he reported an improvement. The side effect of this - which I believe is why lenovo most likely won't take this solution - is that it will likely make the whites cooler in temperature, and also reduce the overall contrast of the screen slightly. 

The ICC was taken from an IBM T221, you are free to try it and post your results.

http://a.pomf.se/m640t.icc <- The ICC
http://a.pomf.se/xd4da.xml <- A readable version of the ICC

This may not work for your screen, but if you notice a discernable and appreciable difference in the yellow and turquoise colour (for better or worse) then you ought to be able to calibrate the display to your needs to correct the issue. There are a wide range of calibration devices that can help you achieve this.

I do not have the funds to swing for a Yoga 2 Pro (I would if it had a wacom digitizer.......), so I can't create a real ICC profile for you, but if someone is keen enough and posts regular pictures (without changing their white balance or exposure times), then I can work towards a more standardised solution that should capture a wide range of the screens within reason from blind data.

In terms of what Lenovo can do - provided the problem can be corrected within reason through the use of calibration - is fairly limited, other than providing a very ad hoc solution like this. For example they could include calibrators like they did on some of the W series (expensive though...), or manage this using their software.

Options

9 Posts

11-02-2013

USA

7 Signins

101 Page Views

• Message 615 of 1242

2013-11-02, 7:21 AM
@ihasmario

I do believe that I am the individual you tested those ICC profiles with (4chan).

:P
Options

7 Posts

11-02-2013

Australia

3 Signins

68 Page Views

• Views: 68
  • Message 616 of 1242

2013-11-02, 7:30 AM

TBH I don't even know if the idea that the yellows are shifting brown is true as I haven't seen any good pictures. It could be an excess of green - in which case the issue should be easier to fix...

Options

1 Posts

11-02-2013

Uk

3 Signins

13 Page Views

• Views: 13
  • Message 617 of 1242

2013-11-02, 11:54 AM
Yoga 2 Pro arrived this morning ago from Amazon and is already boxed up for return. £1000 for an ultrabook that does not display yellow (or even get close to it lol) P-lease boys and girls, let's not defend the indefensible!?

1 failure connecting to router then wi-if was fine. Keys feel a bit strange on tablet mode but it is a gorgeous device for the money and truly is convertible, I shall repurchase if Lenovo fix the issue and respond formally on here instead of leaving it to poor Mark :)

Otherwise it is back to the drawing board I'm afraid
Options

6 Posts

10-30-2013

United States

28 Signins

115 Page Views

• Views: 115
  • Message 618 of 1242

2013-11-02, 14:13 PM

Where is Mark?  Mark, Mark, please show up, do not hide there. It seems you are not here?

As a lenovo representative, you are reponsible to update the progress on the solving the issues on lenovo's product to all the customers eagerly waiting for your response. 

Please keep us posted, at least, let's us know if Lenovo has any timeline to solve this issue so we can wait. Otherwsie, we plan to return it before the return deadline.  

Thanks, Mark.

Mark, Mark, please show up.

Options

41 Posts

10-23-2013

Oregon

53 Signins

553 Page Views

• Views: 553
  • Message 619 of 1242

2013-11-02, 14:26 PM

wrote:

Where is Mark?  Mark, Mark, please show up, do not hide there. It seems you are not here?

As a lenovo representative, you are reponsible to update the progress on the solving the issues on lenovo's product to all the customers eagerly waiting for your response. 

Please keep us posted, at least, let's us know if Lenovo has any timeline to solve this issue so we can wait. Otherwsie, we plan to return it before the return deadline.  

Thanks, Mark.

Mark, Mark, please show up.

I don't know what else you want Mark to say.  He just said this Tuesday; " I would think maybe within another week we'll see it."  referring to the bios update and other patches.  So that would be next Tuesday at the earliest one would think.

Options

119 Posts

10-23-2013

United States of America

85 Signins

765 Page Views

• Views: 765
  • Message 620 of 1242

2013-11-02, 14:47 PM
@ihasmario, I have a Yoga 2 Pro and the yellow looks more greenish to me than brown.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms