Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
medeiom
HDMI
Views: 4,033
Message 50 of 1,653

Re: Yoga 2 Pro Wifi Problems

I understand the frustration on those experiencing WiFi issues, but this is one great innovating machine and those should think twice. The WiFi card can easily be switched out (one buyer did just that) and it will solve the WiFi issues.

Please read some of the solutions within this tread. This is not a widespread Yoga Pro issue.
jgunderson
Paper Tape
Views: 4,517
Message 51 of 1,653

I purchased a Yoga 2 Pro yesterday from Best Buy.

Irrelevant side note: first one was dead on arrival and I had to take it back and exchange it.

Second one was operational, but very early I realized it had wifi issues. It was easily the slowest device connected to my DSL modem/router and there was no accounting for it. Rebooting would get snappy downloads again, but it was a game chance to see how long it would last (never more than ten minutes of quick download speeds).

The worst was using LogMeIn which requires a continual up/down connection with low tolerance for errors. It was painful - my old iphone 4 (no S) did better running the LogMeIn app over 3G on the outskirts of town.

In any case, after suffering a little and then reading the many issues others have had I saw the need to decide quickly whether to return the device. I like innovation, but not at the expense of basic function.

As a last ditch effort, I tried quite a few fixes in succession, many from this forum.

- I made sure to download all available (including optional) Windows 8.1 updates. NO CHANGE

- I downloaded Lenovo's latest driver. NO CHANGE

- I changed the power settings in Windows 8.1 so they wouldn't affect the wireless radio. NO CHANGE

- I tried playing with radio channels, RF power levels, moving to different rooms. NO CHANGE

- I tried all manner of settings changes to my router. NO CHANGE

- Out of desperation, I disabled bluetooth and then disabled Bluetooth AMP in the adapter settings. IT WORKED

Time will tell if it is a permanent fix, but since making the change with respect to bluetooth I have been able to maintain snappy connections via LogMeIn, every speed test comes back fast, and not one webpage has loaded slowly. I hadn't gone 10 minutes without issues from the moment I powered up the brand new device, but here it is working well and it's been smooth sailing for a few hours now.

Note: I was not using bluetooth for anything - nothing was connected to the computer via bluetooth. It didn't seem obvious to me how it could interfere, but I was out of intuitive things to try.

Curious to know if this works for others. Also, if the problem returns, I will post an update.

ps - I too am annoyed that these problems exist, but there is a lot of good going on in the design of the Yoga 2. Let's give these Lenovo folks some time to straighten things out. If they keep shipping bricks and leaving us to clean up the mess, they'll suffer like all companies do when they continually disappoint. There is no need for anonymous angry words like some I've seen. Don't like the toy? Take it back. Feel taken advantage of? You've either got grounds for a civil suit or you are being a whiner.

genewell
Paper Tape
Views: 4,494
Message 52 of 1,653

Really? You solution is to buy a defective product, and remove the wifi card and replace it with one that works? This issue is single handedly destroying the reputation of the IBM ThinkPad brand. Lenovo runs the risk of becoming another Compaq has been if they don't clean it up. I wouldn't touch this computer with a ten foot pole now after reading through this thread.

medeiom
HDMI
Views: 4,447
Message 53 of 1,653

First, I agree that this should not happen and if you're not a technical person, then I guess frustration will mount. It appears that these WiFi issues are mostly from Best Buy purchases. Have you tried disabling Bluetooth? It worked on one Best Buy customer.

My purchase was directly from Lenovo and I have zero issues.

From a personal technical standpoint, I would try all options before sending Yoga Pro back. One user decided to install the latest 802.11ac WiFi card and gained better wireless speeds. It's a solution.
medeiom
HDMI
Views: 4,386
Message 54 of 1,653

Before sending any Yoga Pro back, I highly recommend trying the following..

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/cs-025780.htm

gpete
Paper Tape
Views: 4,360
Message 55 of 1,653

@medeiom wrote:
First, I agree that this should not happen and if you're not a technical person, then I guess frustration will mount. It appears that these WiFi issues are mostly from Best Buy purchases. Have you tried disabling Bluetooth? It worked on one Best Buy customer.

My purchase was directly from Lenovo and I have zero issues.

From a personal technical standpoint, I would try all options before sending Yoga Pro back. One user decided to install the latest 802.11ac WiFi card and gained better wireless speeds. It's a solution.

That is the only way I can get any sort of connection on mine as well - disable BT. However, this is not an acceptable solution. I may want to stream video over wifi and use my A2DP headphones (I like wireless). I also would like to use a mouse, but don't want to dedicate one of the two USB ports to that and since there is supposed to be BT, the better solution is to use BT mouse.

I have tried all the drivers mentioned, and these do not solve the problem. 

Shanghaitom
Paper Tape
Views: 4,328
Message 56 of 1,653

Thanks for the advice.  I'll give it a go tonight and let you know what I find.

Shanghaitom
Paper Tape
Views: 4,269
Message 57 of 1,653

I ran the diagnostic and everything looks good.  Time will tell!  Tx.

Highlighted
gpete
Paper Tape
Views: 4,253
Message 58 of 1,653

@Shanghaitom wrote:

I ran the diagnostic and everything looks good.  Time will tell!  Tx.

Can you outline the steps? I can't find any diagnostic utility.

Former Administrator
Views: 4,135
Message 59 of 1,653

All,

There is a new driver available as discussed early in this thread.

Could you please review our article here?

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Idea-Windows-based-Tablets-and/Yoga-2-Pro-Wifi-connection-dropped-connec...

Mark

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors