Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo Yoga Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

265 Posts

07-04-2014

EU

924 Signins

7415 Page Views

• Views: 7415
  • Message 1441 of 1678

Re: Yoga 2 Pro Wifi Problems

2014-10-25, 10:19 AM

wrote:
Just an update that I upgraded my wireless card in the Yoga 2 Pro using the card above and this instructional video. Everything worked like a charm and now I am dripping in megabits. I went from having an average of 1-3Mbps download speeds and precarious WiFi and Bluetooth connectivity to blazing at a constant 30Mbps (my ISP's limit) using generic Windows drivers for both.

I it is mind boggling to me that Lenovo didn't just put in a dual-band WiFi card when the Yoga 2 Pro launched. It would've cost them like what, $15 extra per computer that they easily could've passed on to consumers (if I'm already dropping $1300 on a computer, I don't care if I have to spend $1315 to get a WiFi card that doesn't suck. So odd.

At 10k+ the difference in purchasing cost per unit is even less, a little more than € 2,- extra for the standard AC version (non Lenovo specific) compared the the standard 7260N.

So thanks to the purchasing and financial people the Yoga 2 Pro got 2 Euros cheaper.

And a lot less usable.

It seems those people got a internal correction as all new Yoga 13 machines (Y2P and Y2 13) are equiped with the better and more expensive 7260AC...

Options

5 Posts

10-26-2014

canada

6 Signins

30 Page Views

• Views: 30
  • Message 1442 of 1678

2014-10-26, 3:51 AM

My Yoga 2 Pro is 2month old and all went well until it slowed down 5 days ago.

My download speeds are slower than on my other computers but actually better then what others have been quoting (16Mbps vs an expected of around 30Mbps). But even with those 16Mbps of down speed, opening any page on any of the browsers can easily take 10seconds (my old galaxy nexus phone is now quicker).

I've followed all possible fixes (with no success) but I haven't been able to downgrade to 17.0.1.5: I've followed Mattrices's suggestions; uninstalled the driver to a point where the N7260 is no longer detected, but when I run the Lenovo driver file I keep getting messages that "a newer product version is already installed`"....

Any idea on what I'm doing wrong??

Also,
. Has anyone an idea of why the problem appears so suddenly (no recent upgrades, malware, software…)?
. Why does it take so long to open simple webpages with a slow but in theory functional download speed?

Options

93 Posts

12-31-2013

Sweden

280 Signins

1736 Page Views

• Views: 1736
  • Message 1443 of 1678

2014-10-26, 18:48 PM

wrote:

My Yoga 2 Pro is 2month old and all went well until it slowed down 5 days ago.

My download speeds are slower than on my other computers but actually better then what others have been quoting (16Mbps vs an expected of around 30Mbps). But even with those 16Mbps of down speed, opening any page on any of the browsers can easily take 10seconds (my old galaxy nexus phone is now quicker).

I've followed all possible fixes (with no success) but I haven't been able to downgrade to 17.0.1.5: I've followed Mattrices's suggestions; uninstalled the driver to a point where the N7260 is no longer detected, but when I run the Lenovo driver file I keep getting messages that "a newer product version is already installed`"....

Any idea on what I'm doing wrong??

Also,
. Has anyone an idea of why the problem appears so suddenly (no recent upgrades, malware, software…)?
. Why does it take so long to open simple webpages with a slow but in theory functional download speed?

Have you gone into Device Manager / Network adapters and right clicked on Intel(R) Wireless-N 7260 and selected "Uninstall" ? This should completely remove the driver from your PC.  (Alternatively you can select Uninstall from the Driver Tab in the Intel(R) Wireless-N 7260 configuration in Device Manager).

Also, remove Intel PROSet/Wireless Software (you need to do this from "Programs and Features" in the Control Panel). I have no idea what the Intel PROSet/Wireless Software is or why it is there in the first place however it appears to be bloat ware that screws up and slows down the network - after removing this my network is fast without the annoying 10 seconds or so wait that you describe. My advice... if you do not need a program on your PC or worse, do not know what it is - get rid of it!

Please give feedback if this helped your problems.

Options

5 Posts

10-26-2014

canada

6 Signins

30 Page Views

• Message 1444 of 1678

2014-10-26, 21:25 PM

Thanks for the help!

I've finally managed to downgrade to 17.0.1.5. Somehow only uninstalling didn't work in my case: it kept automatically loading an old driver from 2013 or giving me the "newer product version..." message. What  ended up doing the trick was selecting the specific driver in the driver folder.

I've also removed the Inel PROSet/Wireless software as suggested but there is absolutely no improvement.

Following some suggestions on the Intel forum, I've tried upgrading again to 17.1.0.19, going to the advanced setting and disabling the uAPSD. Apparently that worked for a few people but in my case it only got me the "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)"  error message after the computer hibernates.

So it's back to 17.0.1.5.  Very Very frustrating !!! The only comforting fact after spending countless hours on the Intel forum was to realize that the problem is not only with the Y2P but litteraly every computer running the Intel 7260 (N and often AC). The big advantage that the non-Lenovo owners have, is that they can choose which WiFi card they want to upgrade to.

I guess I'm stuck upgrading to the Intel AC 7260 Wifi card.

Options

265 Posts

07-04-2014

EU

924 Signins

7415 Page Views

• Views: 7415
  • Message 1445 of 1678

2014-10-27, 12:03 PM

At the moment I'm testing the Yoga 2 13 with both the 7260N (PN 20200409 OEM Y2Pro) and the 7260AC (PN20220385, not the Yoga 2 13certified 20200617) on several routers and access points.

The driver version that is giving me the optimal results is 17.0.2.5  (dated 2014-04-16)

+ Able to connect to all different routers/access points
o Signal strength is comparable to others laptops, range is quite okay
o Speeds are limited, but acceptable (80~150 Mbps)
-  Still noticing small drops in the datatransfer (system then is holding/waiting for a few seconds; no such problem with wired ethernet connection via USB3 port replicator)

Hope this might help.

Options

1 Posts

11-01-2014

UK

1 Signins

14 Page Views

• Views: 14
  • Message 1446 of 1678

2014-11-01, 19:30 PM

I have had my new Yoga2 11  for a week and I have spent maybe 12 hours of my valuable time pissing about trying to fix the wifi, I have changed all the power settings several times, I  have updated the drivers,, I have changed my router....      but the wifi remains slow when working, and then drops out, gives me limited i.e. zero connection.

In rooms where other devices run at decent speed, and  phones and $100 tablets can run skype ... in the same room I get 1 square on my Lenovo, and painfully slow downloads... then it drops out again.   When I google it I can see these problemss going back for months! This is just pathetic. A decent laptop ruined by a don't-give-a-toss suport.

Options

5 Posts

10-26-2014

canada

6 Signins

30 Page Views

• Message 1447 of 1678

2014-11-01, 21:16 PM

After having tryed everythin except changing the Wifi Card, I just spend 2hours on the phone with various techs at Lenovo customer service.

They partially aknowledged that there was a problem with the Intel card but that "these problems could happen with all Wifi Cards".

After multiple remote testing and prompting I was told that they could fix the problem but my 3 year extended guarantee only covers hardware problems and since it's a driver problem it falls under "software problems" for which I'm not covered.

But as luck would have it, if I pay 99$ they can transfer me to the software department who will be able to fix that specific problem (and any recurrence of the problem within 72h). Hearing my reluctance to pay for a problem that is intermittent and for which no good driver is available I was guaranteed that it would be fixed or my money back. I also should "view it as a learning experience".

I ended up paying mostly because I was curious and really need my computer to work (and paritally because I was looking forward to seeing them fail and get my money).

They ended up doing basic stuff:

. cleaning the temp files, removing some programs from the start up, running an antivirus, cheching the driver (all things that I had already done).

. they also did and ip reset, winsock reset and flush hdns (which I hadn't done but know how to do)

The surprising thing was that it sped up my computer to "pre problem" levels: acceptable 30Mbps but still longer than average times to load pages.

Moral of the "learning experience": I lost 99$, will never buy a Lenovo product again but maybe doing an ip reset, winsock reset or flush hdns worked in my case.

Options

93 Posts

12-31-2013

Sweden

280 Signins

1736 Page Views

• Views: 1736
  • Message 1448 of 1678

2014-11-01, 22:08 PM

wrote:

Moral of the "learning experience": I lost 99$, will never buy a Lenovo product again but maybe doing an ip reset, winsock reset or flush hdns worked in my case.

Thanks for the post - I also tried your / Lenovos suggestion however it did not work for me. For about five minutes my network was much faster, then I went down to one bar and lost the connection. Needed to put my computer to sleep and back to get a connection (alternative solution is to disable and re-enable the network driver).

Just to help other users, here is a more detailed description of what you were told to do:

a.      Press Windows +X.
b.      Click Command prompt (Admin mode)
c.      Type ‘netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt’
d.      Type ‘netsh winsock reset’
e.      Type ‘ipconfig /flushdns’
f.      Reboot the computer.

I also share with your frustration and disappointment with this product and the lack of support from Lenovo.

Options

7 Posts

11-20-2013

United States

18 Signins

65 Page Views

• Views: 65
  • Message 1449 of 1678

2014-11-04, 6:44 AM

What router are you using? I too upgraded my but I'm still not getting stellar speed, and I am wondering if it's because I still am using an old wireless N router.

Options

1 Posts

11-04-2014

United States

11 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 1450 of 1678

2014-11-04, 13:14 PM

Has it been confirmed that the recently built Y2Ps come with the AC card installed?  Is there anyway to tell from the SKU?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms