07-11-2014

Naperville IL

21 Signins

297 Page Views

• Views: 297
  • Message 1151 of 1678

Re: Yoga 2 Pro Wifi Problems

2014-07-22, 11:23 AM

Am I banned now, I got an email asking if it and to accept solution, but then when I click on the link, it says I do not have privliages?

Options

85 Posts

02-08-2014

United States of America

70 Signins

573 Page Views

• Views: 573
  • Message 1152 of 1678

2014-07-22, 18:55 PM

I thought about this all day and want to revise my comment.  The fact is that even with all the problems, I probably would buy again.  The form factor is just something I haven't seen elsewhere; I wanted to be able to make a large, flat tablet for piano music, so I would have it with me wherever I was and could turn pages easier.  This fits the bill. 

I havve had a lot of problems but either they weren't too bad, or I learned to work around them.  I love the orange color I got.  And before this I had tried one that was way heavier, way hotter, and battery was 2-3 hours.  Sure I'd like to get 7 or 8 on this, but I'm usually plugged in, and 4-5 is still better than I've ever gotten before.  So a better way to say this is that I love the product so much, I would buy it again even with the problems.  However, if I was having these problems on a more massive scale, for example lots of wifi problems like others are having, rather than the few I have, then I would return it in it's return period and buy it again, hoping to get one without so many problems. 

Options

11 Posts

03-13-2014

San Diego, CA

23 Signins

107 Page Views

• Views: 107
  • Message 1153 of 1678

2014-07-22, 23:11 PM

Welp, I've bee monitoring this thread for a while now, and I just don't know where to go from here. I bought my Y2P back in January. WiFi connectivity was fine at first, but dropped the connection occasionally still. A quick restart of the laptop seemed to fix it until the next time. Now I'm 7 months in, and after so many windows updates and blah blah blah, the WiFi doesn't stay connected for longer than an hour, sometimes every 3-4 minutes, and I have to restart every **bleep** time. I can't use it anymore. I've called tech support, and they don't know what they're doing, and they're apparently unfamiliar with this problem.

I have the N 7260 card, updated drivers, and it's the worst. My router at home is 2.4 gHz. I don't want to return my laptop. I like my Y2P, except for this maddening problem. Am I right in thinking I have one of two choices?

Choice 1: Backup and do a factory reset on my Y2P, and hope that the drivers that came with my Y2P back in January will actually work (though a user above mentioned they did just that and are still having problems, but less than before).

Choice 2: Replace with the aformentioned AC card, update drivers for the AC card and buy a new 5 gHz router, voiding the warranty.

Question: If I ever want to use the warranty and need to ship back my Y2P, is there anythig in the process of replacing the wireless card that will make it obvious that I have taken out the old card and tried to put it back in? (like breaking a seal or sticker)

This is depressing and frustrating. I hate paying 1k for a machine that can't do something so freaking BASIC. UGH.

Options

9 Posts

03-29-2014

United States

14 Signins

265 Page Views

• Views: 265
  • Message 1154 of 1678

2014-07-23, 0:25 AM

This month I bought the Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro with the N7260 wireless card. I was not aware of the wireless problem previously. I am affected by the wifi problem. I am affected in two ways:

• Wifi drops sometimes, saying "limited" connection with a yellow exclamation point in the notification area.
  • Sometimes upon closing the clamshell lid or upon booting the computer the wifi is unable to connect to a network that other machines are easily connected to. A restart (or even two) is necessary to connect to the internet.

In order to circumevent it I have taken the following steps that I found posted in this forum and the intel forum:

1. Updated the driver to the 17.0.5.8 version on the Intel Website.
  2. Turned off "Allow this computer to turn off this device to save power." In the device manager > power managment properties for this network adapter. 
  3. Turned of U-APSD Support in the device manager > advanced properties for this network adapter.
  4. Turned off PCI Express in the advanced power options for all power plans that I utilize.

My questions are as follows to Lenovo or anyone who has experience with this issue:

1. Are there any temporary solutions that I have missed that I can try?
  2. Has anyone noticed that turning off power management settings in points 2-4 above significantly affects battery life?
  3. Are intel and/or lenovo currently working on correcting this issue? What result can we reasonably expect?
  4. Is this issue covered under the warranty? Can I return the machine if the issue is persistent?

Thank you very much for your help!

Options

8 Posts

03-20-2014

United States of America

73 Signins

227 Page Views

• Views: 227
  • Message 1155 of 1678

2014-07-23, 19:43 PM

About the warranty, yes replacing the wifi card will void it. Unless your are extremely crafty at peeling stickers, you will have to rip off or puncture the greenish metallic sticker on the bottom of the laptop in the center. see comments below for more info regarding this. Basically, just be on the lookout for any stickers if you have a non-lenovo warranty.

@maxharleman:

1. Some people have suggested turning off ipv6. I tried it before swapping to the AC card and it did seem to make the drops less frequent. I won't pretend to understand how that even makes sense, but it's a thing.

1b. Some people have also opened up their y2p to find that an antenna or two had been unplugged. Of course, even checking this will void your warranty and is really only a way to possibly save $50 on the AC card. I personally didn't have any unplugged wires, so I don't think it is the root of the problem anyways.

2. I've disabled most power management garbage and notice no difference in battery life.

3. Intel maybe, Lenovo doesn't seem to give a beep about it, even with this 100 page thread about a major flaw in their flagship ultrabook. not that I can blame them on the hardware/software end of it as that's entirely up to Intel, but I'm sure their lack of communication or help for customers won't be forgotten when we're all shopping for our next laptop when the time comes.

4. Yes, hardware malfunction is certainly covered under any warranty that starts with a "w" they might give you the run around as they will with any issue, but it is certainly covered, just as a fried CPU or broken fan is covered. Whether or not a return is covered at all, as opposed to a replacement, I wouldn't know unless I actually saw the warranty. I bought my y2p refurbished from a 3rd party seller so I doubt it is the same thing.

edit: I don't know if anyone has tried this yet, and I'm not really up to the task of swapping my card again to test it, but it might be worth trying out the drivers for the AC card on Intels website. The two cards are very similar and those drivers seem to be a bit further along. I don't know if they will even install, but if anyone is feeling adventurous, it might be a thing they can test out.

Options

85 Posts

02-08-2014

United States of America

70 Signins

573 Page Views

• Message 1156 of 1678

2014-07-23, 19:47 PM
I don't know why you guys keep thinking opening your case will void your
warranty. When my keyboard was bad they sent me a new one ot put in.
It didn't void warranty to open the back and install it. One of the
reasons I bought this computer was because you do have access to things
and can replace batteries yourself, etc. If you have something that
says you void your warranty just by checking to see if an antenna is
plugged in, I'd like to see it.

Options

8 Posts

03-20-2014

United States of America

73 Signins

227 Page Views

• Views: 227
  • Message 1157 of 1678

2014-07-23, 19:55 PM

@qofmiwok

Did you not have one of these stickers on the back?

2014-07-23 13.49.45rs.jpg

If not, then that must have been added by the 3rd party seller I bought mine from and my previous post regarding voiding the warranty is indeed incorrect. Either that, or Lenovo is ignoring the tampered stickers which is a pretty nice thing to do.

Options

9 Posts

03-29-2014

United States

14 Signins

265 Page Views

• Views: 265
  • Message 1158 of 1678

2014-07-23, 19:57 PM

Thanks for the info Oiulkj.

I have searced this thread but have read conflicting information. Sorry if I misinterpreted and am creating a redundancy:

Is the AC card on the white list. Will it definitely work after making the replacement?

Is the problem solved with the AC card on both 2.4 and 5 Ghz bands? 

Thanks again!

Options

85 Posts

02-08-2014

United States of America

70 Signins

573 Page Views

• Message 1159 of 1678

2014-07-23, 20:00 PM
Nope, I don't have one of those. Looks like a 3rd party sticker, as you said.
Options

1725 Posts

08-14-2011

USA

1886 Signins

25513 Page Views

• Views: 25513
  • Message 1160 of 1678

2014-07-23, 20:10 PM

wrote:
I don't know why you guys keep thinking opening your case will void your
warranty. When my keyboard was bad they sent me a new one ot put in.
It didn't void warranty to open the back and install it. One of the
reasons I bought this computer was because you do have access to things
and can replace batteries yourself, etc. If you have something that
says you void your warranty just by checking to see if an antenna is
plugged in, I'd like to see it.

Yep, Lenovo has sent me parts before, under warranty, and have allowed me to preform the installation.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms